• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Refueling Rules
11-05-2019, 05:54 AM,
Refueling Rules
Some time ago I had a look at the rather poorly worded Refueling rules. I created a test scenario to get a better understanding and I got some clear results. I thought I would share these as I have found them useful. My understanding may not be correct in every detail but I haven't found an example in play that contradicts it. This is how I think it works...   

A) Midnight Turn

First Test

This test determines if a unit gains Low Fuel status. It applies to all units except those that did not move/assault in the last 24 hours and those that are exempt due to type (Foot, Ski, Bicycle, Horse, Naval and Rail). Units already Low Fuel are not affected.

A unit will pass the test if a randomly generated percentage is less than the Local Supply Value. If they fail they become Low Fuel. Isolated units subject to the test always fail as they have a Local Supply Value of zero.

Second Test

A second test is then performed to see if refueling takes place for all non-Isolated units currently with Low Fuel (including those which have just failed the First Test).

A unit passes the test if it is within the Modified Command Range of its HQ and that HQ is not Out of Command.

Passing this test removes the Low Fuel status.

Note that this means that no unit will have Low Fuel if it passes the second test, regardless of the Local Supply Value.

B) Non-Midnight Turns  

The test determines if refueling takes place. Once again a non-Isolated unit must be within the Modified Command Range of its HQ and that HQ cannot be Out of Command. Additionally it requires a randomly generated percentage to be less than the Refuel Percentage value (as given in the Parameter Data). Note that the Local Supply Value is not part of this calculation.

Passing this test removes the Low Fuel status.

Refueling (midnight or non-midnight) is indirectly affected by the Local Supply Value of its controlling HQ as this affects the probability that the HQ is in Command. And the range of the controlling HQ to its higher HQ is relevant as it also affects the probability that the controlling HQ will be in Command. But the range of the unit to the controlling HQ is not relevant other than it must be in the Modified Command Range (i.e. Nominal Command Range adjusted for the HQ being Disrupted, Broken or in Travel Mode, as displayed by using Hotkey 'K'). The Supply Example 4, given in the manual, starts to make sense once this is understood (although the stated Supply value of 60% should read 70%, as in Example 1). Supply Examples 2 and 3 are incorrect as they use the Local Supply Value in the calculation (or, at least, if they are correct then the program is in error).

Hopefully this adds clarity, rather than more confusion.
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2019, 08:35 AM,
RE: Refueling Rules
Thanks for posting. I agree that the text is confusing. I never really understood supply until now that I read your post.
11-05-2019, 01:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 02:02 PM by Ricky B.)
(11-05-2019, 05:54 AM)Green Wrote: ...

Refueling (midnight or non-midnight) is indirectly affected by the Local Supply Value of its controlling HQ as this affects the probability that the HQ is in Command....

Most of what you say does match my experience. Some of it around refueling when low fuel, I am not sure I have paid close enough attention to know for sure, but they generally make sense.

One point I want to clarify, that is not how it works (and easy to test!), is around the HQs being in command. The command test for HQs is based on the scenario global supply level:

Given a Global Supply Value of X% for the HQ side, the HQ will be in command if a randomly generated percentage is less than this Supply value.

So the local supply value plays no role in the command test, and I have seen/verified that is how it works - part of understanding setting up scenarios to work the way I have wanted. However, from in play, you can't see the global supply values. You have to check that through the Scenario editor, at least best I can tell/have known.

If you want to test it, create a new scenario. Set the scenario level supply values to 100 for one side, and 0 for the other side. For the side with a scenario supply level of 100, add a 5 point supply source on the map, for the other, add a 100 point supply source. Add an HQ for each side, set the turn length to 10 or whatever you would like. Run the scenario. You will find that the HQ for the side with the 100 scenario supply level will always be in command, and the other will always be out of command.

Thanks for the analysis
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-05-2019, 05:41 PM,
Yes, I agree with that. It is Global Supply Values that are used in the Command Test. The manual is clear on this.

So I should have said "Refueling (midnight or non-midnight) is indirectly affected by the Global Supply Value of its controlling HQ as this affects the probability that the HQ is in Command.

Thanks for picking up on that.
11-05-2019, 07:44 PM,
Very helpful dialoge you have here gentlemen, very important and helpfull informations!
11-06-2019, 04:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 04:54 AM by ComradeP.)
Quote:However, from in play, you can't see the global supply values.

The friendly Global Supply Value is always visible at the bottom of the terrain info box.
11-06-2019, 07:53 AM,
In an attempt to add more 'clarity', here are my revised versions of the four examples given in the manual. I have used the term 'Global Supply Value' instead of 'Base Supply Value' as I found this confusing. Apparently they mean the same thing but 'Base Supply Value' is not used anywhere other than in these examples and the summary that follows them. For simplicity sake, rather than completely re-word the examples I have left them as unchanged as possible.

Supply Examples

Example 1: Command Test.

Suppose we have a Corps HQ with a command range of 12, a Divisional HQ, and that the Global Supply Value is 70%.

2 hex range calculation: If the Div HQ is 2 hexes from the Corps HQ, then the probability that the Div HQ will be in command is:

0.70 + 0.30 * (12/14 * 0.70) = 88%

12 hex range calculation: If the Div HQ is 12 hexes from the Corps HQ, then the probability that the Div HQ will be in command is:

0.70 + 0.30 * (12/24 * 0.70) = 80%

Conclusion: In this case, an increase in the distance of the Div HQ from the Corps HQ by 10 hexes resulted in a decrease of its command probability from 88% to 80%

Example 2. Refueling Test (and Command Test) - High Global Supply

Suppose that we have a Div HQ with a command range of 6 and a unit from this division that is Low On Fuel. Suppose that the Global Supply Value is 80% and that the Refuel Percentage is 30%. Suppose that this HQ has no superior HQ and consequently the Command Test is solely against the Global Supply Value (In other words, there is no possibility of a Range Command Test).

7 or greater hex range calculation: If the unit is 7 hexes or more from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is 0 since the unit is out of the command range of its HQ.

6 or less hex range calculation: If the unit is within 6 hexes from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.80 = 24%

Conclusion: You should move Low On Fuel units within the command range of their HQ for them to become refueled.

Example 3: Refueling Test (and Command Test) - Low Global Supply

Suppose that the situation is as before, but now that the Global Supply Value is 25%.

If the unit is 6 hexes or less from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.25 = 7.5%

Conclusion: Lower Global Supply Values mean less chance of a HQ being in Command and hence of subordinate units refueling, in this case a reduction from 24% to 7.5% per turn.

Example 4: Refueling Test (and Command Range Test)

Suppose that you take the situation from Example 1, of a Div HQ attached to a Corps HQ with command range of 12, and a Global Supply Value of 70%. Suppose there is a unit from the division that is Low On Fuel and is with the Command Range of the Div HQ.

12 hex range calculation: The Div HQ is 12 hexes from its Corps HQ, and so has an 80% chance of being in Command (see Example 1). Therefore the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.80 = 24%

2 hex range calculation: The Div HQ is 2 hexes from its Corps HQ, and so has an 88% probability of being in Command (see Example 1). Therefore the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.88 = 26.4%

Conclusion: Reducing ranges from HQ's to their higher HQ's improves the probability of being in Command and hence that of subordinate units refueling, in this case from 24% to 26.4%

Finally it all makes sense to me. Perhaps I am a bit slow but I still think that the wording of the manual is far from ideal.
11-06-2019, 09:57 AM,
(11-06-2019, 04:54 AM)ComradeP Wrote:
Quote:However, from in play, you can't see the global supply values.

The friendly Global Supply Value is always visible at the bottom of the terrain info box.

Ah good point, forgot that, but only when no units are selected - or an enemy unit. Or maybe some other situations too?
[Image: exercise.png]
12-19-2019, 10:14 PM,
(11-05-2019, 01:59 PM)Ricky B Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 05:54 AM)Green Wrote: ...

Refueling (midnight or non-midnight) is indirectly affected by the Local Supply Value of its controlling HQ as this affects the probability that the HQ is in Command....

Most of what you say does match my experience. Some of it around refueling when low fuel, I am not sure I have paid close enough attention to know for sure, but they generally make sense.

One point I want to clarify, that is not how it works (and easy to test!), is around the HQs being in command. The command test for HQs is based on the scenario global supply level:

Given a Global Supply Value of X% for the HQ side, the HQ will be in command if a randomly generated percentage is less than this Supply value.

So the local supply value plays no role in the command test, and I have seen/verified that is how it works - part of understanding setting up scenarios to work the way I have wanted. However, from in play, you can't see the global supply values. You have to check that through the Scenario editor, at least best I can tell/have known.

If you want to test it, create a new scenario. Set the scenario level supply values to 100 for one side, and 0 for the other side. For the side with a scenario supply level of 100, add a 5 point supply source on the map, for the other, add a 100 point supply source. Add an HQ for each side, set the turn length to 10 or whatever you would like. Run the scenario. You will find that the HQ for the side with the 100 scenario supply level will always be in command, and the other will always be out of command.

Thanks for the analysis
Rick

I suppose this means that a bn which is Isolated with its regimental HQ still can recover from Disrupted but never regain ammo after firing ?
12-20-2019, 04:24 AM,
(12-19-2019, 10:14 PM)pax_xap Wrote: I suppose this means that a bn which is Isolated with its regimental HQ still can recover from Disrupted but never regain ammo after firing ?

That is correct.