• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Viet Nam
10-27-2019, 09:32 AM,
Viet Nam
I've been playing some Divided Ground—Viet Nam and have noticed the huge disparity between the point values of US forces as opposed to the Vietnamese. Since it seems like a flaw I was wondering how that is determined and if the new version will address that. In fact, is the new version going to take anything at all from the Divided Ground version?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2019, 06:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 06:48 PM by Jason Petho.)
RE: Viet Nam
(10-27-2019, 09:32 AM)Scud Wrote: I've been playing some Divided Ground—Viet Nam and have noticed the huge disparity between the point values of US forces as opposed to the Vietnamese. Since it seems like a flaw I was wondering how that is determined and if the new version will address that. In fact, is the new version going to take anything at all from the Divided Ground version?

Dave

Not at a thing, it is built from scratch from the ground up.

Understandably though, there would be a point value difference, as the PAVN/VC were willing to sacrifice men to achieve their goals.
Send this user an email
10-27-2019, 09:05 PM,
(10-27-2019, 06:15 PM)Jason Petho Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 09:32 AM)Scud Wrote: In fact, is the new version going to take anything at all from the Divided Ground version?

Not at a thing, it is built from scratch from the ground up.

+1

I have never even seen Divided Ground much less played it.  It is just something I have heard about.
10-27-2019, 10:11 PM,
It was a good game, just now that I have sampled the Vietnam game, will never go back! A lot of the scenario's didn't seem to have a HQ structure, and formations were wrong, Ie wrong units that were never there and such. Still have it, still play some times, but it doesn't hold my interest. Our Vietnam game is way better.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
10-28-2019, 05:08 AM,
(10-27-2019, 06:15 PM)Jason Petho Wrote: Understandably though, there would be a point value difference, as the PAVN/VC were willing to sacrifice men to achieve their goals.

Air cav units are 7 pts in the scenario I'm playing now, marines I think were around 10 points each. Vietnamese regulars were the usual 3 pts. I might be off a little, but not much. Anyway, US is way high.

(10-27-2019, 10:11 PM)Warhorse Wrote: It was a good game, just now that I have sampled the Vietnam game, will never go back! A lot of the scenario's didn't seem to have a HQ structure, and formations were wrong, Ie wrong units that were never there and such. Still have it, still play some times, but it doesn't hold my interest. Our Vietnam game is way better.

Yeah, I like it, so hoping to LOVE the new one.

Thanks guys,
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-28-2019, 05:56 AM,
(10-28-2019, 05:08 AM)Scud Wrote: Air cav units are 7 pts in the scenario I'm playing now, marines I think were around 10 points each. Vietnamese regulars were the usual 3 pts. I might be off a little, but not much. Anyway, US is way high.

Yea, those are crazy high values and definitely not in line with CSVN.

Marines are worth 7
Airborne are worth 6
Regular Army are worth 4 or 5 (5 for A quality)
Send this user an email
10-28-2019, 06:15 AM,
(10-28-2019, 05:56 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Yea, those are crazy high values and definitely not in line with CSVN.

Marines are worth 7
Airborne are worth 6

Just curious, but how do you come up with the point values for each type of unit. Same with the other games in the series. Is there a formula you follow?
Send this user an email
10-28-2019, 08:09 AM,
(10-28-2019, 06:15 AM)Scud Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 05:56 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Yea, those are crazy high values and definitely not in line with CSVN.

Marines are worth 7
Airborne are worth 6

Just curious, but how do you come up with the point values for each type of unit. Same with the other games in the series. Is there a formula you follow?

I have software that calculates the soft, hard and VP value of each infantry platoon, depending on the weapons it has, the amount of men it has and the training it has.
Send this user an email
11-03-2019, 05:14 AM,
If memory serves correctly the reason American units have such a point value is due to an abstract representation of the political cost at home of dead soldiers and daily death counts on TV.

You could take all your objectives, but if at too high of a cost you actually lose.

So as with the real event you could win the battle and lose the war.

Even the board games I have had over the years had very tough penalties for American losses.
11-03-2019, 08:00 AM,
(11-03-2019, 05:14 AM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: If memory serves correctly the reason American units have such a point value is due to an abstract representation of the political cost at home of dead soldiers and daily death counts on TV.

You could take all your objectives, but if at too high of a cost you actually lose.

So as with the real event you could win the battle and lose the war.

Even the board games I have had over the years had very tough penalties for American losses.

Indeed!

A lot of this is handled through the CSEE system now.

"If any American Company receives more than 50% casualties, the US Side loses 50VP"  Or whatever, something along those lines.
Send this user an email