• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
01-04-2020, 03:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 03:15 AM by Simulacra53.)
RE: Missing original graphics in Eagles Strike update?
(01-04-2020, 01:51 AM)OCompass Rose Wrote: I am trying to sort this all out so I can help you guys out.

From what has been stated in this thread, the following JTS Direct Download versions of the following 3 titles are missing the "Original Unit Graphics" (non-top-down view):

Eagles Strike
SB Demo--Grenada
The Proud and the Few

Are there any others or is this it?

Thanks

That’s correct for the update files - which I downloaded to verify the original unit art files.

As for the full download missing art files - I can only confirm PF, others have confirmed ES.

Full FWW and Vietnam downloads included the art files.
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2020, 07:33 AM,
(01-04-2020, 01:51 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I am trying to sort this all out so I can help you guys out.

From what has been stated in this thread, the following JTS Direct Download versions of the following 3 titles are missing the "Original Unit Graphics" (non-top-down view):

Eagles Strike
SB Demo--Grenada
The Proud and the Few

Are there any others or is this it?

Thanks

I have :
-Dien bien Phu
-Eagle strike
-First World War
-Pacific War
-Tour ouf Duty
-Vietnam

And Only Eagle strike is missing the "Original Unit Graphics"
01-05-2020, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2020, 02:24 PM by Scud.)
a_Arrow  Original Eagles Strike Graphics
Here is a link to the original Eagles Strike unit graphics and map graphics.

.zip   ES Original Files.zip (Size: 15.61 MB / Downloads: 12)

If you guys need anything else, let me know.
01-05-2020, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 06:24 AM by Simulacra53.)
Thanks for sharing.

In the meantime I’ve bought AtrR, but here imo the problem is worse. The original 2d vehicles file does not match the new format and as a result it is missing vehicles in certain scenarios.

It is a bit difficult to understand why people are (a) forced to use a mod - and call it an update, while (b) breaking the original game doing it. At the least this can be seen as a bit messy, and I do recognize the effort that goes into such a venture, don’t get me wrong. OTOH these games are not freeware nor cheap.

So with all the good will of niche gaming it leaves me a bit disappointed.

Potential new buyers should be aware that they cannot just revert to the old art files as is.

...for now I am going to figure out how to “fix” this for myself.
01-05-2020, 09:07 PM,
...I think it is not limited to AotR, just a quick check reveals more differences, for example (update “mod” vs original)

2DVehicles100.bmp
AotR 200x1008 > 200x672
PatF 200x432 > 200x288
VN 200x456 > 200x408
RV 200x1600 > 200x1128
FWW 200x120 > 200x120

Same with Unit, Guns and Weapon files.
So depending on scenario you’ll be missing textures if reverting to the old graphics files.

Wasn’t this tested?
Or was it just assumed that everybody would be loving the now standardized mod art?

...bit more than just disappointed now, especially AotR which was bought without discount. I can only revert RV to pre-October update, all other titles I bought after.

Still hoping I am wrong, but don’t think so.
01-05-2020, 10:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 06:26 AM by Simulacra53.)
To summarize the SB graphics issues - post update.

1. Missing original files in full game
2. Missing original files in update
3. Different texture file layout original vs update

Not all titles have all three issues, but I expect #3 to have the biggest impact.

To me being forced to play with the top down mod - as it is currently implemented - is a game killer. I did not like the mod when it was still a mod, I really dislike it as the default art.

In short the “fall back” to the original graphics files feature was insufficiently tested and cannot be guaranteed to be working as advertised. My sample is limited, so I cannot determine the full impact.
01-05-2020, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 06:30 AM by Simulacra53.)
RE: Original Eagles Strike Graphics
(01-05-2020, 04:40 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Here is a link to the original Eagles Strike unit graphics and map graphics.

If you guys need anything else, let me know.

Examples:

AotR PzIIIE
[Image: AotR_PzIIIE.jpg]

AotR MP-40
[Image: AotR_MP40.jpg]

AotR FmW-41
[Image: AotR_FmW-41.jpg]

AotR - Tauchpanzer III
[Image: AotR_TauchpanzerIII.jpg]

Viet Nam - M-16A-1
[Image: Vietnam_M16A1.jpg]

Viet Nam - PRC-25
[Image: Vietnam_PRC25.jpg]

I’ve checked some random scenarios in PF, RV and FWW, but I could not find more missing or incorrectly mapped content - however that's just a quick glance, not a full methodical verification. Not the way I want to spend my sunday looking for missing content, so for now that's about it for my “beta” testing.

To repeat my earlier post:

Summarizing the SB graphics issues - post update.

1. Missing original files in full game
2. Missing original files in update
3. Different texture file layout original vs update

Not all titles have all three problems, but if applicable I expect #3 to have the biggest impact.

Keep in mind
- my sample is limited to five SB games
- if you have bought the SB game post October update you cannot roll back the update
- I may belong to a minority that does not like the "standard mod" graphics

Helmet Rolleyes
01-06-2020, 09:35 AM,
Per Rich Hamilton--JTS, he said for you guys to grab the appropriate update(s) off their site and apply them as two of the updates were updated.

http://johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html

If you still have problems contact him at JTS support.

[email protected]
01-06-2020, 09:59 AM,
(01-06-2020, 09:35 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Per Rich Hamilton--JTS, he said for you guys to grab the appropriate update(s) off their site and apply them as two of the updates were updated.

[email protected]

Thanks for the update.

Did he give a clue which two updates were updated, or what those updates should fix?

The Updates page is not showing any changes (at least not at the time of writing).
01-06-2020, 10:41 AM,
(01-06-2020, 09:59 AM)Simulacra53 Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 09:35 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Per Rich Hamilton--JTS, he said for you guys to grab the appropriate update(s) off their site and apply them as two of the updates were updated.

[email protected]

Thanks for the update.

Did he give a clue which two updates were updated, or what those updates should fix?

The Updates page is not showing any changes (at least not at the time of writing).

Sorry, no he didn't.