• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

** Black Eagle and Barbary Lion
10-12-2019, 01:52 PM,
This Just In  ** Black Eagle and Barbary Lion
Gentlemen,

After two hard-fought games against our own Ed S., I've posted an updated version of ** Black Eagle and Barbary Lion in the scenario depot. It incorporates lessons learned from our two test games. If you're going to play the scenario, just be sure all players have the most up to date files.

Scenario Description:

[Gembloux, 51 kilometers SE of Brussels, Belgium]: [H2H][HISB][GD]: On May 13, 1940, the Germans and French fought the first real tank battle of the Second World War near Hannut, Belgium. The Germans forced the French Army's Cavalry Corps to retreat, and continued their advance westwards, hoping to beat the main British and French armies to their planned defensive positions on the Dyle Line. On May 14th, elements of General Hoepner's XVI Armeekorps (mot.) encountered infantry of France's 1st Army near Ernage. Fierce fighting throughout the day brought Hoepner's troops to a halt, and forced the Germans to realize that they were too late; the Dyle Line was indeed occupied. The Germans withdrew for the night, but planned to hurl the 3rd and 4th Panzer Divisions against the French in a frontal attack the next day. The center of the French line was held by the men of the 1ere Division Marocaine (1st Moroccan Division). This unit, which had a proud tradition dating back to the First World War, was considered an elite unit. As the sun rose on the 15th, the men of the 1st Moroccan Division prepared to add their own chapter to the unit's illustrious history. [Recommend play with Variable Visibility and Extreme Assault off; Armor Facing optional.] [The title of the scenario refers to the national animals of Germany and Morocco, the Black Eagle and the Barbary Lion, respectively.]

I'm sincerely hoping that some of the veterans on this board will give my scenario a try. I won major victories playing both sides, but given that I designed the scenario, I have some insight that first-time players won't have. Happy hunting!
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2019, 03:46 AM,
RE: ** Black Eagle and Barbary Lion
Guys, this is a blast from either side. I've lost it from both and had fun the whole way through.
Try it. You'll like it.

Farmer

HSL
10-13-2019, 04:21 AM,
Hey, Thanks Ed for the follow up feedback!  Wink

I downloaded it today and it looks kind of cool! There seems to be a lot going on in this one in the time allotted! It could go either way. Twenty-five turns and some hefty victory point hexes in the forward lines. 
Good mix of forces and a nice map with rolling hills! Can't beat that for starters. 

At any rate Alex did a wonderful job in producing it! Smile
10-13-2019, 07:09 AM,
A new featured scenario for the homepage.  Big Grin
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-13-2019, 05:10 PM,
I have just down loaded this scenario.
Then I had a look at the map and all the units.
What a lot of work has gone into this, it looks brilliant. Well done to Schwerpunkt75.
So, soon enough I will play this against somebody. I have a few battles in play at the moment.
If you like close quarters infantry and street fighting I think this will be a classic.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
10-14-2019, 07:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2019, 07:40 AM by Schwerpunkt75.)
Thanks for the compliments. I hope the scenario lives up to your expectations. I prioritized playability over historical accuracy, although historical accuracy was a close second. And yes, a ton of research and painstaking work (especially on the map) went into creating this scenario.

When I was researching this scenario, I was surprised to discover that historically, this action was an undeniable tactical victory for the French. Most people think only of the severe defeat suffered by the French in 1940. What this battle (and hopefully this scenario) shows is that when well-led and well-equipped, French troops were more than capable of achieving victory. It also shows the limitations of early war Blitzkrieg tactics when faced with well-planned fixed defenses and determined defenders.

One last thing: this scenario and the Night Rules scenario ** Find a Way Through are intended as "brother and sister" scenarios. They both depict actions in central Belgium, with some of the same units involved (especially on the German side) and just three days apart.
10-19-2019, 12:37 AM,
Alex is that you?
Or...better said Sasha?...;)

I'll be happy to download and give her a run.

Regards,

Dan
10-22-2019, 10:37 AM,
(10-19-2019, 12:37 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Alex is that you?
Or...better said Sasha?...;)

I'll be happy to download and give her a run.

Regards,

Dan

Thanks Dan! Keep me posted on how its going.