• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Balanced H2H scenarios - List!
09-30-2019, 06:50 PM,
Balanced H2H scenarios - List!
Hi! I thought it might be a good idea to create a list of well balanced and not so well balanced scenarios for H2H play! Unfortunately, many scenario-descriptions (at least in Smolensk and Sicily...) don't say a word about how you're supposed to play the scenario (H2H or vs. AI only? If so, which side?). Some scenarios might offer a good challenge if you play against the AI, but if you're up against a human opponent who has an understanding of the core game mechanics, you're simply not going to win. 

So please share your experience! I'm planning to update the list with your suggestions from time to time. I think it would be better if we list the "file names" rather than the scenarios' "titles" (because the list for selecting the scenario uses the filenames...). You can also add reasons to your choices but here in the opening post, I want to keep a simple list for quick reference.

WELL BALANCED FOR H2H (both sides can win)

UNBALANCED FOR H2H (very challenging for one side - pls. mention which side)

NOT RECOMMENDABLE FOR H2H (clearly unwinnable for one side)
  • Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E (unwinnable for axis)
  • Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E_Alt (unwinnable for axis)
  • Smolensk/#0730_01: Yelnya2_Alt (unwinnable for soviets)
Quote this message in a reply
09-30-2019, 06:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 07:11 PM by Mowgli.)
RE: Balanced H2H scenarios - List!
Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E (unwinnable for axis) & Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E_Alt (unwinnable for axis)
The Gela objective is just too dominant (200 VPs). If the US player just shoves as many forces as possible into Gela, the Italians can't do anything about it. Even if they manage to cut Gela off its supplies, it's practically impossible to disrupt all of the ca. 10 US units in Gela (trenches, village) at once. The best the Italians can reach (take all the other objectives and don't (!) attack Gela to prevent casualties) is a minor defeat in this case. It would be much more interesting if Gela was worth 100 VPs - this would incite the US player to also keep an eye on the other objectives, forcing him to spread out his forces more. Right now, it's just "let's all move into Gela!". Alternatively, a lower max. stacking limit would also help the Italians (any assault attacker).

Smolensk/#0730_01: Yelnya2_Alt (unwinnable for soviets)
Due to the alternative PDT, the soviet units are even slower in the predominant soft ground conditions. You will have a hard time to reach the objective locations even with no enemy interference! Unfortunately, the Germans have at least as many troops as you, well positioned and dug-in at bottlenecks. The alternative scenario makes the soviet forces even weaker (the tank battalions are totally depleted!), so the soviets simply can't win this one. They're up with inferior, slow and outnumbered forces against a well prepared force guarding bottlenecks.
09-30-2019, 08:53 PM,
(09-30-2019, 06:59 PM)Mowgli Wrote: Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E (unwinnable for axis) & Sicily/#0710_03: MobGrp_E_Alt (unwinnable for axis)
The Gela objective is just too dominant (200 VPs). If the US player just shoves as many forces as possible into Gela, the Italians can't do anything about it. Even if they manage to cut Gela off its supplies, it's practically impossible to disrupt all of the ca. 10 US units in Gela (trenches, village) at once. The best the Italians can reach (take all the other objectives and don't (!) attack Gela to prevent casualties) is a minor defeat in this case. It would be much more interesting if Gela was worth 100 VPs - this would incite the US player to also keep an eye on the other objectives, forcing him to spread out his forces more. Right now, it's just "let's all move into Gela!". Alternatively, a lower max. stacking limit would also help the Italians (any assault attacker).

Smolensk/#0730_01: Yelnya2_Alt (unwinnable for soviets)
Due to the alternative PDT, the soviet units are even slower in the predominant soft ground conditions. You will have a hard time to reach the objective locations even with no enemy interference! Unfortunately, the Germans have at least as many troops as you, well positioned and dug-in at bottlenecks. The alternative scenario makes the soviet forces even weaker (the tank battalions are totally depleted!), so the soviets simply can't win this one. They're up with inferior, slow and outnumbered forces against a well prepared force guarding bottlenecks.

Gent:  Smoke7

I put together a similar list (started in June 2017) and add to it periodically since that date. 

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...t=kool+kat

You also can review player ratings and comments in the scenario database to help formulate ideas on balance and enjoyment.

I wrote a post on "PzC Tips and Tactics" that is helpful for newbies and vets too.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=70089

I also wrote a post on Modern Campaigns Tactics and Strategies that is informative.

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-01-2019, 06:02 AM,
Thanks to you both for sharing your opinions on the scenarios.

Please put the same information in the rating and comments when reporting a game, if I check a scenario before playing it I look there.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
10-01-2019, 07:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2019, 07:32 AM by Kool Kat.)
(10-01-2019, 06:02 AM)KAreil Wrote: Thanks to you both for sharing your opinions on the scenarios.

Please put the same information in the rating and comments when reporting a game, if I check a scenario before playing it I look there.

Gent:  Smoke7

All of my reviews are listed in the respective scenario ratings and comments sections!  Smile

Players are not going to search for a forum scenario listing... but will read and review scenario ratings and comments prior to playing them!  Big Grin
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
10-01-2019, 09:00 PM,
(09-30-2019, 08:53 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: I put together a similar list (started in June 2017) and add to it periodically since that date. 

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...t=kool+kat

You also can review player ratings and comments in the scenario database to help formulate ideas on balance and enjoyment.

I wrote a post on "PzC Tips and Tactics" that is helpful for newbies and vets too.

I also wrote a post on Modern Campaigns Tactics and Strategies that is informative.

Hey Kool Kat! Sorry I didn't know about your list! It should be a sticky thread!
10-02-2019, 12:35 AM,
Might as well make them all balanced so people will play them. I don't care about balance. No war or battle was ever put on hold until things were balanced. Maybe assign different objs to each side, some same, some different. Just because you think the town is important, your opp may not think so. Also, when you take an obj, it should change to your flag. If your opp recaptures it, you won't know it unless you have reasonable distance LOS. Something different.
10-03-2019, 04:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2019, 05:54 PM by Mowgli.)
(10-02-2019, 12:35 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Might as well make them all balanced so people will play them.  I don't care about balance.  No war or battle was ever put on hold until things were balanced.  Maybe assign different objs to each side, some same, some different.  Just because you think the town is important, your opp may not think so.  Also, when you take an obj, it should change to your flag.  If your opp recaptures it, you won't know it unless you have reasonable distance LOS.  Something different.

I agree that symmetrical scenarios are not "realistic". But asymmetrical scenarios can be balanced too! Who can retreat better? How many casualties can you cause while retreating? How long can you delay? I think that the game objectives can be set in a way to make these scenarios balanced. 

Player-specific objectives and fog of war for objectives are definitively interesting ideas. But I'm not sure whether the game engine allows your ideas to be implemented. I haven't taken a look into scenario-creating yet (I'm a bit put off by the fact that you can't modify the map...).