• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Complete Toolbar
09-08-2019, 06:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM by MattP.)
Help  Complete Toolbar
So I've just started messing about with Panzer Campaigns.   Looks very interesting.   I've played a lot of JTS nap games, but these are new to me.   Anyhoo….

Question - the setting for "Show Complete Toolbar" doesn't actually change the buttons in the toolbar at all.   I find myself having to go the menu constantly to check command radius and other mundane tasks.   Is this normal?

I notice in Panzer Battles it has a far more extensive toolbar requiring very little menu interaction.  But Panzer Campaigns not so much.

Is this normal or have I messed something up?  Help appreciated!  

(note using Kursk '43 Gold with Jison Map and Counter Mod).

Thanks!

Matt
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2019, 09:16 AM,
RE: Complete Toolbar
It is normal and you have not messed anything up.

The 'Complete Toolbar' is only relevant if you are using a screen resolution that does not otherwise allow the entire toolbar to be displayed.

The Panzer Battles interface has a number of features that have not yet been included in Panzer Campaigns.
09-08-2019, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2019, 09:43 AM by MattP.)
(09-08-2019, 09:16 AM)Green Wrote: It is normal and you have not messed anything up.

The 'Complete Toolbar' is only relevant if you are using a screen resolution that does not otherwise allow the entire toolbar to be displayed.

The Panzer Battles interface has a number of features that have not yet been included in Panzer Campaigns.

Thanks for responding.   So if i'm running in 640 x 420 or whatever, as when the game was probably developed, the very small toolbar as it appears on my screen, wouldn't fit?   Big Grin  

That's a shame, one of the few turn offs for me about the game is the amount of time spent going to the menus.    It really needs to be like Panzer Battles where there is a button for everything.    It's just lazy.....    Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed many JTS games and will probably continue to do so, but good lord man, put the buttons on the menu and make better graphics.   It's almost to the point where, why make good graphics, some modder will make better ones in his free time for us.
09-08-2019, 10:21 AM,
You have to remember that until the recent GOLD updates these games went through a long period without any work being done on them. The GOLD updates were primarily about improving the graphics and I think this was done extremely well. Whether these graphics could have been made better by a modder is a subjective judgement. Personally I have not seen anything that I think is superior.

Also there are Hotkeys for things such as Command Radius. More hotkeys would be desirable but the main ones are there.

It seems to me that work is being done to improve these old games but it a question of time and priorities. We just need to be patient.
09-08-2019, 11:17 AM,
(09-08-2019, 10:21 AM)Green Wrote: You have to remember that until the recent GOLD updates these games went through a long period without any work being done on them. The GOLD updates were primarily about improving the graphics and I think this was done extremely well. Whether these graphics could have been made better by a modder is a subjective judgement. Personally I have not seen anything that I think is superior.

Also there are Hotkeys for things such as Command Radius. More hotkeys would be desirable but the main ones are there.

It seems to me that work is being done to improve these old games but it a question of time and priorities. We just need to be patient.

I do understand that as I've been playing the Napoleonic series off and on for years.   I had written them a very long email a few years ago basically saying that the game engine is solid and the games are enjoyable, but they could be so much more so if they just spent some time making them look better.   I think I wrote this after playing Line of Battle Gettysburg on Vassal and noting that it just looked so much better.    It wasn't long after this, less than a year I think, that they started updating the ACW game graphics.   Believe me, I'm in no way looking for anything super amazing or 3d (and feel they should just dump the 3d views in the game and focus on the 2d stuff), but the games are really good to play PBEM, they would be even better is they just looked better.    Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.   I suspect the problem is that the native incredibly low resolution of the game is just so limiting but would probably require a big overhaul to change.  

As for the graphics being better in mods, you're right it is subjective.   And for me, Jison's mod for one is a massive improvement over the stock graphics, both functionally and aesthetically.    Being able to see who is in a trench alone is helpful.....

Anyway, they certainly don't price them like old games.   If they were selling them for $10 I'd have nothing to say.  But they aren't. 

Thanks for the tip on the hotkeys.  I'm just starting with this series, so it's helpful to know for sure. 

Matt
09-08-2019, 12:20 PM,
Can't agree enough, just about on everything you say. I especially agree that the 3d views should just be dumped altogether, IMO they are awful and not usable at all.
09-08-2019, 12:25 PM,
Hot keys are the way to go. I have a cheat sheet for all hotkeys beside me when ever I play. They have all the important commands covered.
09-08-2019, 12:36 PM,
Michael, do me a favor and email me that cheat sheet!
09-08-2019, 01:20 PM,
I should have mentioned that the Hotkeys are listed at the end of the pzc.pdf.
09-08-2019, 01:38 PM,
Thanks Green, appreciate it.

I played a bit of the Panzer Battles Demo earlier today and I have to say I really like it as well. Just jumped in a few minutes ago and picked up Rzhev '42, El Alamein '42, Smolensk '41, Tunisia '43, and the Mediterrean '41 game from Panzer Battles. I already have Market Garden and Kursk but am looking for something a bit different.

I've been going through the scenario ratings for the various games to look for something big but balanced to play by PBEM. Any thoughts?