• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Detached HQ Questions
08-06-2019, 08:55 AM,
Detached HQ Questions
For Panzer Campaigns

Besides the penalties described in the Detached Units section of the user guide, is there a reason to keep subordinate HQs in the command range of their superior headquarters? Is there a reason to maintain a chain of (not-detached) headquarters in the map?
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2019, 02:16 PM,
RE: Detached HQ Questions
Not sure if it falls under he Detached Units section, but it helps command and control - disruption recovery, low fuel/ammo checks and recovery.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-07-2019, 03:43 PM,
(08-06-2019, 08:55 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: For Panzer Campaigns

Besides the penalties described in the Detached Units section of the user guide, is there a reason to keep subordinate HQs in the command range of their superior headquarters? Is there a reason to maintain a chain of (not-detached) headquarters in the map?

HQs that are out of command penalize units under their command by halving their chance of recovery from disruption or broken status, so you prefer to have your HQs under command.

Look at the rule regarding the command test:

Basically, if the highest level HQ fails a check against the supply rating, then all lower HQs have to check their command capacity.

Assume that a corps HQ is the highest of one side in a game. Then any division HQ that is stacked with its corps HQ will have 100% chance of being in command; if it is exactly at that corps HQ's command range, then it will have a 50% chance of being in command; and if it's twice the corps HQ's command range away then division HQ will be out of command 33% of the time; etc.

Basically, the farther it is from the corps, the higher the risk of being out of command.

As I said, any units under an out of command HQ will have half their usual chance of recovering from disrupted or broken status.
08-09-2019, 10:04 AM,
So I conclude reading the manual again and your comments:
1. C / C + R is an important calculation to keep in mind
2. There is no additional penalty in the command test calculation for a detached HQ, but the fact that it is detached means that its probability to pass is <50%, i.e., R>C.
3. One has to use their best judgement. For small scenarios, this is not typically an issue. For large scenarios when advancing, where command ranges are short and distances are long, one needs to move the highest level HQ units away from supply sources, so that the command test probability is high throughout chain of HQs.  But, don't move the highest level HQ units too far from the supply sources!
08-09-2019, 11:05 AM,
(08-09-2019, 10:04 AM)HMCS Rosthern Wrote: So I conclude reading the manual again and your comments:
1. C / C + R is an important calculation to keep in mind
2. There is no additional penalty in the command test calculation for a detached HQ, but the fact that it is detached means that its probability to pass is <50%, i.e., R>C.
3. One has to use their best judgement. For small scenarios, this is not typically an issue. For large scenarios when advancing, where command ranges are short and distances are long, one needs to move the highest level HQ units away from supply sources, so that the command test probability is high throughout chain of HQs.  But, don't move the highest level HQ units too far from the supply sources!

That's about right!