• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Team Games Etiquette
07-18-2019, 07:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 07:44 AM by larsonney.)
Feedback Needed  Team Games Etiquette
Hello gents!

First a rant, then a question! 

Before I start...I'm not mentioning any specific members and have no wish to air any "dirty laundry". I will not mention a specific member or even allude to which team game, theater, etc. at any time in this post or even in my responses, so don't even ask!! I[i] don't want to be rude or disrespectful...that is not my intent with this post.[/i]

I sincerely want this to be civil and a discussion of player's opinions on team games. 

OK, here is the rant:

I recently left a team game because one of my teammates (Also the C-in-C of our team) would, before ending the team turn, do the following:
  • Review my front and move units he felt could be better positioned in the front line. This included retreating from enemy contact and moving my units forward/rear/sideways. This happened to units in transit and after I deployed them. 
  • Stopping/starting digging-in of units.
  • Often recommend, unsolicited, movement routes, placement suggestions, and even targeting suggestions for my units, from the divisional level down to individual units. TBH, I was OK with this one most of the time, although I would often ignore the helpful hints.

I addressed this behavior the first time it happened and quite vocally asked for it not to happen again. I consider this behavior to be rude and disrespectful to a fellow gamer...if I ask for help or suggestions in a team game, then by all means fire away! But trust your teammates to run their armies/corps and handle your own business.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not the smartest or best game player out there! Some of the movements/actions were indeed better than I had thought of!! However, with a victory rate of 65% thru 115 games in Panzer Campaigns, including numerous team games, I'm not the new guy off the boat either! I can usually hold my own over the length of a campaign, regardless of how stupid some of my tactical decisions are lol!!

Ultimately, I resigned from the game because it happened a second time, just a few turns later. 

Now here is my 2-part question:

Was I right or wrong to have an issue with this, and right or wrong to resign?! I agonized over it for a couple of days. I have left individual and team games before due to work, family, aka real life...but never like this. 

So...let me have it lads...don't hold back either way! Thanks! Jon
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2019, 07:50 AM,
RE: Team Games Etiquette
As you might guess there is no actual rules to cover a situation like this, so opinions may vary.  Wink 

Thanks for not giving any details as a bun fight on the forum about this would not be appreciated.

Personally I would have asked the C-in-C not to move any of my units without first discussing it with me before ending the turn, however I do have one exception that would be an obvious change for whoever is ending the turn and that is if I had left a unit in T mode in contact with an opponents unit and it had enough mp's to be deployed (maybe hidden in a stack).

Once it was clear this was my desire I would not expect it to happen a second time, one of the most interesting things about team games is that no one player is in overall control of all the units and members of the team have to accept that there will be a mix of abilities and experience within the team players.

So you did the correct thing a resigned from the game, however as everyone is different there may be players out there who would appreciate the C-in-C giving them a helping hand and would be happy with him making changes before ending the turn?  Smile
07-18-2019, 09:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 09:01 AM by Deturk.)
My 2 Cents  RE: Team Games Etiquette
You did the Right thing, larsonney.    I've had the same thing happen to me before, and left game also.   If a player is going to play as a Micro Manager, he doesn't belong in a Team game and should just play Solo.
07-18-2019, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2019, 01:20 PM by hub6actual.)
07-18-2019, 08:49 PM,
Well, I would do exactly the same..It is absolutely rude, even arogant, maybe for a few exceptions like T-mode unit in contact with enemy with MPs left to deploy as described above, but overall, that´s not the point of a team game!
07-18-2019, 11:09 PM,
Hey Jon:  Smoke7

You did the right thing and resigned from the team game.  Smile

I believe you know that too!  Wink

Micro managing a game... or in real life - think a micro managing boss (Yep, I worked for one of those too!)  Batman eek does not sit well with me. I would do all I could to either avoid or get out of those situations asap.

No regrets. No worries. Move on! Thanks for sharing Jon.  Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-19-2019, 05:14 AM,
(07-18-2019, 08:49 PM)Fhil Wrote:  maybe for a few exceptions like T-mode unit in contact with enemy with MPs left to deploy as described above, 

Indeed, I would be angry with myself if I had a unit chewed to pieces after making a silly mistake like leaving it in T mode and would thank anyone who spotted it and corrected the situation before the turn was returned.  Wink
07-19-2019, 11:58 PM,
Thanks for the feedback guys! I completely agree with the units in transport exceptions! Ultimately, I'm bummed it didn't work out...onward and upward! Cheers, J
07-20-2019, 02:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2019, 03:03 AM by Indragnir.)
(07-19-2019, 11:58 PM)larsonney Wrote: Thanks for the feedback guys! I completely agree with the units in transport exceptions! Ultimately, I'm bummed it didn't work out...onward and upward! Cheers, J

I think all team games should be played for fun, so no fun no game. You did well.
I, as CiC in many games, also check not fired artillery units. You wouldn't imagine how many of this you find every turn. That and T-mode spotted units are the things I do on my fellow teammate's turns.
On germany (Danube or Bolt) team games I can push things aside from roads to bring forward the bridge-builders on the Danube southern part if they are lagging behind but that's all haha.
07-21-2019, 12:56 AM,
SPOT ON! Before anyone would ever DREAM of moving MY units he had better come to me first and what business did he have doing that?

Bottom line: if a person doesn't want you as a teammate then don't accept you on his team. If they do - to quote the Mafia - "Keepa your hands off" ROFL