• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC North Africa Graphics
04-28-2019, 05:07 PM,
PzC North Africa Graphics
As usual, I have decided to open a can of worms.

I have been diligently working on the remaining three North Africa titles, updating them to Gold standard.

Unlike the European titles, completely new terrain and other graphics were required. This has added quite a bit to the update cycle.

With Panzer Battles North Africa recently released, I decided to use those graphics as the basis for the update. With that in mind here is an example of how the graphics look in El Alamein (all images can be right clicked to see full size);
[Image: Post%2020190428_01.jpg]

The issue, I realised as I moved forward is that we have done the graphics in Panzer battles with an emphasis on a more 'natural' look, while all the Panzer Campaign Gold maps are based on a more 'cartographic' look, i.e a stylised map. Going that direction, we would have a map more like this;
[Image: Post%2020190428_02.jpg]

I'd like to get people's opinion on which they feel is the better (or more appropriate) look? I do have the option on defaulting to one (probably the cartographic), but including both so players can choose dependent on feedback.

For a further view, I had posted elsewhere some in game shots using the Panzer Battles look, I'm only including these as I had done them previously. They are shots from the two brand new campaign scenarios included in El Alamein;
[Image: Post%2020190410_01.jpg]

[Image: Post%2020190410_02.jpg]

[Image: Post%2020190410_03.jpg]

[Image: Post%2020190410_04.jpg]

And as a special teaser, here is a snippet of the Tunisia map, which is different again as it was essentially arable (but arid) land;
[Image: Post%2020190428_03.jpg]

Thanks,

David
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2019, 09:30 PM,
RE: PzC North Africa Graphics
I personally prefer a 'cartographic' look, i.e a stylised map for PanzerCampaigns.
For me this fits better for that scope.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
04-28-2019, 09:37 PM,
I 100% agree with KAreil -- the 'cartographic' look is better suited for Panzer Campaigns.
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower
04-28-2019, 09:45 PM,
cartographic look is better
04-29-2019, 12:49 AM,
That Tunisia map screams much better quality. Excellent eye candy. The different shades were the same direction board games started going with their maps. The lighter it is, the higher it is. The darker it is, the lower it is. As long as you set a standard for each area say Tobruk and Alamein for the same elevation/color, you make the games even better than the ones who are still trailing behind. Then do the same with Sicily and Italy titles, WF and then EF.
04-29-2019, 01:00 AM,
I prefer the cartographic version.

Looking forward to the Gold versions!
"Damnation seize my soul if I give your quarters, or take any from you." - Edward Teach
04-29-2019, 02:44 AM,
I prefer the cartographic version...looks better with the scale involved in Panzer Campaigns
04-29-2019, 05:58 AM,
I too, like the cartographic look the best however, I really like the idea of offering two versions so players have the option to play with their preferred look.
04-29-2019, 08:25 AM,
i too prefer the cartographic look 
cheers
04-29-2019, 10:13 AM,
David, maybe it is because I have been playing a lot of PzB North Africa but I think the natural look is far superior. I appreciate that the games are at different scales and that what is right for one may not work for the other. But I think what you have done with the natural style map is just fantastic - really a work of art. Obviously I am in a minority, based on the feedback so far, but I desperately hoping this map style is at least included as an alternative. It is just too good not to be used.

But regardless of the outcome, thanks again for all the effort you are putting into the Gold updates. It is really great to see these old games springing back to life.