• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Need Help Opening Opponent K'43 file
01-22-2019, 03:54 AM,
Off Topic  Need Help Opening Opponent K'43 file
I uploaded a shot of my opponent's saved game file.
I'm playing K'43 on the same machine I have always played it on, but I suspect that since machine upgraded to Windows 10 the security procedures have changed. 

When I unzip his file All that shows up is a great, big "E" (as in window's explorer). It says it saved the file as a .bte in the saved game folder, but when I open K'43 to load my opponent's turn it isn't there.  

Ideas?

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot (92).png (Size: 221.79 KB / Downloads: 11)
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2019, 05:37 AM,
RE: Need Help Opening Opponent K'43 file
Is he playing the updated Gold version
01-22-2019, 06:23 AM,
(01-22-2019, 05:37 AM)Landser34 Wrote: Is he playing the updated Gold version

Is there a Gold version of K'43?

Not sure if it matters as the saved game file doesn't even appear despite my saving it to the saved game folder.  Or does it
01-22-2019, 07:17 AM,
Yes all east front games have been upgraded to Gold standard as well B44 & F40.

Is this the first file of a new game or have you been passing files with no issues and this just turned up after the upgrade to W10?
01-22-2019, 07:28 AM,
I am no computer geek but the file appears to have been saved in some internet explorer format despite it saying it is a .bte file, a normal .bte file will look like this in your game folder...……

[Image: bte%20file.jpg]

But unfortunately I have no idea why yours are turning up with the IE symbol??
01-22-2019, 07:42 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:17 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Yes all east front games have been upgraded to Gold standard as well B44 & F40.

Is this the first file of a new game or have you been passing files with no issues and this just turned up after the upgrade to W10?

This is the first time I've played any Operation Campaign since the W10 upgrade.  

Would he being on Gold cause this problem?
01-22-2019, 07:43 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:17 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Yes all east front games have been upgraded to Gold standard as well B44 & F40.

Yes, it appears to be an Internet explorer file, yet when I click on properties it says .bte.
01-22-2019, 08:28 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:42 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:

This is the first time I've played any Operation Campaign since the W10 upgrade.  

Would he being on Gold cause this problem?

I don't think so because it is the file that appears to be the issue.
01-22-2019, 08:33 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:43 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:

Yes, it appears to be an Internet explorer file, yet when I click on properties it says .bte.

If I was trying to sort this out I would establish which end the problem was, is the way your opponent is sending the file or is it how it is being saved at your end.

So I would get someone else to send you a .bte file and when you save it to your game folder see how it appears (you don't need to be able to open it) if it looks like a normal file (as in my image) then the issues is at your opponents end, if it still saves an IE file the issue is at your end.  Wink
01-22-2019, 11:02 AM,
(01-22-2019, 07:43 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:

This may simply be an issue of the normal .BTE file type icon being replaced by the IE file type icon, which can be changed in Windows.

The only way to be sure is to check the file properties.  Right click on the file, select properties, take a screen shot of the file properties dialogue and post the screen shot in this thread. 

Also, if you are using the HPS version of K43 and your opponent is using the JTS Gold Version of K43, be aware that they are not compatible.
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine