• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War?
11-03-2018, 10:17 AM,
First World War?
I'm considering to buying Squad Battles: First World War.  Any suggestions in that series to purchase?
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2018, 06:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2018, 06:16 PM by Embis.)
RE: First World War?
(11-03-2018, 10:17 AM)Warcry Wrote: I'm considering to buying Squad Battles: First World War.  Any suggestions in that series to purchase?

An excellent decision sir. Big Grin

All are good you can't make a bad choice  here so I would go purely with what interests you most, but here's a bit more information that might influence your choice

You will see there are two Vietnam titles, if I was going to pick one of those over the other I would choose "Tour of Duty", though that's just a personal preference I couldn't point to any major reason why. 

There are some excellent  "whole game" Mods available. Basically, You install the base game twice, then install the mod over one of those games and "hey presto" Magic4 You have two games for the price of one. 

the whole game mods available are:
  • "World at War",  Chechnya, African wars, Gulf War etc- base game ="Pacific War"
  • "The Long War", The War on Terror, 21st Century Taliban  / US/ Coalition)- base game ="Soviet Afghan War"
  • "Red Star over Europe",  1980's Warsaw Pact / Nato  -base game ="Vietnam"
  • "Arab Israeli war" - base game "Soviet Afghan War"
  • "Africa at War" post WW2 African conflicts)  -base game ="Pacific War"

The whole game Mods are difficult to get hold of, for reasons I won't go into here, so you need to know where to look for them...and you could start by looking in my direction. Wink

The talented Ritchie '61 produced some excellent graphic mods for the whole series and those are available posted in a thread here. I would consider these mods an essential upgrade, the original graphics are very poor.

My top three personal favourites of the SB series are: Eagles Strike, Red Victory. Tour of Duty. but thats purely personal, they are all good,

Game play is fast, most games can be played through in an hour. The Eastern Front titles aren't as "static" as the Panzer Campaign Eastern Front games because of the scale, house to house fighting is represented much better at this scale.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
11-03-2018, 06:29 PM,
Just realised you suggested First World War as your first choice. 

If this really grabs your interest then yes go for it, but in my opinion, the strength of the series is demonstrated rather better by the earlier titles. Trench warfare, is not represented so well, Still a perfectly good choice if you are particularly interested in WW1 but not the best of the pack when it comes to Squad Battles,

I emphasise this is a personal preference, others will disagree with me, this isn't by any stretch a view shared by the community...just mine Smile
Napoleon I
11-03-2018, 07:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM by Warcry.)
In another series I've got PzC Kharkov42 (fluid) and PzB Battles of Kursk(static): Southern Flank.

Maybe I can choose a fluid and static title in Squad Battles.

I've chosen First World War (static) . What fluid Squad Battles would you recommend?

cheers
11-03-2018, 07:36 PM,
(11-03-2018, 07:27 PM)Warcry Wrote: What fluid Squad Battles would you recommend?

cheers

They are all quite fluid, so go with what interests you most. The fluid / static argument does not apply to this series really.

I would pick a WW2 or Vietnam title to maxmise your number of PBEM opponents. they seem to be most commonly played if you already have WW1.
Napoleon I
11-03-2018, 08:00 PM,
I've plenty of WW2 with other series.

I'll choose Vietnam. Probably Tour of Duty?
11-04-2018, 03:21 AM,
(11-03-2018, 08:00 PM)Warcry Wrote: I've plenty of  WW2  with other series.

I'll choose Vietnam. Probably Tour of Duty?

"Tour of Duty" is a good choice,  although with "Vietnam" you have the option of installing the "Red Star over Europe" 3rd world war Mod as well. You cant do that with "Tour Of Duty"...its swings and roundabouts..
Napoleon I
11-04-2018, 09:09 AM,
FWW is a fantastic title imho, if you have a interest in the first war this one is NOT to be missed.   I have TOD along with the Modern Squad Battles but find FWW to be far more immersing...... if you do end up picking this one up someday, brace yourself for staggering losses slow crawling across no-mans land as your support lays down a wall of lead trying to pin entrenched troops.... Salute6
Animo Et Fide
11-04-2018, 01:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM by Warcry.)
What is the difference between Sb First World War and FwwC  France 14 ?

I'll probably purchase Red Victory because it is the most popular with the most scenarios.
11-04-2018, 03:30 PM,
(11-04-2018, 01:58 PM)Warcry Wrote: What is the difference between Sb First World War and FwwC  France 14 ?

I'll probably purchase Red Victory because it is the most popular with the most scenarios.

SB First World War is a Tactical level game using Squads/Individual Leaders, 40 meter hexes and 5 minute turns.

FWWC France '14 is an Operational level game using Battalion/Company sized units, 1 km hexes and 2 hour turns.