• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bridge Questions
10-21-2018, 06:33 AM,
Bridge Questions
Hello:
1) Trying Smolensk Operational Situation 1 which is a river crossing one with no bridges. I have Pioneers with Mine/Bridge capability. But the manual says they have to be "Bridge Eng" to be able to build a bridge?

2) Is it true that a damaged bridge cannot be repaired?

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
10-21-2018, 09:42 AM,
RE: Bridge Questions
Damaged bridges can not be repaired to the best of my knowledge. If the unit says "bridge" somewhere, it can probably build a bridge. Just roll up adjacent to a river and go to the engineer dialogue. It won't let you do the action if the unit doesn't have the capability.
10-21-2018, 12:08 PM,
(10-21-2018, 09:42 AM)Fortynslow Wrote: Damaged bridges can not be repaired to the best of my knowledge.  If the unit says "bridge" somewhere, it can probably build a bridge.  Just roll up adjacent to a river and go to the engineer dialogue.  It won't let you do the action if the unit doesn't have the capability.

Can you build a new bridge on the same hex as a previously destroyed bridge?
10-21-2018, 12:32 PM,
[attachment=4659 Wrote: Fortynslow pid='427520' dateline='1540078928']Damaged bridges can not be repaired to the best of my knowledge.  If the unit says "bridge" somewhere, it can probably build a bridge.  Just roll up adjacent to a river and go to the engineer dialogue.  It won't let you do the action if the unit doesn't have the capability.

Wondering what I have done here. Engineers says "Has Bridge" and I have crossed in Travel mode.

Why two symbols for the bridge - one looks like a brown path; other is a gray superimposed counter that looks like a bridge symbol?

Also, how do I get the Engineers to not say "Has Bridge" so I can get them to do something else?

Thanks again.

Attached Files
.jpg   Bridge.JPG (Size: 32.23 KB / Downloads: 17)
10-21-2018, 02:31 PM,
Yes, Engineers, once they finish building the bridge, may cross over the bridge to the other side but they remain "tied" to the bridge until they do the bridge Ops again and remove the bridge.

I just did that in my game of Kharkov '43.
10-21-2018, 02:49 PM,
(10-21-2018, 02:31 PM)Sgt_Rock Wrote: Yes, Engineers, once they finish building the bridge, may cross over the bridge to the other side but they remain "tied" to the bridge until they do the bridge Ops again and remove the bridge.

I just did that in my game of Kharkov '43.

As I had everyone across I tried Bridge Ops again and it did free up the engineers. But I notice it also got rid of the bridge. So it seems if you want to keep the bridge for more turns you have to leave the engineers there. In either hex that makes up the bridge?
Thanks.
10-21-2018, 03:24 PM,
Check the Engineer menu for Abandon Bridge but be aware:
"Selecting Abandon Bridge to cause the selected Engineer units to abandon a
bridge built across an adjacent River hexside. The Engineer units will be
unable to build another bridge for the duration of the scenario."
10-21-2018, 03:31 PM,
(10-21-2018, 03:24 PM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Check the Engineer menu for Abandon Bridge but be aware:
"Selecting Abandon Bridge to cause the selected Engineer units to abandon a
bridge built across an adjacent River hexside.  The Engineer units will be
unable to build another bridge for the duration of the scenario."

Thanks. Instead of Abandon Bridge it looks like using the Bridge Ops toggle allows the engineers to go on and build another bridge later on.
10-21-2018, 04:40 PM,
Indeed, depends on what you need.
Do you need to keep the bridge through the scenario, then consider abandoning it so to put the engineer unit to good use elsewhere.
Do you need the bridge only temporarily, then use bridge ops again to keep the bridge building capacity of the unit.
10-22-2018, 02:08 AM,
(10-21-2018, 12:08 PM)tbridges Wrote: Can you build a new bridge on the same hex as a previously destroyed bridge?

Can anyone answer the above question?