• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Where to begin?
09-04-2018, 11:03 AM,
Where to begin?
Gents,

I would like to get into CM....but haven't played it since the first version of the first game came out, about 20 years ago?  Which should I purchase, to begin learning the system?  Am still playing and enjoying TOAW and War in the Pacific- Admiral's Edition, but would like to try something more tactical.  Any help appreciated!
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2018, 11:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2018, 11:32 PM by geoff.)
RE: Where to begin?
Simply put CMBB is the best wargame ever published. CMAK's OOB is a real let down but, it's comparable. CMBO comes in third.
09-05-2018, 01:46 AM,
Thx!
09-07-2018, 03:30 AM,
(09-04-2018, 11:30 PM)geoff Wrote: Simply put CMBB is the best wargame ever published. CMAK's OOB is a real let down but, it's comparable. CMBO comes in third.

I wouldn't say that. More like CMAK is to the Western theater as CMBB is to the Eastern. Both are enjoyable and fun with many improvements over CMBO. Desert warfare and more rugged, Italian terrain are well done in CMAK.
09-07-2018, 04:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 04:05 AM by geoff.)
CMBB OOBs allow greater customization of forces for PBEM games. Particularly the CMAK USA OOB is crap that was rushed through and left in it's raw state despite patches. CMAK does have dust rules which are great and the terrain is more varied than Russia. It should have had alot more enhancements in comparison to the major quality upgrade CMBO-CMBB. AI scripting, larger maps, statistical moddability etc. The original engine was never taken to the breaking limits for future computers and just discontinued... Which is what makes CMAK a bad game.
09-07-2018, 04:50 AM,
CMAK is not a bad game. But only the Italian theater of war is recommended.1943-45.
The Africa scenario is very boring, because tactically only what can be achieved with tanks and artillery.
Infantry is destroyed very quickly and does not matter.
09-07-2018, 06:05 AM,
All the above is very  helpful and most appreciated.  I've ordered CMBB to get started, but expect to eventually get CMAK....