• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Latest Windows 10 update
08-25-2018, 05:01 AM,
Latest Windows 10 update
Used Windows 10 since it was offered as a free upgrade, comes with free anti-virus ( Windows Defender ), running real smooth, quicker start up and shut down with no problems encountered until the last update !!!.
Every task on my PC just went to slow mode, games took double or more time to play a turn.

So tried one or two simple fixes first, before deciding to removing the last Windows 10 update.
Everything now working again as normal.
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2018, 05:47 PM,
RE: Latest Windows 10 update
I have always felt that updating the OS of a PC never seems to go smoothly how ever much MS might tell you it will, I have a laptop that came with Win10 as its default OS I have the latest update and it had no effect on my games.

The really annoying thing was I believe MS were updating automatically without getting permission first.
08-26-2018, 10:18 PM,
(08-26-2018, 05:47 PM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: I have always felt that updating the OS of a PC never seems to go smoothly how ever much MS might tell you it will, I have a laptop that came with Win10 as its default OS I have the latest update and it had no effect on my games.

The really annoying thing was I believe MS were updating automatically without getting permission first.

Correct, the last update has effected the performance of the make and model of my PC, I have seen this before but to a lesser degree which did not impact significantly on the performance, then on the next update it seemed to be fixed.
08-28-2018, 04:44 AM,
(08-25-2018, 05:01 AM)Lowlander Wrote: Used Windows 10 since it was offered as a free upgrade, comes with free anti-virus ( Windows Defender ), running real smooth, quicker start up and shut down with no problems encountered until the last update !!!.
Every task on my PC just went to slow mode, games took double or more time to play a turn.

So tried one or two simple fixes first, before deciding to removing the last Windows 10 update.

One of the last Windows update was to fix one of the security flaws inherent in Intel chips. The one from this week, for instance, cause intermittent blue screens of death (BSOD) on my PC. After three more updates in the same week, it is now fixed. They say the new patch might make some PCs slightly slower, but I've seen no difference in mine.

It's important to run updates and use the latest operating system, but also always a good idea to make sure you have several restore points saved to go back to if problems arise.

I'd try the Windows update again, if I were you. You can always keep going back until the problems resolve. 

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
08-28-2018, 04:25 PM,
(08-28-2018, 04:44 AM)Scud Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 05:01 AM)Lowlander Wrote: Used Windows 10 since it was offered as a free upgrade, comes with free anti-virus ( Windows Defender ), running real smooth, quicker start up and shut down with no problems encountered until the last update !!!.

One of the last Windows update was to fix one of the security flaws inherent in Intel chips. The one from this week, for instance, cause intermittent blue screens of death (BSOD) on my PC. After three more updates in the same week, it is now fixed. They say the new patch might make some PCs slightly slower, but I've seen no difference in mine.

It's important to run updates and use the latest operating system, but also always a good idea to make sure you have several restore points saved to go back to if problems arise.

I'd try the Windows update again, if I were you. You can always keep going back until the problems resolve. 

Dave
I concur +1.
09-20-2018, 06:06 AM,
Three updates before the same problem returned late last night, however I have found the problem to be caused by the Intel " Spectre " fix which is not required by my operating system, Microsoft windows 10 update KB4100347.

It only takes a couple of minutes to uninstall and we have lift off.
09-23-2018, 07:12 PM,
Glad you found a solution  Smile
01-30-2019, 10:50 AM,
Hello Lowlander. Thank you a lot for this fix, my PC has been lagging on a lot of programs along with JTS games and this was indeed the issue. However, my PC keeps re-installing the update every 3-4 days. Do you have any idea as to how to prevent that?
01-31-2019, 06:46 AM,
(01-30-2019, 10:50 AM)All_American Wrote: Hello Lowlander. Thank you a lot for this fix, my PC has been lagging on a lot of programs along with JTS games and this was indeed the issue. However, my PC keeps re-installing the update every 3-4 days. Do you have any idea as to how to prevent that?

Sorry I don't, the patch appears about once a month on my PC.

Another problem which resulted in the same game lag, was updating my windows 10 version 803 to 809, this was a waste of time, two hours download plus one hour install.
I used the settings/recovery to go back to the 803 version.
01-31-2019, 07:45 AM,
Check this article out: https://www.itechtics.com/hide-update-in...indows-10/

It has instructions for hiding an update. So uninstall it then follow those instructions to keep it from coming back. And if you are suspicious of the show hide update utility - I was too - so I searched for it independently and found this link on MS support page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help...er-updates

Hope that helps.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)