• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opportunity Fire - will not work
08-20-2018, 10:00 AM,
Help  Opportunity Fire - will not work
Hello - Like the Game - BUT

I'm familiar with JTCS Opportunity Fire Settings.
It seems to be the same setup here in Panzer Battles.
Yet -- my settings do not work as intended.
Opportunity happens regardless - and at every range.
I can't shut it off , or mod the ranges, etc.
just never has - yet.

I have Windows 10 Home.
The game works just fine - except for the OPfire settings.
Any help here - would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks ,
Tom S.
5 Leichte Div
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2018, 02:10 PM,
RE: Opportunity Fire - will not work
(08-20-2018, 10:00 AM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Hello - Like the Game - BUT

just never has - yet.

I have Windows 10 Home.

Thanks ,
Tom S.
5 Leichte Div

Ditto. Have noticed same issue. D-fire set to never for any target, wanted unit to stay quiet and hidden.  As soon as opposing unit came adjacent he just blazed away.  Checked the settings in my turn and the units op-fire was set correctly to never vs. all categories of targets
08-20-2018, 08:00 PM,
(08-20-2018, 02:10 PM)XLVIII Pz. Korp Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 10:00 AM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Hello - Like the Game - BUT

just never has - yet.

I have Windows 10 Home.

Thanks ,
Tom S.
5 Leichte Div

Ditto. Have noticed same issue. D-fire set to never for any target, wanted unit to stay quiet and hidden.  As soon as opposing unit came adjacent he just blazed away.  Checked the settings in my turn and the units op-fire was set correctly to never vs. all categories of targets

Well - that makes at least 2 of us with this issue.
We both have the Demo ( superb ) and Kursk.
XLVIII Pz. Korp has W7 Pro & I use the W10 Home OS.
Same issue malfunction with both versions.
Vital for the use of the concealment tactics.

Any concerns with this for others ?

Thanks,
5 Leichte Div
08-20-2018, 09:08 PM,
Both, is there a particular scenario you are testing this in so I can have a look?

Thanks,

David
08-21-2018, 01:24 AM,
Also, please read this thread;

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=70960

There are a number of deeper considerations for opportunity fire. I have not played the Campaign Series for a long time and though the interface is the same there maybe some material differences in execution.

ComradeP does a good job explaining some of the key considerations for opportunity fire. The first is that if you are spotted, no matter what you put the op fire to, it will over ride it. Keep in mind this setting is essentially for the defensive fire phase of the other players turn and is telling the AI whether to reveal a hidden unit and fire. If you're not hidden than you will potentially fire.

The other wrinkle is that the second player cannot adjust his op fire values until his turn and some units may have potentially fired during the first players turn (revealing themselves), leaving the second player with no control to adjust. The only way to fix this is to get out of LOS and the op fore values will then take effect. The problem here is, what is out of LOS? The enemy may have a hidden unit that can see you so you never know. The code does know this and will flag you as spotted but you won't use it.

Getting op fire during a scenario is a lot harder than you think.

Read the thread and then see whether some of the conditions mentioned apply to the situation you're seeing. (there are more threads - search 'opportunity fire' in this forum).

David

David
08-21-2018, 03:13 AM,
Ahhh...  Thanks for the suggested read David.  I think this section pretty much answers the question:

"One important thing to keep in mind is that units will only stick to the opportunity fire settings when they think they haven't been spotted. Opportunity fire settings won't have any effect in non-cover terrain (note that terrain that functions as cover for infantry and guns won't necessarily cover vehicles, vehicles need at least a terrain height of 2 meters which can be checked per terrain type in the parameter data dialog)."

5th Leichte Div and I both a couple of JTCS grogs from its first appearance in the 90's.  Been playing Panzer Battles for about 5 months now but I see we both still have much to "unlearn".
08-21-2018, 03:57 AM,
(08-21-2018, 01:24 AM)Strela Wrote: There are a number of deeper considerations for opportunity fire. I have not played the Campaign Series for a long time and though the interface is the same there maybe some material differences in execution.

I can attest to the fact that -- despite some lingering, superficial similarities -- the underlying code between the two series is, by now, largely different.  On the CS side, the code has forked away (in some aspects far away) from the legacy common JTCS codebase.  On the PzB side, JT has greatly reworked the code; much of it is entirely redone.  Working on both series as I do, I assume close similarity at my peril (thereby risking creating bugs).  No, by now, CS and PzB are quite different beasts.  One needs to be careful about inferring anything from one series to the other.
08-21-2018, 06:37 AM,
(08-21-2018, 03:57 AM)berto Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 01:24 AM)Strela Wrote: There are a number of deeper considerations for opportunity fire. I have not played the Campaign Series for a long time and though the interface is the same there maybe some material differences in execution.

I can attest to the fact that -- despite some lingering, superficial similarities -- the underlying code between the two series is, by now, largely different.  On the CS side, the code has forked away (in some aspects far away) from the legacy common JTCS codebase.  On the PzB side, JT has greatly reworked the code; much of it is entirely redone.  Working on both series as I do, I assume close similarity at my peril (thereby risking creating bugs).  No, by now, CS and PzB are quite different beasts.  One needs to be careful about inferring anything from one series to the other.

I have definitely seen that.  I so wish Panzer Battle's very elegant air interdiction could be ported to JTCS.  There's nothing quite like having your columns get shot up by air as they move in your own rear areas.  Would really give a CS player a reason to keep AA units around important assets.
08-21-2018, 08:36 AM,
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Opportunity Fire - will not work
(08-21-2018, 06:37 AM)XLVIII Pz. Korp Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 03:57 AM)berto Wrote:

I can attest to the fact that -- despite some lingering, superficial similarities -- the underlying code between the two series is, by now, largely different.  On the CS side, the code has forked away (in some aspects far away) from the legacy common JTCS codebase.  On the PzB side, JT
has greatly reworked the code; much of it is entirely redone.  Working on both series as I do, I assume close similarity at my peril (thereby risking creating bugs).  No, by now, CS and PzB are quite different beasts.  One needs to be careful about inferring anything from one series to the other.

I have definitely seen that.  I so wish Panzer Battle's very elegant air interdiction could be ported to JTCS.  There's nothing quite like having your columns get shot up by air as they move in your own rear areas.  Would really give a CS player a reason to keep AA units around important assets.

Gentlemen - All !
I see all the postings here regarding my inquiry about Opportunity Fire settings.
Wow !!
I didn't realize how much subtlety was built into the Panzer Battles code - and that it is now very distinctly different from the  "simpler"  CS code.
I should have known ….  but for PzB  … it's COOL !!
I  " Thank You "  all for the unexpectedly diverse information.
That is All .   Carry on … !!

Much obliged ..
Tom S.
5 Leichte Div
08-21-2018, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM by Strela.)
Gents,

Very happy we have enlightened you.

You’re fortunate to have Berto replying here. As he mentioned, he is the lead programmer on Matrix’s JTCS new titles and reincarnation of the old. He is also single handedly responsible for the large improvements in Panzer Battles Kursk and Normandy. The upcoming North Africa will add even more play value with items such as the by turn, variable victory points. The design team has been having a blast creating scenarios with some of the new features Berto has provided.

Please do go to our http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/ site and read some of the blog entries to understand the things we’re including.

Thanks again for the questions, Glad we were able to assist...

David