• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
08-06-2020, 04:14 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
Just a little 5 day update

Most German ID have been updated. The 352, 709 and 716 ID have been placed on the map, having restructured them to have the standard oob(removing the numerous machinegun truppen units). The purpose was to test the integrity of the Atlantic Wall Defenses utilizing the updated structure, along with the restructuring of Wn, AA and AT units. I was able to achieve 98% integrity, requiring only slight adjustments in a couple hexes(these were on gold/juno beach). This is in comparison to stock scenarios and the placements found within.

Some of the WN at Utah Beach and further north have been shifted to align better with google earth imagery.

With that behind me, as I push forward with the OOB work, I'm thinking on how I want to handle supply. Whether to have numerous small supply sources, or supply units. The goal is to make artillery a little less available from turn to turn(if possible). Any thoughts on this from the community would be appreciated.

Captured equipment will contain the German designation.

I confess, I forgot each turn was 30 minutes. I contemplated increasing day turns to one hour, but I feel that would adversely impact the feel of gameplay. Night turns are important for German movement so limiting it must be handled with caution. I'm leaning towards having 4 or 6 night turns.
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2020, 08:36 AM,
Day 8 Update

The work is extensive, and time is beginning to blur a little as the days roll by. All initial German placements are complete. Now the tedious task of setting up the reinforcement schedules. This I call phase 2, with phase 1 being the initial on map placements. Phase 3 will be the replenishment units. Then this will be duplicated for the Allied side.

I'm attempting to push forward reinforcement locations to minimize the time spent ushering units from the rear to the front. The effects of allied air superiority will be applied, but many units should arrive nearer to the front rather then enter way off by the map edge. I'm using the schedules found in PzC Normandy in concert with my own research to be as accurate as possible.

I've settled on 4 night turns, as a 5th was not possible, lacking another 60 minutes.

I will attempt to use supply vehicles as I think its the best way to manipulate the supply situation as needed. It would seem these aren't used in any scenarios, by evidence that the equipment in the data file exceed the current stock pdt limitations(preventing their placement on the map). Creating my own supply equipment caused an error and crashed the scenario, so I was forced to adjust the current supply equipment in the data file(reduced them from 20 to 10 vehicles). These are the only stock equipment adjusted and should not interfere with the other stock scenarios.

I've been toying with a comical introduction, something like "You didn't ask for it, you may not want it, but you got it. This monstrosity is here to strip away the soul of those fool-hearty enough to tackle it." Kidding aside, at the very least should make for a great team game.

With the goal of July 7th as the cut out off point (point where caen was considered taken) with each day having 36 turns, minus the time adjusted on june 6th, that gives the scenario roughly 1,112 turns. That is not a typo.

The RAD units around cherbourg will not be deployed, instead their manpower will be the abstract justification for the cherbourg landfort Wn units. Their manpower was historically distributed into combat units and by extension used to man the landfort defenses.

If any artists wish to contribute, there are about a dozen unit types that would benefit from some updated artwork. Otherwise, stock images will continue to suffice.

This update has been sponsored by "crazy", cause one has to be crazy to do this.
08-10-2020, 10:49 PM,
Stock images are fine. If somebody wants to do them and offer them as an option, that's fine.

My question is, will this be one scenario or will it also be offered up as five separate scenarios, a British beaches and an overall campaign?
08-11-2020, 10:30 AM,
@Josey Wales, It will be one scenario, using the big master map of Normandy. It can be a base to create sub-scenarios if desired.

To all, I'm looking for information on the 77.infanterie-division. Primarily, any date/time/locations covering their transit from brittany to the Normandy region. Precision isn't necessary as even vague references can be insightful. Thanks in advance.

I'll include a little update
Phase 2 continues to proceed. The rest of the 711th, the 346th, Panzer Lehr, and 12th SS divisions have been added to the reinforcement schedule. Currently the 77 ID is in the process, with the 17th SS, 275 and 265 ID in queue.
08-12-2020, 04:56 AM,
(08-11-2020, 10:30 AM)Ocito80 Wrote: @Josey Wales, It will be one scenario, using the big master map of Normandy. It can be a base to create sub-scenarios if desired.

To all, I'm looking for information on the 77.infanterie-division. Primarily, any date/time/locations covering their transit from brittany to the Normandy region. Precision isn't necessary as even vague references can be insightful. Thanks in advance.

I'll include a little update
Phase 2 continues to proceed. The rest of the 711th, the 346th, Panzer Lehr, and 12th SS divisions have been added to the reinforcement schedule. Currently the 77 ID is in the process, with the 17th SS, 275 and 265 ID in queue.

On D-Day the 77th division was located near St Malo, the following day it was decided to send it to Normandy after it was relieved by the 5th Fallschirmjager division, motorized parts of the division had reached a position East of Granville by 8th June and 2 days later elements of the division had reached Valognes being commited to both sides of the Merderet.
Most of the division was in the area North of Coutances.
08-12-2020, 06:11 AM,
Thanks for that bit of info. I think coutances will make a good arrival area for much of the division, now the work to "guestimate" the time their various units arrived.
08-13-2020, 08:50 AM,
An update on progress

Axis phase 2(the reinforcement schedule) is 94% complete - basically finished with units arrive into late june. Mostly the 9th/10th SS divisions and some small units remain to be placed.

I decided to delay phase 3 (replacement units), instead will switch over to the allies and start their Phase 2. As their OOB doesn't require much tinkering, their placement should be relatively smooth and streamlined. The goal is to get a weeks worth in play, then do some testing. When I'm comfortable, I will increase the reinforcement schedule by another week followed by some more testing. Once i reach the third week, I will look into starting phase 3.
08-14-2020, 10:00 AM,
I've found placing the American airborne units more arduous than anticipated. But it's nearing completion. Deciding to start the scenario at 0630 requires a slight adjustment to their starting locations, and status. This has afforded an incentive to deep dive into their small action histories.

The 508th is the lone remaining trouble spot. Their DZ is known, but with accounts of local german counter attacks at La Fiere and Chef-Du-Pont bridge. Exacting their locations from various information is no easy task. The 2nd Battalion isn't too bad, but the 1st and 3rd are now the focal point.

Does anyone know if the guns at St Mere eglise were captured/destroyed from the 4am assault, or withdrawn south/east with most of the other german units in the area.
08-16-2020, 11:41 AM,
Not sure what I did, but one click somewhere corrupted the oob file which corrupted the scenario file and thus all work on the OOB and scenario is lost. I will need to reassess my process as I consider my options moving forward.
08-16-2020, 07:44 PM,
(08-16-2020, 11:41 AM)Ocito80 Wrote: Not sure what I did, but one click somewhere corrupted the oob file which corrupted the scenario file and thus all work on the OOB and scenario is lost. I will need to reassess my process as I consider my options moving forward.

Never save if you see corruption. Do you have backups?