• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

John Tiller ACW and Napoleonic campaigns AI
07-01-2018, 10:16 PM,
John Tiller ACW and Napoleonic campaigns AI
Hello All,

I've recently returned to playing the John Tiller games against the AI, but am getting concerned about the quality of the AI... 

I've played two battles so far, firstly the first Atlanta campaign battle, Rocky Face Ridge.  As Union using my two 25 man cavalry detatchments I was able to capture 4 rebel supply trains and a high value objective to the rear of the main battle, wich effectively rendered the remainder of the main battle irrelevant.

Secondly, I played the first battle of the Waterloo campaign, the delaying action near Charleroi as the Prussian.  With my uhlans I was again easily able to outflank the enemy and cause chaos, which culminated in capturing Napoleon and Grouchy.  Campaign over as far as I'm concerned (I've always disagreed with Wellingtons BS about commanders having better things to do than fire at each other)....

Whilst I don't think there are any games better at teaching the player about the salient facts on a battle I'm beginning to think the only way I can fight the AI is to tie one hand behind the back and restrain myself from carrying out any sort of significant flanking attack because the AI appears to have no defense against it.

I realise The Blitz is more focussed on pvp, but just wondered what the community thinks about the AI in these games.   Am I being unfairly harsh?

Cheers

Jon
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2018, 02:30 AM,
RE: John Tiller ACW and Napoleonic campaigns AI
If you use ahistorical tactics you can only expect ahistorical results. You are gaming the AI. I'm not sure what you expect from the AI Big Grin
07-02-2018, 03:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2018, 03:13 AM by Majick.)
Errr....well.... I'd expect the AI to protect it's flanks, usually with cavalry. That seems pretty historical to me if I'm honest, as does using your cavalry to carry out flanking and raiding actions.
07-02-2018, 07:01 AM,
you should be playing pbem. There are opponents all over the world.
07-02-2018, 08:03 AM,
Like with all strategy games the AI is just there to learn the game, sooner or later one knows how it works and can beat the AI constantly what makes playing against it futile.
That's when cubs for pvp come into play, no AI can beat the wide range of experience & personality that a human opponent provides and that can make is playing style so different from what the AI can show.
You should just find some opponents here and forget about the AI.
07-05-2018, 09:52 AM,
The AI is especially bad in the black powder games.....
07-06-2018, 06:20 AM,
(07-05-2018, 09:52 AM)jim pfleck Wrote: The AI is especially bad in the black powder games.....

Yes Smile 

I'm still trying to play the Waterloo Campaign and at Quatre Bras/Ligny as allies, Ney has decided to wait until 5 pm before mounting any sort of infantry attack, and then of course they all went into square as expected when threatened by cavalry.  (That's a historical tactic too Fastphil ;-) )

I may switch my attention to WITE for a bit as that has a middling good AI.  Or try Waterloo again as the French, in the hope the AI will be better in defence.

Although I'd love to do pvp I find the email cycle slow and disjointed.  And what with ladders and mirror games it all seems to be taken a bit more seriosly than I'm comfortable with.
07-06-2018, 07:07 AM,
The ai is better on defense. One thing that may help is to be very specific in your ask for a pbem game--state how many turns a week you want, style of play, etc, and you may find a match.
07-06-2018, 07:16 AM,
(07-06-2018, 07:07 AM)jim pfleck Wrote: The ai is better on defense. One thing that may help is to be very specific in your ask for a pbem game--state how many turns a week you want, style of play, etc, and you may find a match.

I agree with Jim........choose z pbem partner who you feel are equal matches and play on. 
You are making a huge mistake not taking advantage of so many players who are just like you. They are looking for opponents too.
07-06-2018, 09:00 AM,
Smile  RE: John Tiller ACW and Napoleonic campaigns AI
(07-06-2018, 07:16 AM)dukemat Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 07:07 AM)jim pfleck Wrote: The ai is better on defense. One thing that may help is to be very specific in your ask for a pbem game--state how many turns a week you want, style of play, etc, and you may find a match.

I agree with Jim........choose z pbem partner who you feel are equal matches and play on. 
You are making a huge mistake not taking advantage of so many players who are just like you. They are looking for opponents too.

Thanks guys.  I'm going to be away for a few days soon, but I'll have a think about giving pvp another try and maybe try for an opponent here Smile