• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sloppy Play
06-16-2018, 04:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2018, 04:27 AM by zap.)
Sloppy Play
Since playing I have had a glaring lack in my game play. Its the command aspect. I want to get through a turn and don't take the time every time to keep my commanders with their units. soon after beginning my troops and commanders end up separated.  This is particularly so with larger scenarios.
I need discipline to get to a better level of  play. So to help me take this aspect more seriously I could use some reasons to convince my lazy side to invest the time. Like what are some of the effects/consequences of not keeping my units under their commander.
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2018, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2018, 01:31 AM by Scud.)
RE: Sloppy Play
(06-16-2018, 04:26 AM)zap Wrote: Since playing I have had a glaring lack in my game play. Its the command aspect. I want to get through a turn and don't take the time every time to keep my commanders with their units. soon after beginning my troops and commanders end up separated.  This is particularly so with larger scenarios.
I need discipline to get to a better level of  play. So to help me take this aspect more seriously I could use some reasons to convince my lazy side to invest the time. Like what are some of the effects/consequences of not keeping my units under their commander.

Hey Zap!

HQs will receive a supply range benefit if their commanders are kept in the same hex. To demonstrate, put a commander one hex behind a battalion HQ. Highlight the HQ and hit CTRL-W [CORRECTION, just the W key, not CTRL] to see the supply range of the HQ. Now move the commander into the hex with the HQ and do it again. You'll see the supply range increase. Highlighting the units in that HQs organization (the little org chart icon at the bottom) will let you see all the units controlled by that HQ in range of supply (out of range, they will run low on ammo and effective fire is halved). Probably more ways to do it, but...old habits...that's how I do it.

Also, disrupted units get a morale boost if a commander in the same org is in their hex, so it's always good to have them close when needed. I like to keep commanders back, unless I need the morale boost. Units with a commander get assault and firing benefits too.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-19-2018, 12:04 PM,
RE: Sloppy Play
For me - my sloppy play has always been with my engineers for some damn reason! When deployed well they can either be a force or menace to you!