• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can't load saved campaign
06-15-2018, 12:44 PM,
Help  Can't load saved campaign
Decided to try a Normandy Campaign the other night.  Played for a while, and saved.  Went to continue the campaign today and receive this message.

[Image: Campaign.PNG]

Scratched my head a bit, tried a few more times, nothing.  Checked my "Saves" directory.

[Image: Campaign2.PNG]

Yep, it's there. More head scratching....   Uninstall and reinstall of game. Same result.  Tried a different Campaign; American instead of Brit.  Again same result.

Decided to get creative. Saved my Campaign Game file as a .btl rather than the campaign save which I'm guessing should create a .btc file. Doing that I was able to open the current saved scenario of the campaign as a regular saved game but I figure by doing that I pretty much trashed the Campaign part of this.

So it seems I can start a campaign but if I save it the .btc save won't load.

What's going on here?  Am I missing something?  Has anyone played a Normandy Campaign and did your saves work?

Any help appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2018, 01:51 PM,
RE: Can't load saved campaign
Hmm, I thought we tested campaigns back in the day, when the file structure was tweaked.

I just tried and had no issues. I don't think you are trying to continue the campaign correctly? When I do, I ONLY see the .cpf file, not the .btc. So when I save, I simply click on save. The I choose Continue Campaign when I go back in and choose the .cpf and it opened okay. I didn't try anything around saving other ways. Are you trying to resume from the normal game engine rather than the Campaign exe/link?
[Image: exercise.png]
06-15-2018, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2018, 04:00 PM by XLVIII Pz. Korp.)
(06-15-2018, 01:51 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Hmm, I thought we tested campaigns back in the day, when the file structure was tweaked.

I just tried and had no issues. I don't think you are trying to continue the campaign correctly? When I do, I ONLY see the .cpf file, not the .btc. So when I save, I simply click on save. The I choose Continue Campaign when I go back in and choose the .cpf and it opened okay. I didn't try anything around saving other ways. Are you trying to resume from the normal game engine rather than the Campaign exe/link?

That is exactly the way I saved last night. When I quit last night I "saved", nothing fancy, just save.  Tonight I selected "Continue Old Campaign", and saw this:

[Image: Campaign3.PNG]

I selected campaign.cpf, and rec'd the error I showed in my first post.  It was only after that, that I started looking around in directory to find the .btc file that is refernced in the error.  And as you saw in my second image the .btc is there.

One thing possibly of concern is the path in the error statement:

Saves\C:\John Tiller Software\Battles of Normandy\Saves\

What's with the first "Saves"?  Shouldn't that path read C:\John Tiller etc.... ?

Win 7 Professional - 64 bit
06-16-2018, 03:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2018, 07:29 AM by Compass Rose.)
I decided to check it out as I too, am running Win 7 Professional - 64 bit and I am seeing the same exact issue/error message when trying to continue a previously saved campaign game.

I tested out the 2nd Div one.

[Image: PzB%20Campaign%20Error.jpg]
06-16-2018, 09:29 AM,
Thanks for the confirmation Compass Rose.  Thumbs Up Happy I didn't miss something with all my attempts at figuring this out.
06-17-2018, 02:14 PM,
What version are you guys running? I will compare to what I have - not sure where I am at with upgrades. But mine, under Win10 anyway, works fine. I don't think the operating system would cause this although it could. But want to verify game versions too.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-17-2018, 03:53 PM,
(06-17-2018, 02:14 PM)Ricky B Wrote: What version are you guys running? I will compare to what I have - not sure where I am at with upgrades. But mine, under Win10 anyway, works fine. I don't think the operating system would cause this although it could. But want to verify game versions too.

Rick

Version 1.02
06-18-2018, 03:01 AM,
(06-17-2018, 03:53 PM)XLVIII Pz. Korp Wrote: Version 1.02

Ditto
06-26-2018, 10:49 AM,
I tried this under both Win10 and Win7.  No problem, everything WAD.

Try this experiment:
  • Empty the Normandy Logs folder.
  • Start a campaign.
  • Save the campaign.
  • Before doing anything else, immediately zip up the contents of the Logs folder.
  • Exit the campaign EXE.
  • Restart the campaign EXE.
  • Attempt to load the saved campaign.
  • If and when it fails, immediately, before doing anything else, zip up the contents of the Logs folder, giving this second .zip file a different name.
  • Attach the two .zip files in a reply post here.

Maybe that will give us some better clues why this is not WAD for you.
06-26-2018, 12:12 PM,
(06-26-2018, 10:49 AM)berto Wrote: I tried this under both Win10 and Win7.  No problem, everything WAD.

Try this experiment:
  • Empty the Normandy Logs folder.
  • Start a campaign.
  • Save the campaign.
  • Before doing anything else, immediately zip up the contents of the Logs folder.
  • Exit the campaign EXE.
  • Restart the campaign EXE.
  • Attempt to load the saved campaign.
  • If and when it fails, immediately, before doing anything else, zip up the contents of the Logs folder, giving this second .zip file a different name.
  • Attach the two .zip files in a reply post here.

Maybe that will give us some better clues why this is not WAD for you.

Email sent.