• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk '41 Camapign Game AAR
04-19-2018, 03:13 PM,
Smolensk '41 Camapign Game AAR
I recently started a campaign game of the Drive on Smolensk in the new Gold version, and wanted to let you follow my journey as the Huns, sweeping the peasants aside on our way to Moscow! 

My worthy opponent is Baelfiin, and we are already in day 4, turn 37. The AAR will be a twice daily format, with dawn and dusk updates. I will start with my overall strategy in this post and then start working on daily updates. 

Baelfiin and I play at a pretty fast clip, but I obviously will keep a 1-2 day (In game turns) delay in posting so that my honorable opponent is kept in the dark as to my operational intentions if need be!

Here is the Smolensk planning map with my strategic plan laid out:

.jpg   Opening Battle Plan.jpg (Size: 197.5 KB / Downloads: 63)

XXXIX Panzer Corps

20th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance north of the Dvina River, destroying the 168th RD and approach Vitebsk from the northwest, hopefully trapping the 128th RD from crossing the Luchesa river and blocking the 214th RD from moving south of Gorodok if they do so. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move east to along the line Yanovich-Dedenki-Novoselt'sy-Yashina-Donets to arrive north of Smolensk as the northern pincer to take the city.  

18th Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance south of the Dvina River, being the northern pincer that pockets the 7th Mech Corps before it can withdraw across the Luchesa River. Once that's done, cross the Luchesa and secure Vitebsk, destroying the 153rd RD. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move southeast along the line Gornevo-Liozno-Rudnya-Kovali-to arrive west of Smolensk as the center vise to take the city.  

7th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance northeast to the Dvina River, being the southern pincer that pockets the 7th Mech Corps before it can withdraw across the Luchesa River. Once that's done, cross the Luchesa, destroying the 223rd RD. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

20th Motorized -Initial objectives-Will advance south of Vitebsk and cross the Luchesa River. Once across hold the south flank and hold/destroy the 229th RD, securing the right flank of 7th & 12th Panzers drive northeast. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

12th Panzer-Initial objectives- Will advance south of Vitebsk and cross the Luchesa River. Once across, take the vanguard with 7th panzer and 20th motorized. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

XXXXVII Panzer Corps

17th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east towards Stayki and fix the 5th Mech Corps to the Dvina River. Once 5th Mech Corps is destroyed, move southeast and cross the Dnepr north of Orsha and drive easterly along the line Dubrovno-Lyady-Krasnyy. Secondary objectives-From Krasnyy, move northeast to position as the southern pincer of a Smolensk encirclement.

18th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance northeast and assist in the destruction of 5th Mech Corps, then pivot  southeast and cross the Dnepr north of Orsha and drive easterly along the line Dubrovno-Lyady-Krasnyy. Elements of the division will move to pocket and destroy the remnants of the 64th & 108th RDs behind the German lines. Secondary objectives-From Krasnyy, move northeast to position as the southern pincer of a Smolensk encirclement.  

29th Motorized -Initial objectives- Will advance northeast and fix the 73rd RD & 109th MD northeast of Orsha, slowly pushing west towards Makarova. Secondary objectives-Advance due east north of the Dnepr River.  

XXXXVI Panzer Corps

10th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr south of Shklov. Elements of the division will move to pocket and destroy the remnants of the 100th & 161th RDs behind the German lines. Secondary objectives-Move east towards Gorki, being able to pivot north or south depending on need. The Dnepr crossing should force the abandonment of the Dnepr defense line by the Russians, providing encirclement opportunities.

SS Das Reich Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance east and capture Mogilev, and secure a crossing across the Dnepr. Secondary objectives-Advance northeast to Mstislavl-Yelnya.

GrossDeutschland Infanty Regiment -Initial objectives- Will advance east and capture Mogilev, and secure a crossing across the Dnepr. Secondary objectives-Advance northeast to Mstislavl-Yelnya.  

XXIV Panzer Corps

10th Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr at Mogilev, then steer southeast and advance to Krichev-Roslavl.

3rd Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr at Mogilev, then steer southeast and advance to Krichev-Roslavl.
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2018, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018, 06:06 AM by Plain Ian.)
RE: Smolensk '41 Camapign Game AAR
Interesting plans.  It looks simple on the map you have drawn but from the Dnepr to Smolensk is a long way. 

You are not sending anything north of the W. Dvina? Edit by this I mean running a Division further east than what you have plotted for 20th Panzer.

You’ve plotted a strange route for the 29th Motorised? 

I also can’t see any mention of the 4th Panzer and 1st cavalry Division of XXIV Mot Korps?

Vitebsk and Orsha are left to be captured by follow on infantry?

I can’t find my CD so I cannot follow the place names you’ve mentioned in your plans. I have redrawn your map based on the lines you drew and circled your objectives. I couldn’t resist it.

Good luck with your game. I can’t remember who said that no plan survives the first contact with the enemy but I do know its better to have a plan than none at all!

[Image: 2018-04-21_19h47_48.png]
04-24-2018, 05:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2018, 06:08 AM by larsonney.)
First off, thanks for redrawing the map...it looks great and is definitely an improvement!!

Here are the answers to your questions:

You are not sending anything north of the W. Dvina? Edit by this I mean running a Division further east than what you have plotted for 20th Panzer.
I only sent some screening forces to make sure the 214th RD, which starts the campaign on the northern map edge at Klimovo, moved south to Vitebsk or east instead of digging in at Gorodok.

You’ve plotted a strange route for the 29th Motorised?
I gave them the task of capturing Orsha if the Russians defended it, then to slide northeast and  advance due east north of the Dnepr to keep the Russian forces north of the Dnepr engaged and not able to retreat east while the panzer divisions raced east south of the Dnepr.

I also can’t see any mention of the 4th Panzer and 1st cavalry Division of XXIV Mot Korps?
In this campaign, the 4th Panzer and 1st Cavalry are not present.

Vitebsk and Orsha are left to be captured by follow on infantry?
Vitebsk will be captured by 18th Motorized and Orsha by 29th Motorized.

The quote is first attributed to Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, Chief of Staff of the Prussian General Staff, and yes…the plan has not survived the first day of battle! I hope to post the Day 1 recap soon!
04-26-2018, 03:31 PM,
Looks great. Can't wait to see how this one plays out.
04-27-2018, 07:04 AM,
(04-19-2018, 03:13 PM)larsonney Wrote: XXXIX Panzer Corps

20th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance north of the Dvina River, destroying the 168th RD and approach Vitebsk from the northwest, hopefully trapping the 128th RD from crossing the Luchesa river and blocking the 214th RD from moving south of Gorodok if they do so. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move east to along the line Yanovich-Dedenki-Novoselt'sy-Yashina-Donets to arrive north of Smolensk as the northern pincer to take the city.  

18th Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance south of the Dvina River, being the northern pincer that pockets the 7th Mech Corps before it can withdraw across the Luchesa River. Once that's done, cross the Luchesa and secure Vitebsk, destroying the 153rd RD. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move southeast along the line Gornevo-Liozno-Rudnya-Kovali-to arrive west of Smolensk as the center vise to take the city.  

7th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance northeast to the Dvina River, being the southern pincer that pockets the 7th Mech Corps before it can withdraw across the Luchesa River. Once that's done, cross the Luchesa, destroying the 223rd RD. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

20th Motorized -Initial objectives-Will advance south of Vitebsk and cross the Luchesa River. Once across hold the south flank and hold/destroy the 229th RD, securing the right flank of 7th & 12th Panzers drive northeast. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

12th Panzer-Initial objectives- Will advance south of Vitebsk and cross the Luchesa River. Once across, take the vanguard with 7th panzer and 20th motorized. Secondary objectives-From Vitebsk, move northeast along the line Goryane-Surazh-Velizh-Demidov-to position a push towards Yartsevo.  

XXXXVII Panzer Corps

17th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east towards Stayki and fix the 5th Mech Corps to the Dvina River. Once 5th Mech Corps is destroyed, move southeast and cross the Dnepr north of Orsha and drive easterly along the line Dubrovno-Lyady-Krasnyy. Secondary objectives-From Krasnyy, move northeast to position as the southern pincer of a Smolensk encirclement.

18th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance northeast and assist in the destruction of 5th Mech Corps, then pivot  southeast and cross the Dnepr north of Orsha and drive easterly along the line Dubrovno-Lyady-Krasnyy. Elements of the division will move to pocket and destroy the remnants of the 64th & 108th RDs behind the German lines. Secondary objectives-From Krasnyy, move northeast to position as the southern pincer of a Smolensk encirclement.  

29th Motorized -Initial objectives- Will advance northeast and fix the 73rd RD & 109th MD northeast of Orsha, slowly pushing west towards Makarova. Secondary objectives-Advance due east north of the Dnepr River.  

XXXXVI Panzer Corps

10th Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr south of Shklov. Elements of the division will move to pocket and destroy the remnants of the 100th & 161th RDs behind the German lines. Secondary objectives-Move east towards Gorki, being able to pivot north or south depending on need. The Dnepr crossing should force the abandonment of the Dnepr defense line by the Russians, providing encirclement opportunities.

SS Das Reich Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance east and capture Mogilev, and secure a crossing across the Dnepr. Secondary objectives-Advance northeast to Mstislavl-Yelnya.

GrossDeutschland Infanty Regiment -Initial objectives- Will advance east and capture Mogilev, and secure a crossing across the Dnepr. Secondary objectives-Advance northeast to Mstislavl-Yelnya.  

XXIV Panzer Corps

10th Motorized-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr at Mogilev, then steer southeast and advance to Krichev-Roslavl.

3rd Panzer-Initial objectives-Will advance east and cross the Dnepr at Mogilev, then steer southeast and advance to Krichev-Roslavl.

No problem with doing maps. Playing the game is harder. Here is a map with the Soviet units added from a the non Gold alt campaign. Placing the units on the capaign map from the PzC map was a bit difficult so some of them might not be quite right. 

I checked your plans and things fit just about, apart from 5th Mech which I possibly have placed wrong....or the the German units probably were placed wrong to start with since not all start on the Alt campaign map. (You mention 168th RD? 223rd RD? I think this is 186th/233rd?)

Anyway it shows the task in front of you. 

[Image: Smolensk41.png]
06-24-2018, 01:01 PM,
Well gents, Baelfiin went AWOL on me after turn 38, so this AAR will be abandoned! However, I have two worthy opponents that will be playing this scenario with me, but with a twist. This time, I will be the Russian Generalissimo against my German opponents-TBridges and Aolain.

I am interested in seeing how the Russians can fare in the Gold version with the increased mobility.

My posts will be coming soon...for now, pray the peasants can be victorious against the evil Huns!