• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Roman Civil war (game) questions
06-13-2018, 04:19 PM,
Roman Civil war (game) questions
Why do all the roman legions in this game use their pilum as the main weapon? 
I have noticed that making them go into testudo makes them drop their pilum for the gladius.

Slowdown in larger scenarios when in 3d view, is this on my end or is it the engines? 
Just noticed that turning off FOW increases scrolling speed.

Ill update as I recall more of my questions, regards
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2018, 09:11 AM,
RE: Roman Civil war (game) questions
(06-13-2018, 04:19 PM)Uboat47 Wrote: Why do all the roman legions in this game use their pilum as the main weapon? 
I have noticed that making them go into testudo makes them drop their pilum for the gladius.

Slowdown in larger scenarios when in 3d view, is this on my end or is it the engines? 

In the Scenario Editor you can change the Pilum for short spear. On some scenarios this is the case. The pilum is only factored in to the first round of combat out of the 4 rounds in any one given turn. The other 3 rounds of combat are based on the Legionary using his short sword (gladius). Have you downloaded the free scenarios from HPS?

Whilst in the testudo (shell formation) they can only use their sword. I can not remember if going back to Line formation allows the Legionary to pick up the Pilum again. Probably not as they will not be carrying it inside the testudo formation.

The slowdown in larger scenarios is evident particularly if the scenario visibility is good (long distance). The delay is caused by the subroutine on calculating the Line of Sight. I prefer to generate scenarios with a visibility of no more than 20 hexes.

Regards,
Paul
06-21-2018, 12:35 PM,
(06-16-2018, 09:11 AM)Titus Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 04:19 PM)Uboat47 Wrote: Why do all the roman legions in this game use their pilum as the main weapon? 

In the Scenario Editor you can change the Pilum for short spear. On some scenarios this is the case. The pilum is only factored in to the first round of combat out of the 4 rounds in any one given turn. The other 3 rounds of combat are based on the Legionary using his short sword (gladius). Have you downloaded the free scenarios from HPS?

Whilst in the testudo (shell formation) they can only use their sword. I can not remember if going back to Line formation allows the Legionary to pick up the Pilum again. Probably not as they will not be carrying it inside the testudo formation.

The slowdown in larger scenarios is evident particularly if the scenario visibility is good (long distance). The delay is caused by the subroutine on calculating the Line of Sight. I prefer to generate scenarios with a visibility of no more than 20 hexes.

Regards,
Paul
Good to know. Yes I have downloaded the free scenarios, unfortunately since this series has been dead for some time most of the helpful links no longer exist.
06-21-2018, 11:29 PM,
(06-21-2018, 12:35 PM)Uboat47 Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 09:11 AM)Titus Wrote:

Regards,
Paul
Good to know. Yes I have downloaded the free scenarios, unfortunately since this series has been dead for some time most of the helpful links no longer exist.
Tell me which information or free scenarios you are missing and I will post them here on the Blitz

Regards
Paul