• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42)
01-07-2018, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2018, 06:35 AM by Ocito80.)
Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42)
Currently the scenario is 99% complete. (explained near the bottom)

July 23, 1942, the drive for Stalingrad continues. Operation Fischreiher was the name for the operation given to Army Group B. The German Sixth Army still resides on the west side of the Don River. And the 4th Panzer Army advances far south on the other side of the Don. With supplies running low, the German war machine has to muster all of its courage and determination, sprinkled with a little luck, if it is to succeed. The Russian army will throw everything it can cobble together at the Germans, including local women manning AA guns in direct fire against German panzers.

The scenario is 400 turns. Thereby representing the 40 days of grueling combat of Army Group B advancing towards the city, and the Russians fanatical and desperate attempts to stop them. The object isn't the city itself, and the scenario stops just around the time many claim the battle for the city itself begins on September 2nd. As best as I can get it, this is an historical scenario. The smaller scenario with the game already, Don_Bend, was my starting point and I expanded upon it.

Key Features
1) German supply is low, and each passing week it gets lower. This should press the German player to advance as quickly as possible for supply will be a looming issue the deeper the scenario gets.
2) Various Russian supply sources are placed at certain points on the map to allow for the possibly of "fighting pockets". These sources are limited and not ideal for long term fighting.
3) The 4th Panzer Army, The Italian Units and the Russian 51st and 57th Armies are fixed to start the scenario. Other elements are initially fixed as well and free up over time.
4) Uses Stalingrad'42 base game.
5) Scenario setup could allow for smaller scenarios to be created from it in the future.

Rules:
Optional Assault Resolution
No ZOC locking
VST

1% to complete - I am having issues confirming and locating the positions of the following Russian units that may have been involved during the scenario (july 23 to sep 2)

158th Tank Bde
42nd Rifle Bde

If anyone has information on these units and cares to pass it along, would be most appreciative. Otherwise, someone in the future can take and complete the scenario :)

I've enclosed the associated files presently for the scenario for any wishing to take a look at it.

Future things to look at
.pdt file (maybe increase german air interdiction for both ground and air)
movement values - I thought I read once someone created values to place more emphasis on road movement.

As always, open to suggestions and questions.

Respectfully
Ocito
aka Atheory
aka Josh

Attached Files
.zip   Op_Fischreiher.zip (Size: 45.33 KB / Downloads: 28)
.zip   PzC Unit Values.zip (Size: 81.96 KB / Downloads: 23)
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2018, 07:47 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation Fischfreiher (Stalingrad42)
The correct spelling is "fischreiher," drop that second F. It means "Heron." I'm surprised one of the Germans (Austrians, Swiss) on here haven't spoken up yet.
01-09-2018, 11:27 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation Fischfreiher (Stalingrad42)
Ha, I appreciate the heads up on the typo, easy enough to correct :)

Thanks
01-09-2018, 12:07 PM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42)
My pleasure to contribute 0.00001% effort to this production. (Not enough to get my name on it as co-producer when it's finished, is it?)
01-10-2018, 05:14 PM,
Something seems to be wrong with the .scn file in the download, it won't open in either the editor or the game.
01-11-2018, 06:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 05:36 PM by Ocito80.)
@comradeP

Do you get a specific error?

I've rezipped just the scenario and oob file and posted it here, you can try this one.
01-11-2018, 05:02 PM,
"Error reading file", which isn't very clear. I'm not sure if the game keeps an error log somewhere.

I unzipped the files directly into the main Stalingrad '42 Gold folder. Maybe one of the "gold" changes isn't compatible with the scenario?

Does it work on your PC with the Gold update?
01-11-2018, 05:35 PM,
Usually that error, from my experience, means the game can't read the oob file. Yep, found the culprit.....meaning my error in that I renamed the oob file. I originally called the scenario "Drive_For_Stalingrad".

I'm updating my files here with the proper OOB file and it should work like a charm now. I apologize for the mishap.
01-12-2018, 12:44 AM,
Changing the filename worked.

Some unit types don't seem to link to a unit.dat and thus have no icon even though there are images for them in the file you posted. The Italians only have NATO counters and no visible unit type in the unit information box.

Some Soviet HQ's also don't display anything in the unit information box.

The German tank types you added also don't have a functional unit graphic even though it's in the folder.

The wired bridges feature is set for the wrong side (it should be Axis) and there don't appear to be any wired bridges (you have to assign wired status manually). 

The stock Don Bend scenarios also have the wired bridge feature applying to the wrong side, so the Soviets can blow up any bridge they want...
01-12-2018, 07:37 AM,
I've updated the scenario files located at the OP. They now include the Italian unit boxes which should fix that aspect. (these can also be copied from any other PzC game with Italian units in them)

I'm aware there are a few although not many Russian HQs without an image. I am hoping to finalize those once I have the location of the last few remaining units yet to place (that list is found in the OP).

I'm not sure what's up with the German tanks. Everything seems to match up. All images have been re-zipped and included in the file at the OP.

The wired bridge is just a left over (unchanged) setting in the pdt file from the original stalingrad_42 game. It has no bearing in this scenario. The Russians are free to destroy the bridges, and the Germans can readily build bridges with their many bridging units.

Thank you for the observations. That Italian one was an oversight on my part, and happily corrected.