• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Range of fire for on map artillery division
11-15-2017, 01:54 PM,
Range of fire for on map artillery division
I accidentally built a rocket division and noticed that it has appeared on map with 1000 rocket launchers (woot).  Reading the manual the only thing I can find on range is from 15.6.1 which says Soviet artillery firing from range 2 will fire more often.  So how do I know what the maximum range of the unit is?  I looked inside but did not see a range stated in unit details.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2017, 05:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2017, 05:43 AM by Weasel.)
RE: Range of fire for on map artillery division
Ok, finally got my rockets into the second line yesterday and while assaulting I was able to include them in the assault.  They only have an attack value of 1 so I am not sure if the artillery causes  other effects like suppression or what, but I am sure it does since an attack value of 1 hardly makes sense to build such an expensive unit.  Will have to dig through the book.

**Duh, 5.3.13 tells about the range for artillery, I read it and didn't register it before I asked this question....old brain**
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-20-2017, 05:57 AM,
Upon further searching I have found out that while artillery does not have a high CV, it can fire on its' own at a range of two and can only be countered by enemy artillery.  Also artillery has a far greater chance of reducing fortifications, thus you could put down a heavy barrage with just artillery and then attack.  I will have to build more of these.

Does anyone else build and use them?
11-21-2017, 02:37 PM,
I built an arty division once but then didn't know what to do with it, didn't realize it could attack from 2 hexes. Have to remember that when I have time to play again.
[Image: exercise.png]
11-22-2017, 04:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017, 04:56 AM by Weasel.)
It isn't clear in the manual at all, sort of all just mentioned in passing really. Such a big manual, and so poorly written.

Like last night I noticed I had construction battalions and RR repair crews fixing RR; I thought construction crews were for building defences and such, didn't know they could fix track; searched the manual and there is nothing on it at all, especially for RR repair crews.
11-24-2017, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2017, 08:07 AM by Weasel.)
So I built three "breakthrough" artillery divisions and fired them from two hexes back, they act the same as air strikes really; I didn't see the forts reduced but they did kill and disable men and equipment.
11-24-2017, 11:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2017, 11:46 AM by Gris.)
(11-24-2017, 08:06 AM)Weasel Wrote: So I built three "breakthrough" artillery divisions and fired them from two hexes back, they act the same as air strikes really; I didn't see the forts reduced but they did kill and disable men and equipment.

Try the 44 Operation Bagration scenario. It has a wide range of artillery units to experiment with. I build a lot of artillery during the entire campaign.

The on map artillery can fire two hexes, the SU units attack just like other SU units. You are right that they are like airstrikes. They should reduce forts too as you said. You need them when you get to Berlin in build-up areas.

-Gris
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-24-2017, 12:49 PM,
I will, thanks for the tip. I am really enjoying the game now, so much more than as Germany which was just frustration.
11-26-2017, 08:07 AM,
Well I have fired my heavy rocket division several times, with no effect at all on fortifications. In the north I built 3x heavy breakthrough divisions and stacked them and attacked, out of 6 attacks only once did I reduce the fortifications by .02%.
11-26-2017, 10:25 AM,
(11-26-2017, 08:07 AM)Weasel Wrote: Well I have fired my heavy rocket division several times, with no effect at all on fortifications.  In the north I built 3x heavy breakthrough divisions and stacked them and attacked, out of 6 attacks only once did I reduce the fortifications by .02%.

In v1.04.10 - April 18, 2011 -Artillery (especially Heavy Artillery) can cause small fort reductions during combat. 

I don't recall actual numbers in the manual. I would say engineers are effective and artillery helps. Artillery and Forts is very common when searching through the manuals, but I will see if I can find some more info.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris