• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Planning map
08-01-2017, 12:40 PM,
Planning map
Has anyone tried the planning map that is offered at Matrix:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2643336

I installed it and while it give a very realistic looking map I don't see how it allows you to plan anything, and the 9 pages of banter never hit on it either.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 01:35 AM,
RE: Planning map
(08-01-2017, 12:40 PM)Weasel Wrote: Has anyone tried the planning map that is offered at Matrix:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2643336

I installed it and while it give a very realistic looking map I don't see how it allows you to plan anything, and the 9 pages of banter never hit on it either.
Hi Weasel,

I agree, not sure what you can do with it that you couldn't already do by loading a game and playing it. Also the thread is a mess. Hard to tell where the latest downloads are. They should have the links in the first post. 

A jpg of the game can work just as well. Plenty of maps on wiki is you want to compare  where you are at vs history. Even with that, I do not see why it matters since it does not directly correlate to the game for victory. Seems like a lot of work for little return.

Might be better if it went in the direction of a map mod instead of planning tool.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
08-04-2017, 11:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM by Weasel.)
For those interested, this is what the map looks like.  Very realistic IMO, I like it and am using it over RainydayinRussia. If someone wants it I can email it to you (the full file, it is hard to find as 90% of the links are dead, but I got it from the dropbox link which is on the last or second last page.

[Image: Wite%20Plan%20map.jpg]
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
08-04-2017, 11:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 11:41 AM by Weasel.)
Found it, this link, post 234, DB link: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp...page=8&key=

Also I just noticed the creator said "it isn't a planning map in the Allied way of thinking" whatever that means.
08-04-2017, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 02:08 PM by Gris.)
(08-04-2017, 11:40 AM)Weasel Wrote: Found it, this link, post 234, DB link:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp...page=8&key=

Also I just noticed the creator said "it isn't a planning map in the Allied way of thinking" whatever that means.

If you look at 10.tga it has a legend with some of the symbols added for the no grid zoom 2 showing the locations of Air Bases and forts which really isn't much use in the game unless you want to park your units where they were historically. Other than that is seems to be a partial map mod. According to the legend Jison did the map and Goran did the names. My best guess is the map has the names in German which helps if that is your native language?

The planning map for no grid 4 (I had from a while back, don't remember the post) is a map of Axis line at certain dates. It has no legend and is really busy, I never found a use for it myself. 

Outside of comparison (Am I doing better than the Axis or Soviets) I am missing the point :) There is only so much you can change in the game since hexes have a function. 

After Barbarossa, what good is history? Once I take Moscow or Leningrad, nothing to compare to after that. Most games never have a Stalingrad or a Bagration. 

I am completly lost on the planning part (Allied way of thinking?), but it is a great looking map! They did a bang up job, I think. I am adding it to the collection. I am am going to stick with my no 2 pencil and scratch paper for the defense planning of the Motherland.

See you on the Steppe ;)
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
08-05-2017, 07:18 AM,
That is what I thought too, it is so you can compare how you are doing to history, but the dotted lines are too scattered and too busy as mentioned to be of use. Not sure why he calls it a planning map. That thread is a dogs breakfast and I am not sure why so many players are hyped about it.