• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Factory evacuation
05-03-2017, 01:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017, 01:45 AM by Gris.)
RE: Factory evacuation
(05-02-2017, 01:01 PM)Weasel Wrote: Now that I am on turn 3 it is time to start moving factories.  I have Walloc's guide but he only speaks of tanks and aircraft, and his guide is very old too. So I have two questions:

1.  is his guide still relevant?  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp...page=1&key=

2. Searching Matrix it seems that players don't evacuate heavy industry (HI) but they do armaments.  From what I found the priority is:

1. Armament
2. Vehicle Factories
3. Ground Elements
4. Air Planes
5. Heavy Industry

How many points of 2 and 3 (not sure what he means by ground elements) would you move?  If an armament factory is size 6 do you move all 6 or just 1?

Hi Weasel,

Factories in WITE provide the Commander the conundrum that makes 1941 so hectic. Without the factory dilemma the Soviet player can just fade back deep into the Steppe and return in 1944. If the Soviet player does that he will lose too much manpower and too many factories and never build an Army large enough or in time to take Berlin at the end game. Berlin will fall, but it has to fall in time to win. What you do in 41 directly affects 45.

I will not cover manpower, but the Axis would be wise to focus on it in 41. The Soviets will have to defend it in general. So for those new to WITE, I will cover the factories you can do something about in another thread. Industry. Here I will answer the above questions.

1. I have read in the Matrix forums that Walloc's guide in not relevant anymore. It is true to some degree. It is a good starting point. However, after it was written, some of the rules changed and bugs were fixed (as pointed out later in the thread). 

Looking at the Whats New PDF, the word "factory" is listed 288 times and mostly with the word upgrade or the path that equipment upgrades take. Like the KV tank eventually becoming an IS tank. A lot has changed so his math may not work anymore but his point is still valid. There are certain factories you have to get out before the Axis take them or you will have problems down the line and in some cases it is a game over. The rules changes talked about in the thread are in the What's New PDF under the following (page 236-243):

V1.06.27 – January 22, 2013
V1.06.25 – December 28, 2012 
V1.06.23 – December 16, 2012 
V1.06.22 – November 29, 2012
V1.06.19 – September 12, 2012

V1.06.13 – June 5, 2012 is the patch Walloc's guide was written for. Reading the above is a sleeper overall, but nice to know. It really just reinforces what Walloc was trying to say. In general, more info than a Commander needs. His point is this. The sooner you move the critical factories, the faster they start to rebuild and produce to create the Red Army 2.0 that will take Berlin. So the systems he talks about are still relevant. You need IS tanks to kill Panthers and Tigers to take Berlin. I won't say whether the math is good or bad, too much trouble to look into it honestly. The info on equipment is a good starting point and you can refine it with experience.

2. I agree with the list with an exception for the strategic situation on the ground. For example, usually Mogilev factories (X79,Y57) are on the first train out. Why? The Axis are going to take them and take them fast. So as the Commander you decide whether you can allocate the rail or leave them. This is a strategic decision based on the conditions on the ground. 

1. Armament - 21.1.3. Armament Production  - equipment and guns, you need these for Red Army 2.0.
2. Vehicle Factories - 21.1.6. Vehicle Production and Repair - trucks
3. Ground Elements - 21.1.7. Aircraft, AFV and Combat Vehicle Production - specific models i.e. T-34/1941
4. Air Planes - 21.1.7. Aircraft, AFV and Combat Vehicle Production - specific models i.e. MIG -3
5. Heavy Industry - 21.1.2. Heavy Industry (Supplies) Production and Allocation

Take this into consideration and this was Walloc's point. If I can move 3 points of KV factories it will reach maximum output faster. However, if you can only get one point out, then get one point out at all cost. He was referring to 3 & 4. You only get one chance to move them. If you have 20 KV factory points and move one. You lose 19 and they have to rebuild, but you will get your IS tanks.

In summary, I move as many points as I can based on the situation on the ground. If the Axis is going full bore towards Leningrad, then Leningrad gets the priority. The more you save, the better 45 looks.

Hope this helps. See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Gris - 05-03-2017, 01:37 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-03-2017, 07:37 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Gris - 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Gris - 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-03-2017, 10:05 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Gris - 05-03-2017, 01:26 PM
RE: Factory evacuation - by Weasel - 05-04-2017, 03:33 AM