• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Yet another WITE question (sorry) Airbases
05-08-2017, 08:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM by Weasel.)
Yet another WITE question (sorry) Airbases
Soviet guide says to start building airbases as soon as possible.  Went through the manual using search for build/airbase/ etc and it came up with nothing.  Went to the Matrix site and did a forum search for same, can't find how to build an airbase, only infantry, armour etc.

So how does one build an airbase?  I tried clicking beside a city to make the build button appear, but no airbase listed.  Selected an air command unit and tried seeing if I could build through them but nope.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 10:18 AM,
RE: Yet another WITE question (sorry) Airbases
(05-08-2017, 08:08 AM)Weasel Wrote: Soviet guide says to start building airbases as soon as possible.  Went through the manual using search for build/airbase/ etc and it came up with nothing.  Went to the Matrix site and did a forum search for same, can't find how to build an airbase, only infantry, armour etc.

So how does one build an airbase?  I tried clicking beside a city to make the build button appear, but no airbase listed.  Selected an air command unit and tried seeing if I could build through them but nope.

Hi Weasel,

Np, The only bad question is one that causes you to lose the game, just sayin'.

Select a major city (like Moscow) and hit the Shift-B. You will see a list of units you can build. The list will populate with what is available and you have enough admin points for. You can only build one air base per turn.

Pro-tip: Stacking counts! Three units per hex, you cannot build a unit that will cause over stacking.

Pro-tip: Shift-B builds new units, and the B key is for Build-up/breakdown combat units, for example creating cavalry corps. Merge in the unit detail window is for combining two under strength units together to make a unit with a MTOE max of 100%. 

See
18.1.2. Creating New Soviet Combat and Headquarters Units
18.1.5. Creating New Soviet Air Base Units

I try and build airbases for the new Fronts that are created. The number of airbases you have depend on several factors. For example, some like to run lean on Airbases to save on trucks, and more airbases allows you to arrange them in depth based on aircraft range and mission type. I usual have 6 airbases per Front and it seems to work for me. If you want that many, you will need to build them early to make of for the loss of SAD bases. If you like to run lean then you will not need to. Depends on the Front and how much you like to micro. Like every option, there are ups and downs. 

Also review:

8. Air units.

A short 8 page section, but lots of useful information.

Hope this helps, See you on the steppe.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
05-08-2017, 12:17 PM,
Hey Gris; Yeah I tried that, it doesn't populate with airbases. I guess that is why I read on Matrix that guys disband all but two of their SAD bases, makes sense now. I am enjoying playing as Russia more than Germany but I do agree with a lot of views that the Soviets have too much rail and it is too easy for them to move factories. Not sure if that is fact or not as compared to real life.

Thanks once again.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
05-08-2017, 12:47 PM,
(05-08-2017, 12:17 PM)Weasel Wrote: Hey Gris;  Yeah I tried that, it doesn't populate with airbases.  I guess that is why I read on Matrix that guys disband all but two of their SAD bases, makes sense now.  I am enjoying playing as Russia more than Germany but I do agree with a lot of views that the Soviets have too much rail and it is too easy for them to move factories.  Not sure if that is fact or not as compared to real life.

Thanks once again.

Agree, I usually disband the SAD bases as soon as possible if no more than the fact you just get them out of the way. I move the air groups to the National Reserve and reduce the commitment to zero. I knock them down to an MTOE of 20% (although I think 50% is the minimum) and move them to the rear. You recover men and trucks too. You will lose them anyways so the admin point is of little consequence to me. Some guys use them too, either way is ok. I just like to get things organize asap. I used to do the same with Corp HQ to reduce the number of units on the map, but that was changed. 

I do not know all the history on factories, but I have received the impression the Soviets moved most of them East from posts on Matrix forum.

NP, anytime
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
05-10-2017, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017, 01:04 PM by Weasel.)
disbanding the SAD did the trick, now I have a whole bunch of different types to pick from.

I am surprised to see the Rumanian troops routing my Russians, that wasn't how it was when I played.  Damn cheating game! Smile 

So I have decided to evacuate 50% of my armaments, vehicle and HI points and to leave the rest, I feel comfortable with that.  Don't know if it is sound or not but shall see.
05-10-2017, 01:11 PM,
(05-10-2017, 01:03 PM)Weasel Wrote: disbanding the SAD did the trick, now I have a whole bunch of different types to pick from.

I am surprised to see the Rumanian troops routing my Russians, that wasn't how it was when I played.  Damn cheating game! Smile 

So I have decided to evacuate 50% of my armaments, vehicle and HI points and to leave the rest, I feel comfortable with that.  Don't know if it is sound or not but shall see.

Right on, I'll update the note in the guide to reflect the SAD units.