• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

scale
04-29-2017, 11:10 PM,
scale
Can anyone tell me how you tell what the scale of the map is? I think I read somewhere about there being experiments with hexes being smaller than 250metres - but - with any of these Tiller games - how do you actually tell how large a hex is? Is there somewhere in game, or some file in the folder, where you can look this up definitively, or is it just whatever is said on the JTS site? 

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2017, 11:27 PM,
RE: scale
Panzer Battles has a 250 meters/hex scale. The demo includes one Guadalcanal scenario with a 125 meters/hex scale.
04-30-2017, 12:07 AM,
Thanks, Com P, but how do you know? Has someone told you that? Or is there a way of checking that in the game - the PD file or something?
04-30-2017, 12:52 AM,
It isn't configurable, the map is what the map was created at, set by hex in game implementation. So maybe it is 240 meters per hex, or 248, or whatever, as a source map is scaled to match approximately 250 meters in creating the game map. But there isn't a setting, and thus nothing to "check". You have to take the designer's word for it!

As ComradeP states, the Guadalcanal scenarios use a smaller piece of terrain per hex.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-30-2017, 01:46 AM,
No literal way to "check" in the program as far as I know (I checked parameter data to see if there might have been something there about the scale).

If you missed it you could estimate it based on weapon ranges. It's one of those things you just "know" as if you missed it in the manual or product information, it could be vague indeed.

Everything regarding scale or distances is roughly divided or multiplied (range) by 4 or more compared to PzC.
05-07-2017, 03:09 AM,
OK. I thought that was the case - it's not found anywhere except in info outside the game. Thanks.
05-12-2017, 11:40 AM,
Gentlemen

If you look in Section 1 of the User Manual, the Introduction, it states clearly that the scale is 250 meters per hex. This will need to be changed with the introduction of the smaller scale maps in the Demo for the Pacific Theater.