• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First time as Russians - have a question
04-27-2017, 11:02 AM,
First time as Russians - have a question
Going through the turn checklist provided by Gris (thanks)  and came across this sentence:

Conduct all airbase to airbase transfer before any other on map action

Not sure what it means.  Does the sentence mean to transfer squadrons between air bases before anything else?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2017, 01:24 PM,
RE: First time as Russians - have a question
Yes! Doing other things seems to prevent even potentially valid transfers from being allowed.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-28-2017, 08:31 AM,
Ok thanks. Geez, playing as the Reds is very hard, probably have spent 2 hours on the first turn and still only 50% done!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-30-2017, 03:01 AM,
(04-28-2017, 08:31 AM)Weasel Wrote: Ok thanks.  Geez, playing as the Reds is very hard, probably have spent 2 hours on the first turn and still only 50% done!

Hi Weasel,

Just saw this, As Ricky B stated correctly, if you are going to transfer air units, it is the first action in your turn. The air transfer function is very frustrating. I rarely use it anymore, I send units to National reserve and pull in new ones instead, but in 1941 there is not always that option. It is not broken, just very conditional.

Once you get to the Blizzard around Feb 42, they Soviets get a lot easier. Just a mess until then.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
04-30-2017, 03:22 AM,
I was overwhelmed with the Germans at first too but after several plays it has become much easier. I have yet to take Leningrad in either the big campaign or in the RTL scenario no matter what strategy I try. I have followed several UT videos, including one where buddy has never played before but took the city (it must have been on easy mode); he played using version 1.08. I can always take the city south of Leningrad but always fail at the big price.
04-30-2017, 04:23 AM,
(04-30-2017, 03:22 AM)Weasel Wrote: I was overwhelmed with the Germans at first too but after several plays it has become much easier.  I have yet to take Leningrad in either the big campaign or in the RTL scenario no matter what strategy I try.  I have followed several UT videos, including one where buddy has never played before but took the city (it must have been on easy mode); he played using version 1.08.  I can always take the city south of Leningrad but always fail at the big price.

I have taken it with the Infantry Corps and HQ buildup, but as I recall, it has always been in HTH. Attached pioneers, artillery, and STG's, build up and pound them with air, then assault. It can be slow going, but it works. Makes me wonder what the AI is doing different. Could be something in the latest patch. I haven't played as the Axis since last year, my current game I am playing as the Soviet. I am up next for Axis. The Campaigns take a while and sometimes you miss entire patches as one side.

Maybe I am doomed to fail before the Red Horde. Angry Mob
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
05-01-2017, 02:23 AM,
Who to run the ship?
I see in the notes that Stavka needs a new commander since the guy who is in charge has a low initiative.  The best is Zhukov, so I put him in charge, is that what experienced players do?  I was hesitant as I thought he may be better commanding a front or something.
05-01-2017, 03:40 AM,
I watched buddies Road to Leningrad video again, he used his entire force to drive north to Leningrad, leaving nothing in the south. I know in 1.09 if I leave even a gap of 3 hexes the Russians will drive through it and disrupt the rail lines and such, but in his video there are no Russians to be seen in the south, strange. He is at Leningrad on turn 4 and capturing it on turn 9.
05-01-2017, 08:55 AM,
RE: Who to run the ship?
(05-01-2017, 02:23 AM)Weasel Wrote: I see in the notes that Stavka needs a new commander since the guy who is in charge has a low initiative.  The best is Zhukov, so I put him in charge, is that what experienced players do?  I was hesitant as I thought he may be better commanding a front or something.

Historically Marshal Boris Shaposhnikov became ill in 41 and was replaced by Marshal Alexander Vasilievsky. Stavka was also more than one guy. WITE keeps it simple. In the beginning of the game you can't switch them out (at least in I couldn't, may have changed), so I wait. I usually send Zhukov to the Western Front Army to defend Moscow. At the high level I follow the historical line most of the time. There are better choices if you want to min/max. Again, there are best practices, like knowing what the leader traits are and do. After 41 you can lose a guy and get promotions and stats raised so it gets a bit ambiguous. There are some posting over at Matrix, especially on the Axis side.  I usually start at Army level and replace those guys first , then Front, then Stavka. You can work down too if you like. Admin points affect the choices more than anything, you only have so many in the beginning. Actual combat will sort the winners and losers. Another great example of the Macro vs Micro game in WITE that is does so well.

Look at 11. 2 Leader Ratings. Admin (movement & supply), initiative (movement) , and morale (CV) are important ones to consider, but obviously all matter to a degree.

Zhukov is not a bad choice anywhere IMO.
05-01-2017, 08:56 AM,
(05-01-2017, 03:40 AM)Weasel Wrote: I watched buddies Road to Leningrad video again, he used his entire force to drive north to Leningrad, leaving nothing in the south.  I know in 1.09 if I leave even a gap of 3 hexes the Russians will drive through it and disrupt the rail lines and such, but in his video there are no Russians to be seen in the south, strange.  He is at Leningrad on turn 4 and capturing it on turn 9.

Do you have a link? I would like to view the replay.