• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infantry Battles ?
04-18-2017, 04:22 AM,
Infantry Battles ?
I have been very much enjoying the new scenarios in the Panzer Battles demo, in particular the two covering the Battle of  Tenaru in the Solomon Islands, that uses the new 125 meters per hex scale. It’s been interesting to run it alongside the scenario covering the same battle from “Rising Sun” using the more familiar 250 meters per hex scale.

I do however wonder here if might be better to use the smaller scale for a separate series called “Infantry Battles” looking at battles and campaigns throughout the 20th Century that took place in relatively confined spaces where the main focus would be on infantry combat with other arms taking  a more supporting role. Pacific island Battles the various wars in Vietnam and urban combat on the Eastern Front (including Stalingrad) being 3 cases in point here.

Indeed if you were going to do this there is a case to be made for dropping the ground scale a little more to 120 meters per hex. If you did this (in the same way as was done for the Kursk Southern Flank title with the map from the Kursk Panzer Campaigns game) you could (presumably using the same sort of softwhere tool)  convert 7 hex clumps on “Squad Battles” maps into single “Infantry Battles” hexes.

One of the greatly underutilized features of a number of the “Squad Battles” titles are the very large maps created for particular battles. For example there are complete 40 meters per hex maps of Wake island, Iwo Jima,  Stalingrad, Hue and Dien Bien Phu. With a 120 meters per hex scale for an Infantry Battles series this earlier work could then be fed into a range of titles with perhaps less effort than would be the case if all the maps had to be made from scratch ?
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2017, 12:45 PM,
RE: Infantry Battles ?
Interesting suggestion, thanks for sharing it!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-18-2017, 01:16 PM,
RE: Infantry Battles ?
Good Ideas !
Regarding your last point, I had suggested to David that we (or I...) test this using the demo and the DBP Castor map. I sent him the map for conversion, but have not heard back.(David has a lot of Irons-in the-fire, so this is way down the queue.)
I think 40m would certainly represent City battles better as SqB models the difficulties of crossing the street from one building to another quite well IMHO.