• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Objective placement etc.
04-07-2017, 07:17 AM,
Objective placement etc.
I am designing a scn. in the Budapest Camp.  game.

I was wondering, placement of Objectives , aggressiveness of the AI.

Is there an aggressiveness mechanism to make the AI more aggressive?

Or will it just seek out objective hexes best it can?

I am a veteran of other John Tiller titles ( EF, WF, ME etc.) where in there is a setting where you can make the AI act with more authority, push at all costs etc...do we have anything similar in the Panzer camp. series?
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2017, 12:52 AM,
RE: Objective placement etc.
No takers eh? Even off hand advice?
04-17-2017, 01:04 AM,
I would say the AI is very aggressive, too much so really, when at times it should be standing on the defensive. In designing your scenario, you can set AI orders to help guide the units toward specific points, or with a hold order (which get ignored in many case). And then as you suggest, the AI will focus on objectives over and above these orders that you set.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-17-2017, 06:46 PM,
As Rick says the AI will focus on the objectives often ignoring its flanks, becoming isolated and unnecessary losses etc.....

I have never set AI orders so cant give any tips on that.
04-19-2017, 03:14 AM,
thx Gents.....and that was helpful.

For instance, Ricky, when you say 'hold' order, do you mean as in 'fixed'(fixing) units?
04-19-2017, 07:46 AM,
I would have to agree with the above posts. The AI is for learning the game then go to real players for second game onwards as the AI is a waste of time and easily baited.
04-19-2017, 02:29 PM,
(04-19-2017, 03:14 AM)carl11 Wrote: thx Gents.....and that was helpful.

For instance, Ricky, when you say 'hold' order, do you mean as in  'fixed'(fixing) units?

No, not fixing. In the scenario editor, under A/I, there is Add Hold Order - versus Add Active Order which orders the units to move somewhere. Hold will encourage the units to sit where they are, but doesn't work nearly all the time.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-20-2017, 12:05 AM,
Interesting. I didn't know the Hold order wasn't always effective. Ive been thinking of tinkering with some scenarios myself.
04-20-2017, 06:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2017, 06:18 AM by Kool Kat.)
b_Exclamation Mark  RE: Objective placement etc.
(04-19-2017, 07:46 AM)c00per Wrote: I would have to agree with the above posts. The AI is for learning the game then go to real players for second game onwards as the AI is a waste of time and easily baited.

Gents:  Smoke7

I would never use the AI to learn the TOC series! Yikes  

IMO, players will only pick-up "bad habits" playing against HAL. e.g. What tactics work against the AI will most certainly fail against a human opponent!

The only effective way to learn how to become a better player in the TOC series of games, is to dive in head first and play all your games against a human opponent.

Yep. You will take your lumps and lose more then you win to start off with... but if you stick with it and learn from both your mistakes and victories, you will develop into a better player.

Read the player manual if you want to understand the mechanics of play... but play against a human opponent if you wish to become a better player.  Helmet Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-21-2017, 08:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM by c00per.)
(04-20-2017, 06:16 AM)Kool Kat Wrote:
(04-19-2017, 07:46 AM)c00per Wrote: I would have to agree with the above posts. The AI is for learning the game then go to real players for second game onwards as the AI is a waste of time and easily baited.

Gents:  Smoke7

I would never use the AI to learn the TOC series! Yikes  

Well I am not a reactionary personality and I do not see the problem with a new player playing the AI to learn how to use travel mode versus non travel mode for example, or how to lay a minefield with an engineer, or how to bombard a unit with artillery. I really think your reaction is over the top but I am sure others may agree with you. As for the best way to play the game is with a real person we both agree on that !
Peace