• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Creating HQ
02-14-2017, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 07:36 AM by Weasel.)
Creating HQ
Reading the manual and on page 181 it states you can create a HQ, but it doesn't state HOW!  So, does anyone know how to create a new HQ?

Maybe only Soviets can create HQ?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2017, 01:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2017, 01:26 AM by Gris.)
RE: Creating HQ
(02-14-2017, 07:28 AM)Weasel Wrote: Reading the manual and on page 181 it states you can create a HQ, but it doesn't state HOW!  So, does anyone know how to create a new HQ?

Maybe only Soviets can create HQ?

Hi Weasel,

Only the Soviets can. Here is how.

Rule 5.1.2.1. Map Information Tab,  5.4.31. Pick Unit Type Window (Soviet Player Only), 12.2.4. Admin Costs for Creating Soviet Units or Forming Soviet Corps Combat Units, & 18.1.2. Creating New Soviet Combat and Headquarters Units

From the manual:

Build Combat or Headquarters Unit (hotkey Shift-B): Used to create new Soviet units (18.1.2). Note that this button will only display for the Soviet player when a light/heavy urban or adjacent hex is selected on the map. Selection of this button will bring up the 'Pick Unit Type' window (5.4.31).

1. Select Urban hex

2. Hit Build Button or Shift-B

3. Select desired unit.

PRO TIP: Stacking does apply. You cannot over stack a hex by building. Most units will enter the game frozen for a turn or in the case of Air bases, several. Air Groups go to the National Reserve. Make sure you have the admin points.

Key point: The B key is for "Buildup", combining two or more units into one, 7.5.3.1. Soviet Buildup and Breakdown Availability, The Shift-B is for Building "New Units". Merge is taking two under strength units and combining them so there MTOE does not exceed 100%. 7.5.3.6. Merging Units.

Hope this helps, See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
02-15-2017, 04:08 AM,
Ha, what an idiot I am, I kept doing B and not shift-B.

I have been reading an AAR put out by para on his WITE campaign. He has taken Moscow and Leningrad and destroyed over 220 infantry divisions alone, and still the Soviets have tons of units to counter attack with during the blizzard. It really makes me wonder if the game can be won as Germany. I thought I was doing well with destroying 180 divisions by Sept, guess not.

Maybe things will improve for him, I am only on page 25 of 64.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-15-2017, 04:58 AM,
(02-15-2017, 04:08 AM)Weasel Wrote: Ha, what an idiot I am, I kept doing B and not shift-B.

I have been reading an AAR put out by para on his WITE campaign.  He has taken Moscow and Leningrad and destroyed over 220 infantry divisions alone, and still the Soviets have tons of units to counter attack with during the blizzard.  It really makes me wonder if the game can be won as Germany.  I thought I was doing well with destroying 180 divisions by Sept, guess not.

Maybe things will improve for him, I am only on page 25 of 64.

Hard to say, I haven't read the AAR and couldn't find it. Honestly a lot of the guys posting are above average players. Certainly past my skill in many cases (knowing a lot of the rules doesn't always equate to solid play, just sayin'). Much depends on the settings, which campaign, etc etc. Consider how much industry has been evacuated, manpower centers (most are in the south), and if he makes it through the blizzard, will he have a stellar 1942. Few players experience a Stalingrad. Many units that were encircled in the beginning, plus Siberian reinforcements return at that time.

One major item to consider is many games are not played to the bitter end (past 1942). I understand there is a point where the game cannot be won, but having played wargames for a long time, player morale usually breaks long before the actual game is over. In the Campaign games with the exception of Sudden Death, victory is not decided by the game till 1945. I am lead to believe due to the length of the game and the time involved many games are called because the time investment does not seem worth it. I draw this conclusion from the fact you see little posting on 1943 to 1945 in general. All the talk is on the early war. Nothing wrong with this at all, just my perspective, reality may paint a different picture.

To me it is a matter of finding a challenging setting when played against the AI, or in HTH, a player of equal skill. I do not think 180 is bad at all, only 40 behind. If you did 180 in your current game, you will get 220 no problem in your next. Taking Moscow and Leningrad is about supply and infantry.

So I would not let the AAR discourage you, you command the mighty Wehrmacht, Field Marshall, victory is at hand! Big Grin

See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
02-15-2017, 05:36 AM,
Here is the link to the AAR, it is really good. I think from page 9 to 11 he goes on vacation and there are just posts of guys crying that he is not posting.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3183226/1
02-15-2017, 06:19 AM,
(02-15-2017, 05:36 AM)Weasel Wrote: Here is the link to the AAR, it is really good.  I think from page 9 to 11 he goes on vacation and there are just posts of guys crying that he is not posting.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3183226/1

Hi Weasel,

Thanks for the link, looks really good!

It is an Axis vs AI patch 1.05.32 beta on normal from 2011, so that is a factor when comparing, different game than today's WITE. 

Just scrolling through it though, he creates an exciting AAR!
02-15-2017, 07:03 AM,
I have been thinking of a passive strategy, which of course the Germans would not know about. Limited gains in 41, basically Leningrad to Smolensk, and then hold the line until spring 42. If I read the rules correctly the blizzard should be reduced that far west and the Germans would have more power, but of course so would Russia. Basically make it Barbarossa 42.

I have found my AG are having CP trouble, Rundstedt is at -61CP due to my loading AGS, and AGC is at -19, seems like I am penalized for using my reserve divisions.
02-15-2017, 01:54 PM,
(02-15-2017, 07:03 AM)Weasel Wrote: I have been thinking of a passive strategy, which of course the Germans would not know about.  Limited gains in 41, basically Leningrad to Smolensk, and then hold the line until spring 42.  If I read the rules correctly the blizzard should be reduced that far west and the Germans would have more power, but of course so would Russia.  Basically make it Barbarossa 42.

I have found my AG are having CP trouble, Rundstedt is at -61CP due to my loading AGS, and AGC is at -19, seems like I am penalized for using my reserve divisions.

I never tried it, would be interesting to see how it works out if you try it.

Just a reflection of reality. Commands can only handles so much. More is not always better. The CP are pretty high and they effect many things, see 7.6.2.Attachment of Combat Units to Headquarter Units and Command Capacity & 11.3. Leader Rating Checks to start with. Sometimes it is unavoidable, maybe you can transfer a HQ to AGN to pick up the excess units and operate north of the AGC boundary in support of operations in the center? In the south transfer a Corps to the Rumanians to hold in reserve or refit if you have one really beat up? -61 is a lot of units, i.e 30 Divisions. Use the HQ tab of the CR report to see which commands are low and move them to a place where they can support your operation. Remember, AGN does not have to operate in the north. In can operate north of Moscow depending on the situation.

Hope this helps, see you on the Steppe!