• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Update: Calais.1944.Campaign.scn Diary
02-10-2017, 10:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-15-2017, 05:54 AM by Ocito80.)
Write a Note  Update: Calais.1944.Campaign.scn Diary
I recently created two scenarios that are out for testing/playing. Now I have time to sink my teeth into another one. I only have the following games at present, F40, K43, N44, S43 and T43. Below are a couple ideas, and any that the peanut gallery cares to comment on or suggest.

1. Calais.44 : Allies invaded Europe via Pas de Calais, Hitler was right all along. Goal is to land and spearhead straight for Antwerp, which would open the doors for a thrust towards Germany before their forces in France can regroup and counter-attack. Without the hedgerows, could an advance inland be faster?
I'd use the F40 map, reducing the size accordingly, import the Normandy OOB and add the 15th Army.

2. Normandy.Junior.44: Invasion centered around Cherbourg and the western beaches. OOB remains the same. Nothing really new here, just a slightly different view of the battle.

3. Normandy.Senior.44: Invasion as normal, but 15th Army is thrown into the fray right away. Axis must push the allies back into the sea.

4. I buy a new PzC game and come up with a new scenario. Salerno43 is intriguing, but I fear the maps are too small/focused for what I like. If only it had a map of southern italy (rome to boot). B44 maybe...K43 maybe, turn it from defensive battle into one of maneuver...S42 maybe...what to do differently...advance to Stalingrad? Encircle city instead?

5. Peanut gallery suggestions?

Thanks
Atheory
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2017, 10:55 AM,
RE: Poll: Next Ahistorical Scenario Design
>>I buy a new PzC game and come up with a new scenario. Salerno43 is intriguing, but I fear the maps are too small/focused for what I like. If only it had a map of southern italy (rome to boot).

That map would be 700 or 800 hexes long. Also consider the game maps only allow for 12 or 14 elevation deltas so such a wide area, sea level, plains and mountains would be pretty damn hard to represent.

Glenn
Send this user an email
02-10-2017, 11:44 AM,
France40 is almost 400 wide hexes, doesn't seem too unreasonable to double that........

those words are full of sarcasm....
02-11-2017, 02:14 AM,
I don't think that was Glenn's intention, having created several titles he was just giving his opinion on some of the difficulties you may encounter in your project. Wink
02-11-2017, 02:53 AM,
No, my words were full of sarcasm........as in I was agreeing with his assessment.
02-11-2017, 04:21 AM,
This thread went in a different direction, so I am going to start work on a Landing at Pas de calais in 1944, using the France40 map and importing the OOB from Normandy44, and adding the 15th Army and local units as I come across them.

Allies will have 3rd Army available sooner, and Axis more reserves available. It will be a monster scenario much like the campaign in Normandy44 is, but possibly one of more maneuver since no hedgerow country.

Allied objectives/vp locations will be
1. Secure Pas.de.Calais region
2. Sweep V1 launch sites around abbeville/amiens
3. Capture and hold Antwerp.
4. Strike towards Givet and eliminate V3 assembly areas.
5. And anything else interesting that pops up during my research.

I welcome, as always, feeback, suggestions, recommendations etc.. as I progress.
02-11-2017, 05:34 AM,
(02-11-2017, 02:53 AM)Ocito80 Wrote: No, my words were full of sarcasm........as in I was agreeing with his assessment.

OK sorry, I misread that...... Wink
02-11-2017, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 11:50 AM by -72-.)
(02-10-2017, 11:44 AM)Ocito80 Wrote: France40 is almost 400 wide hexes, doesn't seem too unreasonable to double that........

those words are full of sarcasm....

Am fairly sure Glenn is talking about the elevations as a part of the dimensions of a map, as it isn't just X by Y but also elevation too.

Sounds like an interesting project. :)
Send this user an email
02-11-2017, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 02:49 PM by Ocito80.)
sigh.........yes, Glenn made it quite clear in his post. As he commented on both the width of such a map and the elevation problem.
02-11-2017, 02:54 PM,
As I'm creating the Calais.44 OOB, I'm curious if anyone out there is capable and available to do a few unit images? I'm going to hobble together what I can from the 5 games I own, but no doubt I'll be missing some. I'll do generics naturally if I have to.