• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aviation commitment
01-28-2017, 01:16 PM,
Aviation commitment
I have been manually setting my airstrikes but have noticed that the force I select often gets reduced, I figure the air doctrine setting has something to do with this but I checked and my ground attack was set to 100 for bombers.  I then noticed a setting AVIATION COMMITMENT in the unit panel with numbers 1 to 9; I searched the manual but cannot find a darn thing on what this is, it is not mentioned (not in the condensed rules).

Anyone know what it means?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2017, 01:21 PM,
RE: Aviation commitment
Ok, I found this in the original game manual, I have no idea what it means so my question still stands, what is AC?

The air group unit commitment system allows players to semi-automatically manage the deployment of air group units to and from the national air reserve and air base units at the air base unit level. Rather than select individual air group units, the player can adjust the number of units and the type (based on range) for each individual air base unit. The air group commitment settings are ignored if the player uses a different method to manually transfer air group units.

There are two components to the system, aviation range and aviation commitment level. The aviation range is computed by dividing the aircraft radius by 10 and can be 'less than 20 hexes', 'less than 40 hexes', more than 41 hexes' or 'all ranges'. Aviation commitment level ranges from 0 to 9 and designates the number of air group units the player desires at that particular air base unit. To use the air group unit commitment system, the player adjusts the aviation range and commitment level for an air base unit in the air base unit detail window and then selects the 'MOVE' button (5.4.18)

To me it sounds like you can limit the number of squadrons at an airbase with AC level setting, no?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
01-29-2017, 10:27 AM,
That sounds like it will manage the moving of air units from your national reserve out to the airbases based on those settings. Set an airbase to 6, while it has 1, and you have 10 air units in the reserve, set the range to whatever matches the reserve, hit Move, and it should move 5 units to the base. Interesting, have never used any of this, although the range part is familiar but didn't know what it was for before!

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-31-2017, 04:08 AM,
Not sure, I reduced some as they were set to 9 and I really don't need 9 air recon squadrons at a single base. I tried using AIR TRANSFER mode last turn, couldn't get it to work. It is too bad the manual only tells you what it does, and not how to do it.
02-04-2017, 02:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017, 02:18 PM by Gris.)
(01-31-2017, 04:08 AM)Weasel Wrote: Not sure, I reduced some as they were set to 9 and I really don't need 9 air recon squadrons at a single base.  I tried using AIR TRANSFER mode last turn, couldn't get it to work.  It is too bad the manual only tells you what it does, and not how to do it.
Hi Weasel, (I'm back, man was I sick, lol!)

This is another example of the Macro vs Micro game in WITE. As you posted, this is covered in rule 8.4.3.Air Group Unit Commitment System. It is an easier way to move Air Groups from/to the National Reserve to the air base. Ricky B was spot on.

[Image: Air%20Commit.jpg]

1. Right click on an Air Base

2. At this air base I have 4 Air Groups. Red circles on the left - 4 attached units and number and type of aircraft.

3. At this point you could proceed manually and select the assign button next to the attached units (in this case 4) and pick which units you want from the reserve.

Note: if you want to send the unit to the National Reserve, select the unit and then the send to reserve button.

or....

4. Use the commitment system.

Aviation commitment is the number of Air Groups I want at the base. In this case is says 5. I only have 4. When I hit the MOVE button the AI will select a unit from the National Reserve and place it at the Air Base. The ADD and SUB button changes the commitment number. If you have 9 Air Groups, use the SUB to lower it. The reverse is true also. If I have 9 Air Groups at the base and set my commitment to 6, 3  Air Groups will move to the National Reserve, selected by the AI.

5. The ranges are a very basic way to filter out certain aircraft types base on their range.

Less than 20 - Fighters, Transports
Less than 40 - Tac Bombers, LR Fighters
41 or More - LR Bombers
All ranges - Everything

I think at some point this was changed or happens under the hood (just can't remember, ignore the divide by math), there was a bug in it a while ago too. I have not found anything in the documentation to verify this, but in my experience the numbers above apply to the "radius" characteristic.  Click on the Air Group name and you can see the characteristics of the aircraft. Look at radius. The type of aircraft above are my generalization of the kind of aircraft  the AI will pick. In my experience it appears the AI takes into consideration the type of Air Base too. Anyone with insight, please add to this, it would be good to know info.

Few Pro Tips: Review these rules for more insight.

5.3.10. Air Transfer Mode (F10) & 16.3.7. Air Group Unit Transfer - If you are going to transfer air groups conduct the missions before you do anything else in your turn. If they will not transfer, make sure they are in day mode. I ran into night mode being a problem (don't know why)

8.2.1. Air Base Unit Attachment Restrictions - Important to know for the Axis Player, saves a lot of frustration.

18.1.5. Creating New Soviet Air Base Units - The AI will automatically create bases if you have high commitment levels at a 6 (air groups) to 1 (airbase) or more ratio.

The Air Commitment system is the Macro game. You selecting ASSIGN and picking each unit is the micro game. For the Soviets I use the Air Commitment (Macro) and for the Axis the Micro. One important point to take away, the air groups move to and from the National Reserve, this not for transferring from air base to air base. If you have no Air Groups in the National Reserve, you have nothing to commit. Both work equally well. The Macro is quicker and the Micro can make the difference between victory and defeat.

Hope this helps. See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
02-05-2017, 04:43 AM,
I have noticed a few things:

1. The Axis have far more recon squadrons than combat, way too many, my national reserve is full of them
2. The Ju87 is a wonderful asset to soften up targets
3. Sometimes my transport won't resupply units, says not available. They have no air miles so I don't understand it. I thought maybe it was because the enemy was near but the rules don't state anything about that, the units are within range too
4. The reserve 2LW base near Berlin will only allow recon squadrons to be assigned to it, but the national reserve has all sorts of fighters and bombers.

I have moved several recon squadrons back to reserve, dumb asset, would rather have more JU88s or 109s.

**How many Soviet divisions do you think you need to destroy to really weaken them? I am on turn 12 and have destroyed 120 divisions, but I am sure that is not enough, most likely need about 200?**

Glad you are feeling better, being sick sucks. I thought you were just tired of our questions!! :-)
02-05-2017, 05:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017, 05:33 AM by Gris.)
(02-05-2017, 04:43 AM)Weasel Wrote: I have noticed a few things:

1.  The Axis have far more recon squadrons than combat, way too many, my national reserve is full of them
2.  The Ju87 is a wonderful asset to soften up targets
3.  Sometimes my transport won't resupply units, says not available.  They have no air miles so I don't understand it.  I thought maybe it was because the enemy was near but the rules don't state anything about that, the units are within range too
4.  The reserve 2LW base near Berlin will only allow recon squadrons to be assigned to it, but the national reserve has all sorts of fighters and bombers.

I have moved several recon squadrons back to reserve, dumb asset, would rather have more JU88s or 109s.

**How many Soviet divisions do you think you need to destroy to really weaken them?  I am on turn 12 and have destroyed 120 divisions, but I am sure that is not enough, most likely need about 200?**

Glad you are feeling better, being sick sucks.  I thought you were just tired of our questions!! :-)

1. Yes, but recon is important. Air recon can raise the Detection level to 4. The highest DL is 9. DL directly affects CV. Rule 7.1 & 13.1

2. The Best! Excellent aircraft.

3. Hard to answer because I don't know the details, if it is hex related try one hex away and see if it flys. Also try shift right click and see if you can select the recon units. It sounds like none are in range. It could also be a supply issue for the airbases or if the airbases is in restrictive terrain, 8.2.1.Air Base Unit Attachment Restrictions.

4. I believe this is a historical design decision.

The number of Soviets you need to eliminate is hard to answer, because different players set MTOE to different rates. 10 Division at 60% MTOE is the same as 6 set at a 100% (in theory). It is also different vs the AI. In HTH it is harder because most players will see it coming. So I will say this. Always encircle as many as possible, but if you are playing the long game (where your opponent does not surrender or you are not playing some type of sudden death) then you need to take the manpower centers. If the Soviets lose too many they will never retake the ground fast enough in 1944 to win the game. Manpower was a logistics issue for Soviet Infantry Divisions as the war dragged on contrary to the propaganda. Playing the Axis is not always about winning, it is usually about not losing.

Never get tired of answering, you are keeping me up to date on the rules Big Grin
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
02-05-2017, 05:56 AM,
I never thought of the manpower cities, good tip!!