• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

1.02 patch for Panzer Battles Normandy - Released
11-13-2016, 10:16 AM,
RE: 1.02 patch for Panzer Battles Normandy - Released
(11-13-2016, 06:08 AM)RichG Wrote: Excellent - thanks for all the efforts involved in this.  There's a lot of really good stuff in this update.

I do have a question though - why change a lot of the shortcuts from needing single keys to needing ctrl+key?  
This is MUCH more cumbersome.  A lot of shortcuts now need two hands or an awkward stretch.  Where as previously I could hit the keys very quickly without hardly needing to glance down at the keyboard.

Are the keys user changeable?  If not can we have the option of the old keys back?

Thanks again.

RichG,

Thanks for the commentary. We KNOW changing established hotkeys was always going to be controversial. Trust me we got that feedback from the testing team.

That said as we were adding so many we went back and looked at the rationale for many and there just wasn't any. Adding over 70 shortcut keys meant we had to go to a dual key combo for many and we debated that the best way was to re-lay them all out.

We worked with the following rationale in mind;

Alt Keys are for Menus and Dialog Boxes

Ctrl Keys are for Actions. The Ctrl function is deliberate to ensure a player wants to execute the action.

Natural Keys are for Display functions and in most case toggle meaning they will turn on with one press and turn off on a second press.

Function Keys are for Documentation

Key Pad Keys are for unit movement and duplicate movement state changes

Probably the most controversial choice here is forcing the player to use Ctrl for many regular (single press) items. We did this deliberately as these functions permanently change a units state in many cases (think travel mode etc). Nearly all of these can be done with two fingers on your left hand. (Actually we even left '0' on the numpad as an alternative to Ctrl T for travel mode).

All the above was deliberate and we have found that our play testers got use to it pretty quickly as they got use to the new system - using a mix of the shortcut keys and the new icon bars.

As far as remapping - unfortunately not. There is some things that are immovable in the program and this was one of them.

Thanks and please give it more of a chance, it will feel easier after a few days as you use certain combos etc.

David
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2016, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2016, 11:06 AM by Buccaneer.)
I had the same issue as Lowlander with it not correctly placing the files in the Normandy directory.  I did notice one odd thing with the extractor, it said to pick where Kursk was installed then listed the default Normandy directory.   I'm assuming that's just a typo in the dialog box ... but wanted to bring it to your attention.

What I did to get the Normandy update to work was to extract to another folder, copy over to my Normandy folder, than ran the batch file.  All seems to be working now.

I'm also running Windows 10.

When I updated Kursk, everything worked fine.
"Damnation seize my soul if I give your quarters, or take any from you." - Edward Teach
11-13-2016, 11:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2016, 11:11 AM by Buccaneer.)
I think I found the issue ... there is a space in front of " Battles of Normandy" in the installers filepath.
"Damnation seize my soul if I give your quarters, or take any from you." - Edward Teach
11-13-2016, 11:13 AM,
(11-13-2016, 11:09 AM)Buccaneer Wrote: I think I found the issue ... there is a space in front of " Battles for Normandy" in the installers filepath.

Thanks, I'll have a look. 

As mentioned there is no issue if you use the browse button to find your particular install.

Thanks all for your patience and input.

David
11-13-2016, 11:22 AM,
Thanks for the great update! Really looking forward to getting in and trying out the new changes!
11-13-2016, 10:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 03:25 PM by dukemat.)
there is/was no bridge at............85,108

Heavy Bridge removed from hex (85,108)
11-13-2016, 10:17 PM,
I'm also a window 10 user and am having problems with install

I keep getting a this app cant run on this PC error
To find a version for this pc check with your software publisher

I have never had this problem before with patches

Any ideas ?
11-13-2016, 10:46 PM,
(11-13-2016, 10:17 PM)Laza Wrote: I keep getting a this app cant run on this PC error

By "this app" do you mean the installer EXE, or the game EXE?
11-13-2016, 11:06 PM,
(11-13-2016, 11:09 AM)Buccaneer Wrote: I think I found the issue ... there is a space in front of " Battles of Normandy" in the installers filepath.

Correct !!!

This causes the patch to unzip into it's own folder, you end up with two Panzer Battles Normandy Folders.

Solution, before you select Unzip.
Select Browse, and navigate to the correct game folder, then select unzip.
11-13-2016, 11:06 PM,
(11-13-2016, 10:17 PM)Laza Wrote: I'm also a window 10 user and am having problems with install

I keep getting a this app cant run on this PC error
To find a version for this pc check with your software publisher

I have never had this problem before with patches

Any ideas ?

Someone mentioned I had clicked you need to be administrator button in the zip. we have updated the  build  on John Tillers site.  I suggest you redownload and try again.

David