• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

To all my opponents and allies
10-23-2016, 05:44 AM,
To all my opponents and allies
Gentlemen,

I'm, more or less, off-line for an unknown period of time. I'm presently in Cancun, Mexico on a trip that was meant to be a vacation. My mother, who was visiting us from Germany, came along and took ill within an hour after our arrival. She's 88 years old, was cleared by her doctor to travel and seems to have caught a stomach virus on the plane. She spent two nights in intensive care and three more in the hospital. The costs were quite high, about $14000. Her German insurance didn't cover her, so I was forced to pay. They didn't even start treatment until I paid them the first $4800, I hope she can get some of that back from her German insurance. So my first message to the community – be absolutely certain of your coverage or get supplementary coverage when traveling to a foreign country!!

I'm now unable to return home with my wife because we feel it's better if I accompany my mother back to Germany. Since I'm forced to be over there, I'll rent a car and spend an as yet unknown period of time floating around Europe. I'll fly back with the US Air Force on a “space available” basis as is allowed to retired military for my 21+ years of US Army service and which costs nothing. I expect to be able to work on game turns over in Europe, I just don't know when. I need a vacation from this horror “vacation,” but Cancun is wonderful otherwise.
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2016, 07:11 AM,
RE: To all my opponents and allies
Hoping for a speedy recovery Eric.
10-26-2016, 04:38 AM,
I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. Wink
10-26-2016, 04:52 AM,
(10-23-2016, 07:11 AM)todk Wrote: Hoping for a speedy recovery Eric.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  Sorry I haven't got back to you with the start of our next game.  Renovation of my rental property took much longer than expected, finished now with new renters living there.  Then my mom arrived and we went to Cancun, you know the rest of that story.  Now I'm in Germany and it looks like I'll be here, or somewhere in Europe for at least 2 weeks.  I'll get back to you after I get back home.

It looks like our last game never got posted, it was the draw and I'll post that as soon as I get back home to my notes.
10-26-2016, 05:04 AM,
(10-26-2016, 04:38 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery. Wink

Many thanks, she has made a very speedy and successful recovery.  It turns out that the Mexican hospital and doctors did all the right things, very professional and effective treatment.  Costs, in spite of how high they seem to me, were actually normal, would have been higher here and even higher in the US.

(I don't use smileys and know I may have offended you in the past by misunderstandings through joking without smileys after having too many drinks in past, but you were always a gentleman and I'm confident in your forgiveness for those times.)