• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Special Markers Visual Enhancements
09-21-2016, 01:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2021, 06:20 AM by Gris.)
Special Markers Visual Enhancements
26 Nov 21 - Corrected the folder structure of Kursk and Normandy Mods to match the new folder structure of WDS 4.0 for PB. The map graphics are now called in the Map\Russia folder for Kursk and in Map\Europe folder for Normandy. Both files are JSGME compatible.

21 Nov 18 - Added symbols for PB North Afrika

17 Nov 17 - Updated Normandy symbols with new shallow mines and beach obstacles.

26 Apr 17 - Updated with new symbol skulls and colors. Added Demo Symbols

I created this for us gamers who are getting to old to pull OP (Observation Post) duty on the line anymore. So if your eagle eye isn't so eagle like it used to be, this may be for you. 

Full credit to Pinetree and his excellent Minefield mod which is where I got the idea from (w/permission). Thank you Pinetree!

I took Pinetree's minefield mod a step further to enhanced the specials that populate the map and made them easier to see.

Note: This is not meant in any way to appear tactical. It is a visual enhancement to aid the players in seeing the markers on the map.

1. Back up the 2DSymbols100.bmp in the Map directory of your game to another safe location. 

2. Extract the zips to the game directory (make a folder called specials or MODS) and copy the 2dsymbols100.bmp file with the symbols .bmp of your choosing.

Note: You can also use it in JSGME. Just extract the zip into the MOD folder and you will see the four folders configurations for each game, four for Kursk & four for Normandy. You can only enable one at a time in each respective game.

Note: The Demo file is larger due to the fact there are 5 map folders in the demo making for 20 bitmap files in total. If you use JSGME, I set it up for each file to swap automatically if you unzip to your mod folder. Otherwise you will have to backup the files in the demo, then unzip the bmp to the map folder (which will take care of the other four at the same time). The BMP is the same for each of the 5 as far as I can tell. 

The are four configurations in total for each game.

Here is a JPeg of the 2DSymbols100 with gray symbols.

[Image: Gray%20Symbols%20Sample.jpg]

2DSymbols100 with gray skull symbols.

[Image: Gray%20Skull%20Symbols%20Sample.jpg]

2DSymbols100 with red symbols.

[Image: Red%20Symbols%20Sample.jpg]

2DSymbols100 with red skull symbols.

[Image: Red%20Skull%20Symbols%20Sample.jpg]

Red skull symbol snapshot

[Image: Skull%20Snapshot.jpg]

Shallows mines and obstacles.

[Image: Teller%20Mines.jpg]

All comments and questions welcome.

Thanks to Budd, Pepe Botijo, and Compass for the suggestions.

Hope this helps. See you on the Battlefield!

Attached Files
.zip   Demo Symbols.zip (Size: 1.2 MB / Downloads: 33)
.zip   North Afrika Symbols.zip (Size: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 22)
.zip   Normandy Symbols.zip (Size: 251.93 KB / Downloads: 9)
.zip   Kursk Symbols.zip (Size: 253.9 KB / Downloads: 7)
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2016, 09:27 AM,
RE: Special Markers Visual Enhancements
Thanks for sharing with us!
09-21-2016, 09:36 AM,
(09-21-2016, 09:27 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Thanks for sharing with us!
Your welcome!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-13-2016, 01:07 PM,
(09-21-2016, 01:51 AM)Gris Wrote: 12 Nov 16 - Updated for Panzer Battles Patch 1.02
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
04-25-2017, 03:38 AM,
Nice mod, thanks. One thing about the Kursk symbols, in the download the symbols for broken and disrupted aren't whats shown above. There's just a "B" and a "D" without the lines.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde
04-25-2017, 03:42 AM,
(04-25-2017, 03:38 AM)budd Wrote: Nice mod, thanks. One thing about the Kursk symbols, in the download the symbols for broken and disrupted aren't whats shown above. There's just a "B" and a "D" without the lines.

Good catch, I will update and get it posted!
04-25-2017, 08:00 AM,
Very intuitive mod!

What do you think about more distinguishable colors for improved/trench/bunker hexes? Unit counters make them indistinguishable. Perhaps yellow/orange/red?
04-25-2017, 10:33 AM,
(04-25-2017, 08:00 AM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: Very intuitive mod!

What do you think about more distinguishable colors for improved/trench/bunker hexes?  Unit counters make them indistinguishable. Perhaps yellow/orange/red?

Pepe Botijo,

Thank you for the compliment, Pinetree was the originator and I thought it was awesome and ran it out a bit farther.

Actually a great Idea. I can do two different bitmaps, one with the grays and one with y/o/r. I will try and do it this week and post it with the others. 

Thank you for the suggestion!
04-25-2017, 11:59 AM,
Here is a dry run, I have trouble seeing orange/red, so I can't tell. Give it a shot and if you like it, I will add it to the mod zip.

Attached Files
.zip   YOR Mines Test.zip (Size: 119.16 KB / Downloads: 4)
04-25-2017, 07:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM by Pepe Botijo.)
Gris,

Its awesome! I can see it very clear even when the counters are on. Thank you so much!

Another suggestion: Could it be possible some kind of skull or symbol inside the mines hexes? ie green skull for MinesX1; yellow for MinesX2 and red for MinesX3. In this way we could distinguish them better from obstacles and improved/trench/bunkers.