• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AI
07-14-2016, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM by Ekaton.)
AI
First post here. Unfortunately at the time I don't have a timetable that's stable enough to play multiplayer games and I resolve to playing vs the AI now and then (I know....), and so far, well, it is not a particularly enjoyable experience.

I started with Squad Battles FWW and it wasn't really that bad as it is quite static. Then I moved to see how the AI would do in John Tiller's East Prussia '14 and so far the AI is horrible. It stacks 4 infantry units in one hex, rarely concentrates fire enough to disrupt my forces and rarely does anything really, besides being static.

I tried a more defensive approach to lure the Russians into attacking my positions with superior firepower and managed to shatter them in three spots, but largely to them being static. The Russians simply stood there under fire, even though they seem to be having forces in the rear (playing with FoW so can't know for sure). The most logical thing to do under those circumstances would be to simply retreat and avoid my overwhelming artillery/MG combo, but the Russians never seem to be retreating unless they are broken. Even their recon cavalry stays close enough to my MGs to get shot. They don't move for hours, just allow me to shoot them. The rest of the front just stays still with one hex gap between the lines so the infantry can't shoot at each other.

But the dumbest thing that the AI did was to stack 4 infantry units and move towards my lines, perhaps to assault me, I don't know, because they were all disrupted before they could do anything, and just stood there until I broke them all with total of 4 gun units and 2 MGs.

Now, I know that playing against the AI is far from ideal, but it is all I can do right now, and propably for at least some time - I don't want anybody to be waiting days for a reply because I can't get to my PC. Is there anything I can do to make playing against AI more enjoyable? Setting advantage to a different level perhaps? I don't really demand that much - just for the AI not to do really dumb things as stacking 4 units in one hex.

EDIT: Quite notably, the losses ratio right now is 3:1 in my favour. I even managed to isolate 2 units and destroy them easily. In this one skirmish the loss ratio was 30:1100.
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2016, 09:54 AM,
RE: AI
[quote pid='413543' dateline='1468448036']
"Is there anything I can do to make playing against AI more enjoyable? Setting advantage to a different level perhaps?"
[/quote]
I would try situations where the AI plays D and you attack. Also, short scenarios where the AI doesn't have to move too much (or not at all) and you do the maneuvering. Jonny Big Grin
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM,
I would take a different approach and play hot-seat vs yourself in a campaign game. The maps are so big, and there are so many units, you actually can't remember everything you did while playing the other side! Plus, this way you're guaranteed a win, one way or the other!

I've played three games like this and found them generally enjoyable, if not perfect. The AI simply can't cope at all with larger scenarios. Try it, see if you like it.
07-14-2016, 08:12 PM,
Gents:  Smoke7

Two suggestions.

(1.) Set the advantage to the AI and have HAL play as the defender. Ideally, select a scenario with the majority of units that start second (defender) are setup as "static."

(2.) Play against a human opponent (PBeM). State up front, when looking for an opponent, what will be your anticipated turn exchange rate and have potential opponents make the decision to play you or not?  Idea2

It's really a shame to play against the AI when a HtH match is so much more enjoyable!  Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-14-2016, 09:37 PM,
Thanks for your suggestions.

@76mm - I tried that and while I don't remember where I've put every single unit on the map, I still know the other side's strategy too well for it to be challenging in any way. ;)

@Kool Kat:

(1) - I tried that and while it can be better, it doesn't help HAL stacking units and letting me disrupt all enemy units and there's not a single retreat, so it is a real meat grinder.

(2) - Guess I'll try that. I just didn't want to waste anyone's time if they'd have to wait a few days for me to get to PC and resolve a turn.
07-14-2016, 11:46 PM,
(07-14-2016, 09:37 PM)Ekaton Wrote: Thanks for your suggestions.

@Kool Kat:

(2) - Guess I'll try that. I just didn't want to waste anyone's time if they'd have to wait a few days for me to get to PC and resolve a turn.

Gent: Smoke7

Why not try a human opponent PBeM game?

In your Blitz player profile section, you can designate your preferred email turn exchange rate:

Standard: (1-2 turns per week)
Advanced: (3-5 turns per week)
Dedicated: (6+ turns per week)

Ensure that your email turn exchange rate is set to "Standard" and highlight your preferences in your "Opponent wanted" posts and mention it again when you first exchange emails with a potential opponent. That way, neither one of you will be "surprised" with a "Standard" email turn exchange... and you will not feel guilty about making your opponent wait a few days to receive your turn!   Smile 

All the best... and I hope you go with the human opponent option!  Wink
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email