• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Variable Visibility issue?
07-09-2016, 08:26 AM,
Help  Variable Visibility issue?
From the manual :
Variable Visibility – During the course of a scenario where the visibility is set by the scenario designer, the computer performs a random check at the beginning of each player one turn to determine if the visibility will change. If it does change, it will increase or decrease by one hex based on the designers chosen visibility setting. At night, maximum visibility still varies, but darkness (how far the unaided eye can see) will increase, decrease, or stay the same. All of these changes reflect the weather, cloud cover, and other random sighting factors that occur on the battlefield. To determine the current maximum visibility, check the status menu under scenario information or press the keyboard shortcut U to access the Unit Menu; there, current turn visibility is listed.

It is my understanding that BOTH players will then use the same random generated visibility factor for that turn.
Is this Correct?

I'm playtesting my scenario, Other player chose VV option, turn 5, Vis for scenario is 3, set for turns 3-5 I am player 2,  I watch replay, he has VIS 4, and I watch him shoot some units up. no biggie, I start my turn and VIS is 3 for me and I can't see the units he shot me with now. So what's up with that?
 BUG?

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2016, 10:09 PM,
RE: Variable Visibility issue?
That is the exact issue and reason I do not like or use variable visibility. Whistle
Happened to me once. That was enough.
It brought new meaning to "shoot and scoot" and then disappear. What I'd Miss

Works as intended. Not for me. Sweep

HSL
07-10-2016, 12:05 AM,
(07-09-2016, 10:09 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: That is the exact issue and reason I do not like or use variable visibility. Whistle
Happened to me once. That was enough.
It brought new meaning to "shoot and scoot" and then disappear. What I'd Miss

Works as intended. Not for me. Sweep

HSL

Wait.. So you're saying it's working as intended, when both players are having a LOS check on their turn?
That's not what the manual says, it says only 1 check per turn, on player 1's turn, which would lead one to  understand that both players will experience the SAME VIS factor for that entire turn.

Any thing other than that, means it's not working as stated and is broken or BUGGED.

I will have to put in my scenario description not to use it, and just ensure none of my OPPs set up any PBEM game with it on when playing me.

Thanks for replying Ed

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
07-10-2016, 12:48 AM,
Yup! Maybe one of the "team" can explain it better? Idea2

My experience with it had been that the visibility changes with each players 1st turn. Hamster Wheel
When I mentioned it when it first happened I got the same, "it is an option" and "you don't have to use it".
No regard for it being designed into a scenario or if my opponent chose it.
Just one of those annoying add-ons (chrome) that the "team" thinks is great?
I guess I play in a bubble? Bubbles

Farmer

HSL
07-10-2016, 01:09 AM,
(07-10-2016, 12:48 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Yup! Maybe one of the "team" can explain it better? Idea2

My experience with it had been that the visibility changes with each players 1st turn. Hamster Wheel
When I mentioned it when it first happened I got the same, "it is an option" and "you don't have to use it".
No regard for it being designed into a scenario or if my opponent chose it.
Just one of those annoying add-ons (chrome) that the "team" thinks is great?
I guess I play in a bubble? Bubbles

Farmer

HSL

Don't have an issue if it changes on player one's turn and BOTH players use the same LOS for that turn..

However, my issue is, right now it's giving both players 2 different LOS on their play for the same turn and that's  wrong. If player 1 gets  4LOS, well then player 2 should get 4LOS as well, for that turn.
Then it can change again for the next turn, as long as BOTH players get the same #LOS for that turn.

Ok with that for the variety fix some people need, not ok with both players getting a different #LOS on their play of the same turn.

Europe is not Maryland, where you wait 10 minutes and the weather will change...
07-10-2016, 05:57 AM,
It's six minutes in CS! Wink

Farmer

HSL
07-10-2016, 08:55 AM,
It's six minutes in PA as well, right Ed?!!!!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
07-10-2016, 09:39 AM,
We talkin' rain and not rain? Helmet Wink

HSL
07-10-2016, 09:42 PM,
VV in JTCS is broken, unfortunately, at least with PBEM. As you guys have noted it changes per player turn and not per game turn as it should.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
07-10-2016, 09:44 PM,
(07-10-2016, 09:42 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: VV in JTCS is broken, unfortunately, at least with PBEM. As you guys have noted it changes per player turn and not per game turn as it should.

Thanks for the verification!

HSL