• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WF scenario
07-07-2016, 05:01 AM,
Feedback Needed  WF scenario
I've taken on a challenge to make a huge WF hypothetical battle between the US/UK and USSR/German.
Taking place in June '45  8+ corps moved onto on the map in 50 turns or less
well, there's a lot of crap on the map pretty quickly, NOT for the casual gamer as you will be overwhelmed
looks good for a 2x2 or  4x4 team, 1x1 will be challenging!
150 turns long for now, paras, some night and day turns, rail use, lots of armor, TDs, troops, artillery... etc 
Scenario header and description area not completed as it needs played for VP levels and smoothed over.

Tossing it out here for anyone who might be itchin for a looky

Attached Files
.zip   Bridgesv1.0.zip (Size: 326.33 KB / Downloads: 60)
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 06:36 AM,
RE: WF scenario
Dang Randy!!! Looks real good, and you even have Allied Bulgarians in it, I love it already, Minor countrys rock!!

Keep at it, would like to see this one for sure!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
07-07-2016, 05:54 PM,
(07-07-2016, 05:01 AM)RedDevil Wrote: I've taken on a challenge to make a huge WF hypothetical battle between the US/UK and USSR/German.
well, there's a lot of crap on the map pretty quickly, NOT for the casual gamer as you will be overwhelmed
150 turns long for now, paras, some night and day turns, rail use, lots of armor, TDs, troops, artillery... etc 
Scenario header and description area not completed as it needs played for VP levels and smoothed over.

Randy worked his butt off on this one.  He should be proud of it and my hope is that this scenario will bring many hours of fantastic digital battles.  I'm up for a shot at it if anyone is interested.  Congrats Randy.

ScoutOut
07-07-2016, 07:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 09:27 PM by zap.)
(07-07-2016, 05:01 AM)RedDevil Wrote: I've taken on a challenge to make a huge WF hypothetical battle between the US/UK and USSR/German.

I might be interested though I have these observations/questions since your effort has been inspired by NO Mans Land 5.

1. you need to give a plausible storyline as to why a German /Russian alliance, in your scenario notes. That would help make it more believable. Because there would have to be a really good reason for that to happen.

2. I see you eliminated the (on board)allied bombers that's good. But the allied scout planes were impossible to down and the axis scout planes were very easy to eliminate.

3.Have you increased the Russian artillery? They had many pieces available but in NML5 it was seriously lacking.

4. Russians lacked transport, have you added some? It was very burdensome moving Russian infantry on foot from far back on the map to have them in for battle. Russians were very impotent in the NML5 scenario. I thought late war they had improved firepower.

5. It would be interesting to see how you balanced out the sides . The NML5 scenario that inspired you was heavily in allies favor.

Since I have played the 150 turn NML5 several times I just need a little more info before I invest my time in this one.
07-07-2016, 07:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 09:25 PM by zap.)
I took a look at what you did looks interesting.

One of the observations just looking at the map. If you want to get it to around 50 turns you may have to consider having reinforcements come in at hexes closer to center of the map. Or shorten the map. In playing the NML5 the long distance that troops have to travel eats up a lot of turns.

Anyhow, good effort. You've taken the inspiration from the NML5 scenario and created your own.
07-07-2016, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 09:07 AM by RedDevil. Edit Reason: updated issues )
(07-07-2016, 07:13 PM)zap Wrote:

I might be interested though I have these observations/questions

1.Have you given a plausible reason for the German /Russian alliance in your scenario notes? that would help. Because there would have to be a really good reason for that to happen.

2.Can I ask if you eliminated the aircraft in your version? That was really a problem in the scenario that inspired you.

3.Have you increased the Russian artillery? They had many pieces available but in the scenario that inspired you it was seriously lacking in the scenario.

4. Russians lacked transport, have you added some?

5. It would be interesting to see how you balanced this scenario. It was heavily in allies favor.

6. One suggestion was to increase Russian armor power. Introduce more Russian engineers with mine laying capabilities

Since I have played the 150 turn version several times I just need a little more info before I invest my time in this one.

Any other modifications you could share?

Zap,

answers below
1. Scenario description : After the suicide of Adolf Hitler, The German High Command reached out to the Red Bear, coaxing Stalin into believing the real enemies were in the west. The Capitalist Allied forces were taking all of Germany's resources for their own greedy needs, leaving Stalin with nothing but a wasteland of his own doing. OKH worked up a secret treaty to join forces with the Communist in hopes of retaking their homeland back from the Allies. Several surviving fighting units were reequipped, captured units were returned to duty as the combined Soviet-Germanic Union Army grew into a formidable adversary. On the march from Berlin, almost to the Elbe, when suddenly word from a security regiment reports enemy paratroopers in the area! Alarmed, the SGUA sends in their own Airborne troops and suddenly the bridges on the Elbe have become a very important objective if the Soviets and Germans wish to continue on with a longer war.

2. planes are gone except for airstrikes and recon aircraft,  4 for each side (these are tentative, I may remove in  final version update)

3. Lots more of German/ Soviet artillery, I added main army and corps artillery for all 4 corps.

4. Nobody is walking this time, except for the Paras, they flew in, but they're walking out  :)

5. There are A LOT more Soviet and German armor added in as well as AT capabilities and TD units. I was actually wondering if I needed more Allied tanks now!

6. Soviet ENG mine layers are bugged "cannot be stacked with units from other side" is error I get, I removed them from the platoons, but gave the Germans more of them. Still, since this is a ME style fight minelayers wouldn't be plentiful for either side, but there are some for use.

I added VV  1st turns are dark, then the visibility gains over several turns up to max of 20 (this is tentative as well, 15 will probably be the finalized LOS)
I added rail for both sides to use, Allied Bulgarians Rolling Eyes and Vichy French (2 lost battalions Whistle ) ride them at start
Rail is laid out nicely IMO , you cannot just go everywhere, you will have to route your trip carefully..
 Road network is also tricky for the unwary.. best to look where you're going before you find your divisions moving off the wrong way. 

I made a "Clean" map,  there are open spaces, there are some "worst damn ground" spots, and there are some river choke points, all kinds of areas to be sneaky in.

Initial turn with para drops should be interesting enough for the strategy of each player.. No spoiler here... play it to see it   TEEHEE

notes:
 I have some issues with para regiment/ brigade HQs as they cannot be foot (none avail in oob) so I just left them alone and it will be up to player for their realism. Brit airborne has jeeps, and I left them in, but don't cry if they drop into the swamp  Helmet Rolleyes.

This version posted is for testing, It is fully playable, I will compile all issues and do 1 major update - hopefully a finalized version in a few months. (sooner, if I get feedback in) I don't like to have several versions floating about  Whip

Known issues: 
The VPs are not set correctly- this is why I need it played some. I am playing it PBEM 1x1 and welcome anyone who wants to team it up for one as well.
This version has German para 120mm mortars - they can't be moved until you get transports to them (none flew in) -   they will be converted to 81mm in final.

The 6 Brit Paras that start on map in the southern area - I believe I will make them true paras and give them a scatter of 15-20 hexes, so no one knows where they will land - Very possible change in version patch. Reason: this will keep them from being known every game.
Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
07-07-2016, 09:36 PM,
Opponent Wanted  RE: WF scenario
(07-07-2016, 09:15 PM)RedDevil Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 07:13 PM)zap Wrote:

I might be interested though I have these observations/questions

1.Have you given a plausible reason for the German /Russian alliance in your scenario notes? that would help. Because there would have to be a really good reason for that to happen.

2.Can I ask if you eliminated the aircraft in your version? That was really a problem in the scenario that inspired you.

3.Have you increased the Russian artillery? They had many pieces available but in the scenario that inspired you it was seriously lacking in the scenario.

4. Russians lacked transport, have you added some?

5. It would be interesting to see how you balanced this scenario. It was heavily in allies favor.

6. One suggestion was to increase Russian armor power. Introduce more Russian engineers with mine laying capabilities

Since I have played the 150 turn version several times I just need a little more info before I invest my time in this one.

Any other modifications you could share?

Zap,

answers below
1. Scenario description :  After the suicide of Adolf Hitler, The German High Command reached out to the Red Bear, coaxing Stalin into believing the real enemies were in the west. The Capitalist Allied forces were taking all of Germany's resources for their own greedy needs, leaving Stalin with nothing but a wasteland of his own doing. OKH worked up a secret treaty to join forces with the Communist in hopes of retaking their homeland back from the Allies. Several surviving fighting units were reequipped, captured units were returned to duty as the combined Soviet-Germanic Union Army grew into a formidable adversary. On the march from Berlin, almost to the Elbe, when suddenly word from a security regiment reports enemy paratroopers in the area! Alarmed, the SGUA sends in their own Airborne troops and suddenly the bridges on the Elbe have become a very important objective if the Soviets and Germans wish to continue on with a longer war.

2. planes are gone except for airstrikes and recon aircraft,  4 for each side (these are tentative, I may remove in  final version update)

3. Lots more of German/ Soviet artillery, I added main army and corps artillery for all 4 corps.

4. Nobody is walking this time, except for the Paras, they flew in, but they're walking out  :)

5. There are A LOT more Soviet and German armor added in as well as AT capabilities and TD units. I was actually wondering if I needed more Allied tanks now!

6. Soviet ENG mine layers are bugged "cannot be stacked with units from other side" is error I get, I removed them from the platoons, but gave the Germans more of them. Still, since this is a ME style fight minelayers wouldn't be plentiful for either side, but there are some for use.

I added VV  1st turns are dark, then the visibility gains over several turns up to max of 20 (this is tentative as well, 15 will probably be the finalized LOS)
I added rail for both sides to use, Allied Bulgarians Rolling Eyes and Vichy French (2 lost battalions Whistle ) ride them at start
Rail is laid out nicely IMO , you cannot just go everywhere, you will have to route your trip carefully..
 Road network is also tricky for the unwary.. best to look where you're going before you find your divisions moving off the wrong way. 

I made a "Clean" map,  there are open spaces, there are some "worst damn ground" spots, and there are some river choke points, all kinds of areas to be sneaky in.

Initial turn with para drops should be interesting enough for the strategy of each player.. No spoiler here... play it to see it   TEEHEE

notes:
 I have some issues with para regiment/ brigade HQs as they cannot be foot (none avail in oob) so I just left them alone and it will be up to player for their realism. Brit airborne has jeeps, and I left them in, but don't cry if they drop into the swamp  Helmet Rolleyes.

This version posted is for testing, It is fully playable, I will compile all issues and do 1 major update - hopefully a finalized version in a few months. (sooner, if I get feedback in) I don't like to have several versions floating about  Whip

Known issues: 
The VPs are not set correctly- this is why I need it played some. I am playing it PBEM 1x1 and welcome anyone who wants to team it up for one as well.
This version has German para 120mm mortars - they can't be moved until you get transports to them (none flew in) -   they will be converted to 81mm in final.

Dev

I'm up for anyone wanting to test this scenario.  I look forward to playing it out to sort out the bugs.  Anyone???

ScoutsOut
07-07-2016, 09:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016, 09:59 PM by zap.)
Yes, air strikes are the best way to represent airpower. The only problem that I see are the scout planes Allied can't be downed(at least in the NML5 scenario) Axis planes are easily shot out of the sky. That will need to be tested in your scenario.
The other is (as you mentioned) scout planes may not work at all. I can just imagine a line of transport trucks or a transport train being discovered. A squad of bombers sent out and then a wiped out convoy. Game over!

The Storyline is pretty good! Believable.

Para troopers good! I liked them in NML5. It will be interesting how VV changes things.

You took out the rail guns and gun cars, which is okay. TheNML5 scenario had a smorgasbord of units one does not usually see.

Actually, I think your map is a big improvement over NML5. Rail lines (big improvement) NML5 had them going every which way.
07-08-2016, 07:46 AM,
outside Goslar is an area called Harz translated into English mountain forest

I think on the map the area is very flat

[Image: Harz_map.png]
07-08-2016, 08:02 AM,
On map:
I was just going to use local names from around my area, but I thought it would look better for the labels if they were at least Germanic. So I took a google map of modern Germany, picked the Elbe river and simply took names from the map from the left and right sides of the river, when I ran out of names, I moved eastward and just grabbed names off the map.

It's just a map I created out of the blue over 3 days, Sorry if this offends anyone.