• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F '14 Flanders campaign German reinforcements deployment issue
05-02-2016, 09:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM by burroughs.)
Help  F '14 Flanders campaign German reinforcements deployment issue
A second attempt at the campaign as the Entente, turn 38 out of 190 and already a problem again (previously my opponent vanished so that was another story ...)

Previously I didn't have it even though the campaign game reached past turn 50 as the BEF remained firmly on the defence at Le Basse sector after repelling numerous German attacks and counter attacks. On the second attempt I decided to emulate the aggressive BEF stance with the offensive Lille as it was ordered by FM French, but the Brits instead of Menin and Roulers went for Roulers, remained in the defence at Menin and stroke towards Lille in the south to clear the ridge there. It's Oct 22nd 1914, the Germans were pushed back with heavy casualties, the offensive is nearing its end with the British battalions down to half the nominal manpower and German defences stiffening. The enemy was thrown away as far as to Loos and the friendlies avant-gardes  reaching Ft.d'Englos ( 58,54).

All was well until German reinforcements started to appear isolated back at Le Basse and further east north of the impassible hexes strip which simulates the southern part of the continuous front line as it was settled in the wake of the Race to the Sea. I could have know they might be entering there form my Le Basse scenario played by the OHL, but I hope that the campaign would work in a different manner to prevent absurd outcomes since similar adjustments were introduced in other scenarios ie. Ardennes  one - at the cost of some deviation from historic truth such situations were prevented. I guess the educated guess of the makers was that the BEF should remain on the defence there, but then that assumes similar historical awareness on the part of the player - that was exactly my approach the first time, I decided to remain on the safe side.

Attached Files
.jpg   F '14 Flanders campaign issue (800x450).jpg (Size: 356.37 KB / Downloads: 39)
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 07:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: F '14 Flanders campaign German reinforcements deployment issue
Not sure what to do about that other than give the Germans larger protected areas. These units are coming up from the south where the line is fixed, and must be allowed. An allied counter attack designed to take advantage of the south map edge should not be allowed (not saying that is why you did your attack, but I have seen these things play out this way because of the map edge). Then it would be up to you to stay out of those areas.

Naturally the objective hexes wouldn't be protected, but the Allies should NOT be able to advance beyond those hexes or else you will naturally have reinforcement problems. I cannot accommodate for a huge strategic shift in the situation so in that respect, your counter offensive capability should be limited by your own desire not to end up in a situation where you have Germans arrived (protected) in your rear areas.
Send this user an email
05-03-2016, 07:48 AM,
Hmm, actually the only Germans I see that pop up in your rear is Fuesilier-Regt 40 (45,77) @ 0600 22 Oct. This unit moved up from the south where the rest of the division was located (crossing the Canal d'Aire).

I could give them a supply source there I suppose, but that is about it (unless I am misunderstanding the issue)...
Send this user an email
05-03-2016, 11:54 PM,
With all due respect - those FWWC campaign are just too great to incorporate such flaws and I find this one a major issue.

Actually I didn't consider the advantage of having the map edge in the south since there is a strip of impassable hexes neither side can do a damn thing about so it's like a river one cannot ford or cross - you need to bypass that instead of figuring out why it is there, sheer tactical logics - don't think about what you can't do about the situation, think about what you can . By the way, what is really the purpose of having that impassible area there? Apparently the Germans can cross that and deploy further north, of course not at the actual player's will, but by the scenario maker's design. This is a tricky assumption then leaving the Entente player at a disadvantage since they indeed cannot use that area. In "The Race to the Sea" the impassible hexes serve for a stabilized front line which is only open in the north as long as the race continues; here it's not since that would mean a salient where there wasn't any so it's a dubious thing in its essence.

So all it could have taken was to include a warning in the game notes where there is the part about the Flanders campaign. That would be sufficient, fair and historically justified.

However, the fact was that once FM French got himself persuaded to allow the BEF go into combat, they considered and at least partially tried to clear that ridge - generally the hight ground that runs NE towards Lille - and it's only the arrival of German reinforcements and the stiffening German resistance including counter attacks were the things that persuaded them to change their minds and go for Menin and Roulers higher up north where the reserve corps were deploying and thus the German capabilities there were believed to be diminished ( Le Basse defences were facing regular OHL infantry formations). I am not putting forward the source of the knowledge here as I own a monograph of the Flanders 1914 campaign, but it's in Polish so of a limited use. My own idea was to clear the left bank of the canal and lean the British right shoulder then once the Germans were bled white at Le Basse. At first it was only Smith-Dorriens II Corps that went on the offensive so I don't think it required moving the entire front line in the south not to leave their right southern flank open as they went.

The fact is that we know with the benefit of hindsight that by Oct 1914 at least the stage was set for the advent of positional trench warfare, but the truth is that either side at exactly that moment was still refusing to accept the impossibility of a breakthrough and outflanking manoeuvre so expecting the Entente player not to go on the offensive there because " they didn't and they shouldn't" denies the historic truth as much as Germans deploying behind the Entente lines. The BEF were reluctant and had orders not to engage themselves fully, but here it's after Mons and Le Cateau and that was exactly the 1st Battle of Ypres that saw the change in their attitude resulting in the ensuing annihilation of the Old Contemptibles in their Ypres graveyard. With al that in mind I claim the decision to go on the offensive east of Le Basse was equally justified, legitimate and allowed as not to and to enable a correct application of either approach we need a more flexible design in there. Fixing units won't make it happen since they have to finally be engaged what will unfix them so Germand need to enter their reinforcements further SE even if that defies what took place in history - not the first case in FWWC campaigns.

Having said that, with all of the volume of criticism here, let me recoil to what I have written at the very beginning - I am a huge fan of FWWC and to me its success surpasses that of PZCs and that is why I take care to blast what I dislike in there and not just to diminish anybody's achievement, person or commitment. I am thankful they exist and criticize them because I care.
05-04-2016, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016, 02:25 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, I just don't see the "flaw". Honestly, it is a lot of text explaining of why it is a "flaw", but it doesn't exactly specifically point out what this "flaw" is, in precise units and times. Then again, I admit I am skimming the text out of lack of time.

As I said, which units arrive "behind the lines"? Can you look in the editor and point point the date and time and which units? I can easily mention something in the notes about it, sure, am maybe also put some text on the map that they arrive (as I have done before) but I will not get rid of the reinforcements themselves. If I am provided specific suggestions then I will consider them.

The fact is though, the allies are attacking much further than happened historically, but the German units MUST arrive in their historical places. That said, the Fus.Regt.40 arrives unprotected so it can be blocked, so perhaps if that is the only unit in question then I can just put a note on the map stating that they are observed approaching the area at the certain time and day (as done in other scenarios).

Beyond that, if this is too easy for the allies to overrun the area, then there is a problem that needs to be adjusted to make it less easy to do. Curious, you mentioned that this is your second opponent that has quit on you, so is this something you do as a tactic each time and has had success and the opponent has given up? Or are they two different disconnected cases?
Send this user an email
05-04-2016, 06:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016, 06:46 AM by Gray Nemesis.)
(05-04-2016, 02:25 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Well, I just don't see the "flaw".  Honestly, it is a lot of text explaining of why it is a "flaw", but it doesn't exactly specifically point out what this "flaw" is, in precise units and times. Then again, I admit I am skimming the text out of lack of time.

As I said, which units arrive "behind the lines"?  Can you look in the editor and point point the date and time and which units? I can easily mention something in the notes about it, sure, am maybe also put some text on the map that they arrive (as I have done before) but I will not get rid of the reinforcements themselves. If I am provided specific suggestions then I will consider them.

The fact is though, the allies are attacking much further than happened historically, but the German units MUST arrive in their historical places.  That said, the Fus.Regt.40 arrives unprotected so it can be blocked, so perhaps if that is the only unit in question then I can just put a note on the map stating that they are observed approaching the area at the certain time and day (as done in other scenarios).

Beyond that, if this is too easy for the allies to overrun the area, then there is a problem that needs to be adjusted to make it less easy to do. Curious, you mentioned that this is your second opponent that has quit on you, so is this something you do as a tactic each time and has had success and the opponent has given up? Or are they two different disconnected cases?

It is only the Fus.Regt.40 and the HQ arrives fixed. If I had noticed they would be isolated I would not have brought them on the map.
05-04-2016, 06:46 AM,
Ed, your post is an excellent work of modern art...
05-04-2016, 06:48 AM,
(05-04-2016, 06:46 AM)jim pfleck Wrote: Ed, your post is an excellent work of modern art...

Yeah I know Jim, it was just for you my man. Propeller Hat
05-04-2016, 06:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016, 06:55 AM by Volcano Man.)
Well, I have already added a small supply source where they arrive. I have to remind everyone again that you can withdraw the unit exactly where they arrive if you don't want them. ;)

I did intentionally leave the arrival unprotected to allow the allies to block it if they sit on it, so maybe the only thing needed is a note on the map that they will arrive there (so the allies know to block them, and the Germans know to protect them)?
Send this user an email
05-04-2016, 07:19 AM,
(05-04-2016, 06:55 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Well, I have already added a small supply source where they arrive. I have to remind everyone again that you can withdraw the unit exactly where they arrive if you don't want them. ;)

I did intentionally leave the arrival unprotected to allow the allies to block it if they sit on it, so maybe the only thing needed is a note on the map that they will arrive there (so the allies know to block them, and the Germans know to protect them)?

I think that will suffice. Thanks.