• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS Ancient Warfare, questions about orders
04-30-2016, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 05:39 AM by JonasOvrum.)
Help  HPS Ancient Warfare, questions about orders
I recently started playing Diadochoi Wars and Roman Civil wars, loving the games so far, except from some small bugs here and there.

What I was wondering about is, when I give the "hold" order to my troops, they will still chase retreating enemy troops for one hex, I am NOT talking about when they are Uncontrolled, is this supposed to happen? Its very hard to keep an organized line when this happens all the time :P

Is this a bug or do i just have to follow up with the rest of my formation in order to keep them together and in some semblence of a line?

Also, when a unit is in an uncontrolled advance, I can often "steer them" by right clicking on hexes, is this intented?*Edited* Ok even if I right click on a hex when they are uncontrolled the move order will be displayed, but they will not follow it.

To use the fall back option for roman legionares and phalanx units, will it still work if they are distrupted? I have never managed to pull it off, in numerous different situasions. All i get is the "ping, you cant do that".
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2016, 01:13 PM,
RE: Ancient Warfare, question about orders
[Image: b523f0b4b198212195206.0048890001326794896.gif]
04-30-2016, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-30-2016, 01:37 PM by JonasOvrum.)
RE: Ancient Warfare, question about orders
(04-30-2016, 01:13 PM)Compass Rose Wrote: [Image: b523f0b4b198212195206.0048890001326794896.gif]

Thanks!

I like your after action reports btw!
05-03-2016, 03:10 AM,
RE: HPS Ancient Warfare, questions about orders
I have Roman Civil wars! I have see the same things! I was thinking that was my mistake! I am AW beginners!
Greetings, HaPe
05-04-2016, 10:37 AM,
(04-30-2016, 01:06 PM)JonasOvrum Wrote: I recently started playing Diadochoi Wars and Roman Civil wars, loving the games so far, except from some small bugs here and there.

What I was wondering about is, when I give the "hold" order to my troops, they will still chase retreating enemy troops for one hex, I am NOT talking about when they are Uncontrolled, is this supposed to happen? Its very hard to keep an organized line when this happens all the time :P

Is this a bug or do i just have to follow up with the rest of my formation in order to keep them together and in some semblence of a line?

Also, when a unit is in an uncontrolled advance, I can often "steer them" by right clicking on hexes, is this intented?*Edited* Ok even if I right click on a hex when they are uncontrolled the move order will be displayed, but they will not follow it.

To use the fall back option for roman legionares and phalanx units, will it still work if they are distrupted? I have never managed to pull it off, in numerous different situasions. All i get is the "ping, you cant do that".

The following has been relayed to me by Paul Bruffell.

"Hold" orders are good for stopping troops moving due to morale reactions resulting in 'Uncontrolled Advance'. However, once in the middle of a melee there is little that can be done to prevent a unit from following up a retreating enemy unit.

The game is programmed to prevent Hoplites and Phalangite units with pike or long spear from advancing into a vacated enemy hex but other units will follow up.

Units that are on a fortification wall (but not a tower) will NOT follow up when attacked. Units will not follow up in to impassable terrain. Cavalry and chariots can not follow up in to a palisade hex. Artillery units never follow up.

Uncontrolled units will not follow orders but a commander can place an order on such a unit but there is no benefit.

This is an area to improve.

Thank you for the feedback.
05-07-2016, 09:37 PM,
Thanks! Very helpful =)