• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

In praise of: H2H Muddy Waters
04-28-2016, 06:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2016, 06:06 AM by Das Morbo.)
In praise of: H2H Muddy Waters
Hello Folks!

I just finished a match in one of the first Head-to-Head Scenarios I got from here - 'H2H MUddy Waters'

I really loved to play this map.
Not only is it quite challenging, as I considered my command (as US player) to be rather weak for an attack but it also features truly outstanding landscape design!

Due to the limitations of the CMx2 engine, landscapes often tend to look rather linear and artificial and it needs some extra care to iron this out. Having meddled with the Editor myself, I blame no one for skipping this part of scenario design, as it consumes huge amounts of time.

Every designer who goes that extra mile deserves some honour - that's why I am posting this.

But see for yourself:
[Image: In%20praise%20of%20005.jpg]
Partial overall view, just have a look at the natural shape of the creek (yeah, that's my Stuart burning there).

[Image: In%20praise%20of%20012.jpg]
This one mimics the picture in the Scenario description, but I had to post it anyway.

[Image: In%20praise%20of%20015.jpg]
The bank of the creek. The way he has placed the different vegetation types is just spot-on (again my casualty... Helmet Rolleyes )

[Image: In%20praise%20of%20017.jpg]
More impressions (by now a second Stuart bit the dust, see smoke column on the left )

[Image: In%20praise%20of%20023.jpg]
Feels damn real if you ask me (still had some Stuarts to spare)

[Image: In%20praise%20of%20026.jpg]
It is quite dusty in early August near Brest...

About the battle:
It is rather toned down, as both sides start with just a fraction of their total strenght. On top of that, I consider the US Infantry to be a bit too fragile for a river crossing. But this all creates a calm but very tense atmosphere.

I think the designer (who unfortunately  hasn't mentioned his name in the briefing) earned some recognition. Helmet Smile

Hope you guys enjoyed this, and maybe I could point out some nice scenario to some of you.
Maybe I post some more of my favourite scenarios from time to time, if you like.

Cheers
Morbo
Quote this message in a reply