• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on HPS Ancient Wars Series
04-07-2016, 03:53 AM,
Question on HPS Ancient Wars Series
I'm thinking to buy one of these titles as the demo seemed fun.

Quick question though - if anyone can answer:

Are all the HPS AW games now updated to the same basic engine and do they all have the same features?

Or perhaps, were there later releases where features had been implemented but not yet back-ported to the older titles?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 01:19 AM,
RE: Question on HPS Ancient Wars Series
Paul Bruffell was having log-in problems and he asked me to post the following for you, on his behalf.

All the games in the AW series have been updated where possible.

Unfortunately the Punic Wars and Gallic Wars were based on an early engine version and can not be updated for all the features seen in the last two games - Roman Civil Wars and Diadochio Wars.

The last two offer the most features and Roman Civil Wars offers the most scenarios including a free Jerusalem Wars Expansin Pack and German Wars Expansion Pack.
04-08-2016, 03:37 AM,
Excellent information Compass - thanks to you and Paul for providing it.

It sounds like Roman Civil Wars indeed holds the best overall value at this time.

I hope Paul continues on with his work - there are some nice elements in this system that are not available in other games like FOG.

Kind regards,
Don
Send this user an email
05-03-2016, 03:24 AM,
What is the difference between wars Roman Civil and Punic Wars?
I thinkt that would be the same game engine?
(I maybe wanted to buy Punic war?)

Its look for me:
HPS is more simulation! and FOG is more a game!
Greetings, HaPe
05-04-2016, 10:32 AM,
The following has been relayed to me by Paul Bruffell.

All games in the Ancient Warfare series use the same game engine but Punic Wars and Gallic Wars are the first two and have a slightly older engine version limiting the number of options and features compared with the more recent games such as Roman Civil Wars.

Each game covers a different period in history and therefore has different units and different scenarios but the mechanics of the game are the same.

All games including Punic Wars have been updated with improvements to the same level where possible unless prevented by the limitations of the game engine.

The key difference on Punic Wars compared with later games in the AW series is the Roman Army is always in play - you can be the Roman pLayer or play against the Romans but the game does not give you the option to play any two different armies against each other.

In Greek Wars, Roman Civil Wars and Diodochoi Wars you can play any army against any other army.

If you want 2 different games, try Greek Wars and Roman Civil Wars as they have totally different units and therefore require different tactics to win a battle.
09-07-2022, 02:07 AM,
(05-03-2016, 03:24 AM)O.Schmidt Wrote: Its look for me:
HPS is more simulation! and FOG is more a game!

digging up topics but these games deserve.
I just bought Roman Civil Wars and Greek Wars and I really love it.
I totally agree with you. I have FOG2 and it is fun and easy to play but no immersion like the ancient wars series.
I only wish WDS had bought the rights to this series.
With the care WDS put into their games I would have liked to see the evolution of the Ancient Wars.
12-18-2022, 12:26 AM,
The difference between the two oldest games and the rest is not so great. The Punic wars Roman “ nation” has a lot of troop types that can be used to represent various armies. Some of the official scenarios use the Roman army to represent Phoenician or Etruscan’s vs Carthage conflicts etc.