• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sherman tank myths debunked
03-12-2016, 09:47 AM,
Sherman tank myths debunked
Found this video on UT, it is 45 minutes long but well worth the watch.  It examines the "historical" faults of the Sherman,  the myth of deadly cats, and tactical air. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNjp_4jY8pY
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2016, 06:23 AM,
RE: Sherman tank myths debunked
Thanks, enjoyed that Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-22-2016, 04:37 AM,
It was interesting, especially about how few kills the jabos really got, for tanks that is.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
03-22-2016, 04:55 AM,
It might have been Beevor's Normandy 1944, or some other book, but yes I've seen that stat mentioned somewhere else too. But as the author here mentioned as well, they pretty much annihilated any soft skinned vehicles they saw, and the tankers become utterly demoralised due the total air superiority and attacks on them.

What was new to me was how early the 76mm gun planning started, and how long it then got before the production truly started. Funny comment about the good rep the Fireflys got in Normandy too. "They were considered so good only because there was nothing else there, at the time". Ha.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-22-2016, 11:13 AM,
I have watched quite a few of his tank videos too, he is pretty good.

"Every tank was a tiger in Normandy".
03-22-2016, 01:00 PM,
Enjoyed his lecture quite a bit, very informative. So I knew, but there was plenty that was new, and a different perspective on things. Thanks for sharing it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-03-2016, 02:00 AM,
Good stuff...  Enjoyed watching it..

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
05-10-2016, 11:42 PM,
That guy's a great speaker. Thought I'd watch a few minutes of it and stayed for the whole thing. Nice post, thanks!

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
05-11-2016, 10:05 AM,
His "inside the tanks" are pretty good too.

Glad you liked it.
03-29-2018, 11:37 AM,
I had read the US army paper on burning tanks and they had found in '44 that MkIVs burned just as easily and as badly as Shermans.
A free press allows warts to be seen, Britain, and especially Germany, had a much less free press at the time so their warts were more hidden.