• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is Tank Spotting TOTALLY bugged?
02-22-2016, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 11:00 PM by Volksgrenadier.)
Is Tank Spotting TOTALLY bugged?
I know that trees can be problematic. But somehow I never before noticed that spotting is so off in the open, too:

.jpg   CMRT spotting WTF.jpg (Size: 120.44 KB / Downloads: 12)

Realistic tank tactics involve meticulous hulldown positioning. But how is the player supposed to position his tanks, with infos given to the player and ingame graphics being so different? How much more must a tank be exposed until it is recognized as NOT hulldown?

Is that known? If yes, how do others cope with that?

I am close to stop playing CMx2 immediately.
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2016, 02:17 AM,
RE: Is Tank Spotting TOTALLY bugged?
? I am not sure what you are saying here.

Are all these taken from the same point - the POV of the targeting tank?

If so then I do not see the problem. The message on the target tool says that the spotter is partially hull down it is not commenting on the disposition of any vehicle at the target point.

If not then I still don't under stand what you are saying - sorry.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
02-23-2016, 02:38 AM,
Good point. I wasn't clear. I mean the T34's "reverse slope no aim point" indication. Doesn't "no aim point" at least imply partial hulldown, if the ground of the tank cannot be aimed at?
02-24-2016, 12:52 AM,
Honestly I do not know at what point the partial hull down tag appears vs just reverse slope. There is some threshold because I have seen many times just the reverse slope indication and other times both. Sorry for no answer I have never seen anyone from BFC comment on where that threshold is.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
02-24-2016, 02:23 AM,
Because you don't know that, there is no problem?
02-24-2016, 03:52 AM,
Because you don't know that, there is a problem?
02-24-2016, 04:16 AM,
Didn't you look at the picture?
02-24-2016, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2016, 04:59 AM by Volksgrenadier.)
Here's another frustrating example:

[Image: CMRT%20spotting%20WTF2.jpg]

"Reverse Slope"?

And as minor problem: my tank was sitting there around 10 minutes with a narrow vehicle cover arc and couldn't get a spot on that tank in the open; although it had received contact markers prior (which even should help spotting).

Yes, trees are fully switched on.
02-25-2016, 01:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016, 01:30 AM by A Canadian Cat.)
(02-24-2016, 04:16 AM)Volksgrenadier Wrote: Didn't you look at the picture?
Snark ignored - moving on...

(02-24-2016, 04:57 AM)Volksgrenadier Wrote: Here's another frustrating example:

"Reverse Slope"?

And as minor problem: my tank was sitting there around 10 minutes with a narrow vehicle cover arc and couldn't get a spot on that tank in the open; although it had received contact markers prior (which even should help spotting).

Yes, trees are fully switched on.

OK that does seem frustrating that it took so long to spot the enemy.  

Just a couple of notes:
1) a narrow cover arc will not help with spotting.  All cover arcs do is tell the unit where they are allowed to engage the enemy.  
2) the message on the target tool is explainable: the enemy vehicle is in a reverse slope position which means at least its wheels are below an obstruction between your tank and the enemy and your tank is partial hull down probably because of the same obstruction.

I am not sure how much of the enemy tank yours can see from its position.  I take it this is from the same game files that you shared with me earlier.  Which I will get to eventually but I am pretty busy and will only get there once I have my work for [REDACTED] sorted and get fully caught up on my PBEM games.  Honestly it could easily by a month before I do.
02-25-2016, 01:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016, 01:57 AM by Volksgrenadier.)
No my tank never spotted the tank. I had to move it.

The screenshot was taken from the tank's position at gun height and there is nothing displayed in between, as the picture shows.

You seem to be quick in asking for things but then lame in delivering, eh?