• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Storm in the East - Round 4
01-29-2016, 11:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM by Tripps.)
RE: Storm in the East - Round 4
(01-29-2016, 09:23 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: How many CMX2 games have you played? vs CMX1?

I have already said in post #11, but I will clarify for you:

Roughly 10 games of X2 PBEM (RT), and a few of the single player/campaign maps just casually, maybe 4-6 of BN 18-24 months ago.

I say casually because my playing style is different in PBEM/Competitive, I usually review each and every unit in PBEM, so watching the video takes me a long time, whereas single player/campaign I am very much more casual.

CMx1, hundreds of games - im trying to find the old gamesquad ladder, I was always at the top of it somewhere..
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2016, 03:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM by Panzer Lehr.)
I have played many hundreds of CMx2 and even more CMx1 games going back 15 years.  Just keeps getting better a far as I'm concerned. My impression is that Battlefront is small operation and I am so grateful that I can take obsession of the Avalon Hill and Squad Leader games to the next level thanks to those guys.  Not saying there aren't bugs, there were bugs in the CMx1 too ... oh ... I get teleporting dudes ... guys that go grey and I can't issue orders to anymore ... tanks that spot other tanks but don't fire ... all sort of crazy buggy stuff ... but I work around it.  I have seen much improvement since the first release of CMBN.  I doubt that they will stop improving. Happy gaming Helmet Smile
To The LAST Man, with the LAST round ... We FIGHT!!![Image: CM.png]
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." ~ Napoleon
01-30-2016, 06:49 AM,
(01-29-2016, 08:20 AM)Tripps Wrote: from what GAZNZ has told me about BS, the spotting rules there appear to be different, but i'll let him explain that

Humm not sure what that could be.  No actually I'll say it more definitively "no they are not different the two engines are the same".  It is true that CMBS has had a few more bug fixes (which CMRT will get) but I am not aware of any major changes regarding spotting.

Now there is a difference in unit capabilities between CMRT and CMBS - to name a few: infantry in BS often have night vision sights and or googles, some tanks have lazer detectors, most tanks have thermal sights etc).  But those are not the same as a difference in spotting rules on that count the two games are virtually the same and at some point will be identical from an engine point of view.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
01-30-2016, 08:28 AM,
(01-29-2016, 11:01 AM)Tripps Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 09:23 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: How many CMX2 games have you played? vs CMX1?

Roughly 10 games of X2 PBEM (RT), and a few of the single player/campaign maps just casually, maybe 4-6 of BN 18-24 months ago.

I say casually because my playing style is different in PBEM/Competitive, I usually review each and every unit in PBEM, so watching the video takes me a long time, whereas single player/campaign I am very much more casual.

CMx1, hundreds of games - im trying to find the old gamesquad ladder, I was always at the top of it somewhere..

Sounds like very similar complaints when CMSF first came out, people could not get used to the vast, dramatic,changes from CMX1 to CMX2.I struggled with the change early on.But Im glad I hung in there, because the gaming experiences in CMX2 have been far better, realistic,detailed and challenging then CMX1,and I loved CMX1 but could never go back.If you go into CMX2 with a CMX1 mindset, your going to have issues.
01-31-2016, 12:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2016, 02:44 AM by Panzer Lehr.)
(01-30-2016, 08:28 AM)weapon2010 Wrote:

Sounds like very similar complaints when CMSF first came out, people could not get used to the vast, dramatic,changes from CMX1 to CMX2.I struggled with the change early on.But Im glad I hung in there, because the gaming experiences in CMX2 have been far better, realistic,detailed and challenging then CMX1,and I loved CMX1 but could never go back.If you go into CMX2 with a CMX1 mindset, your going to have issues.

"The gaming experiences in CMX2 have been far better, realistic, detailed and challenging then CMX1, and I loved CMX1 but could never go back"  
Hear-Hear ... well said Weapon2010!! Cheers6 !!
01-31-2016, 07:34 AM,
(01-30-2016, 08:28 AM)weapon2010 Wrote:

So we have different enjoyment levels in the game, I get that, we are different people, but please dont imply your opinion is somehow correct  - especially when you havnt even had the decency to address just a couple of the issues I have listed - at your request I might add.
01-31-2016, 07:39 AM,
(01-29-2016, 03:11 PM)Panzer Lehr Wrote: I have played many hundreds of CMx2 and even more CMx1 games going back 15 years.  Just keeps getting better a far as I'm concerned. My impression is that Battlefront is small operation and I am so grateful that I can take obsession of the Avalon Hill and Squad Leader games to the next level thanks to those guys.  Not saying there aren't bugs, there were bugs in the CMx1 too ... oh ... I get teleporting dudes ... guys that go grey and I can't issue orders to anymore ... tanks that spot other tanks but don't fire ... all sort of crazy buggy stuff ... but I work around it.  I have seen much improvement since the first release of CMBN.  I doubt that they will stop improving. Happy gaming Helmet Smile

Im not saying Cmx1 was perfect either, and "Getting better" is the whole point of my original post in this forum, until it gets to the point where I am happy, i wont be playing - its probably not far away, we'll have to wait and see I guess
01-31-2016, 07:45 AM,
(01-30-2016, 06:49 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 08:20 AM)Tripps Wrote: from what GAZNZ has told me about BS, the spotting rules there appear to be different, but i'll let him explain that

Humm not sure what that could be.  No actually I'll say it more definitively "no they are not different the two engines are the same".  It is true that CMBS has had a few more bug fixes (which CMRT will get) but I am not aware of any major changes regarding spotting.

Now there is a difference in unit capabilities between CMRT and CMBS - to name a few: infantry in BS often have night vision sights and or googles, some tanks have lazer detectors, most tanks have thermal sights etc).  But those are not the same as a difference in spotting rules on that count the two games are virtually the same and at some point will be identical from an engine point of view.

That is my impression as well, might be the same engine, but with different variables and patches applied to it, but i dont play it, or BN, so i cant really comment - unlike RT, where I feel i have played enough and had enough experiences to limit my enjoyment - and thats all it is really, im not here to bag anyone personally or even battlefront, i love their games, but i feel this one needs a little more work, but you cant say that can you? You can say you know what, i'll hold off until it meets the level where im happy with it, without getting directly or indirectly made to feel you dont know what you are talking about, or you must be wrong, and thats just plain stinks IMO
01-31-2016, 04:28 PM,
(01-31-2016, 07:39 AM)Tripps Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 03:11 PM)Panzer Lehr Wrote: I have played many hundreds of CMx2 and even more CMx1 games going back 15 years.  Just keeps getting better a far as I'm concerned. My impression is that Battlefront is small operation and I am so grateful that I can take obsession of the Avalon Hill and Squad Leader games to the next level thanks to those guys.  Not saying there aren't bugs, there were bugs in the CMx1 too ... oh ... I get teleporting dudes ... guys that go grey and I can't issue orders to anymore ... tanks that spot other tanks but don't fire ... all sort of crazy buggy stuff ... but I work around it.  I have seen much improvement since the first release of CMBN.  I doubt that they will stop improving. Happy gaming Helmet Smile

Im not saying Cmx1 was perfect either, and "Getting better" is the whole point of my original post in this forum, until it gets to the point where I am happy, i wont be playing - its probably not far away, we'll have to wait and see I guess
Cool Tripps, I can respect that ... hope to see you back on the field of battle again soon  Helmet Smile PL
02-02-2016, 08:15 AM,
(01-28-2016, 01:00 AM)weapon2010 Wrote: emailed and messaged meerkat 4 times, no response

still no reply from meerkat