• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Death Road at Oltarzew
01-20-2016, 01:26 PM,
Death Road at Oltarzew
CS brethren,

I'm a big believer that JTCS' survival depends on more user input and especially more custom scenarios, designed with PBEM in mind. Ergo, my first scenario, Death Road at Oltarzew, has been added to the H2H queue. Here's the description:

[Oltarzew, 15 km W of Warsaw]: [H2H] [HISB] [TS/GD]: By September 8th, 1939, the lead elements of the 4th Panzer Division, to which the motorized infantry of the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hilter (LSSAH) were subordinated, had reached the southwestern outskirts of Warsaw. The advance unit of 4th Panzer Division, Aufklärungsabteilung 7 (AA7), proceeded toward Oltarzew and Domaniew but quickly found itself in a defensive struggle against increasingly strong counterattacks from Polish units attempting to break through to Warsaw from the west. After repulsing a number of attacks and destroying several armored trains, the recon battalion ran low on ammunition and was forced to withdraw southward into Pruskow, leaving open the left flank and rear of its parent division, now facing Warsaw. As the troopers of the Leibstandarte arrived at nightfall, they and AA7 were ordered to capture Domaniew, Oltarzew and Kaputy, thus securing the open rear flank of Reinhardt's 4th Panzer Division. In the middle of the night, the troops of the LSSAH and AA7 collided near Oltarzew with Polish troops of Army Lodz moving east and desperate to effect a link-up with the defenders of Warsaw. The action quickly became a confused, bitterly-contested melee, as the Polish soldiers bravely threw themselves headlong at the Germans. By morning, Polish resistance had collapsed, leaving the road through Oltarzew choked with dead and dying soldiers, civilians and horses. The grisly result of the night's action would leave a lasting impression on even the most hardened: after the war, In his memoirs, Kurt Meyer of the LSSAH described the scene as a, "death road". [Night scenario; not for play with Variable Visibility or Extreme Assault on, Armor Facing optional] [This scenario borrows the excellent map from Charlie Kibler's original "A Bump in the Night"; OOBs for LSSAH and AA 7 are correct, Polish OOB is speculative, but based on units of Army Lodz which might have been retreating through the Oltarzew area at that time; this is version 2.1]

Would love to get folks playing and testing the scenario. I'm available for questions and comments. Please don't sugarcoat things. It doesn't mean I'll necessarily agree, but I'd prefer to hear unvarnished truth, whether you like the scenario, or hate it. As it mentions in the description, the scenario borrows the map from the stock scenario "Bump in the Night", but the OOBs are significantly different (more historically accurate on the German side), as is the scenario, i.e. victory conditions, objective hexes, etc.

Enjoy!
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2016, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016, 03:51 PM by zap.)
RE: Death Road at Oltarzew
Okay I have not been involved helping out for an h2h, in a while. I'm up to test and give feedback
01-20-2016, 09:45 PM,
I'm glad that someone has remade the classic and fixed it's issues. It was one of the night scenarios that I played early and turned me off to playing any night scenarios. Lighting2
As for your comment about the longevity of the series, I hope the dev team is listening. Whistle

Farmer

HSL
01-21-2016, 01:56 AM,
(01-20-2016, 01:26 PM)Schwerpunkt75 Wrote: CS brethren,

I'm a big believer that JTCS' survival depends on more user input and especially more custom scenarios, designed with PBEM in mind. Ergo, my first scenario, Death Road at Oltarzew, has been added to the H2H queue. Here's the description:

[Oltarzew, 15 km W of Warsaw]: [H2H] [HISB] [TS/GD]: By September 8th, 1939, the lead elements of the 4th Panzer Division, to which the motorized infantry of the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hilter (LSSAH) were subordinated, had reached the southwestern outskirts of Warsaw. The advance unit of 4th Panzer Division, Aufklärungsabteilung 7 (AA7), proceeded toward Oltarzew and Domaniew but quickly found itself in a defensive struggle against increasingly strong counterattacks from Polish units attempting to break through to Warsaw from the west. After repulsing a number of attacks and destroying several armored trains, the recon battalion ran low on ammunition and was forced to withdraw southward into Pruskow, leaving open the left flank and rear of its parent division, now facing Warsaw. As the troopers of the Leibstandarte arrived at nightfall, they and AA7 were ordered to capture Domaniew, Oltarzew and Kaputy, thus securing the open rear flank of Reinhardt's 4th Panzer Division. In the middle of the night, the troops of the LSSAH and AA7 collided near Oltarzew with Polish troops of Army Lodz moving east and desperate to effect a link-up with the defenders of Warsaw. The action quickly became a confused, bitterly-contested melee, as the Polish soldiers bravely threw themselves headlong at the Germans. By morning, Polish resistance had collapsed, leaving the road through Oltarzew choked with dead and dying soldiers, civilians and horses. The grisly result of the night's action would leave a lasting impression on even the most hardened: after the war, In his memoirs, Kurt Meyer of the LSSAH described the scene as a, "death road". [Night scenario; not for play with Variable Visibility or Extreme Assault on, Armor Facing optional] [This scenario borrows the excellent map from Charlie Kibler's original "A Bump in the Night"; OOBs for LSSAH and AA 7 are correct, Polish OOB is speculative, but based on units of Army Lodz which might have been retreating through the Oltarzew area at that time; this is version 2.1]

Would love to get folks playing and testing the scenario. I'm available for questions and comments. Please don't sugarcoat things. It doesn't mean I'll necessarily agree, but I'd prefer to hear unvarnished truth, whether you like the scenario, or hate it. As it mentions in the description, the scenario borrows the map from the stock scenario "Bump in the Night", but the OOBs are significantly different (more historically accurate on the German side), as is the scenario, i.e. victory conditions, objective hexes, etc.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the new scenario, Schwerpunkt75! 

An early war scenario, can't have too many of them  Helmet Smile

Also thanks Zap for volunteering to test this game. Anyone else? Preferrably at least four playtesters to have the required number of positive test results for that precious H2H ranking. This is a SM=3 modifier, so 30 ladder points available from testing this out!
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-21-2016, 01:42 PM,
Dale Wagoner helped me test the beta version, this is his comment from the H2H thread:
I played this scenario with Alex as part of his beta effort.
It is based on stock scenario Bump in the Night.
Alex has modified the objectives, and added game turns to this one as well as adding starshells for the night engagement, and removing mine-fields.
I find this an improvement on the original stock game, and it also has a better playability due to the improvements made within the night rules formats.
Should be a good meet and greet engagement, or the Polish player can head for exit hexes.
Different strategies to be employed, which adds nice complexity.
I protected the exit hexes as the German, and Alex held to the objectives, which gave him an early advantage in our battle.
If I had concentrated (read Alex's mind perhaps) ;), I would have had the advantage early.
We fought to the end over the last objective hex.
I recommend using starshells as the German player, as I conserved mine, and ended up not using them all.
Good scenario.
Recommended..

Thanks, Dale!
01-22-2016, 09:54 AM,
We have registered to test at H2H section.
01-22-2016, 03:07 PM,
Zap,

Thank you, can't wait to get your and your opponent's feedback.

Anyone else out there interested?

Schwerpunkt75
01-22-2016, 05:47 PM,
Thank You Zap and Cam for stepping in to test this fine scenario! Salute

Anyone else, indeed?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-23-2016, 01:45 AM,
(01-22-2016, 03:07 PM)Schwerpunkt75 Wrote: Zap,

Thank you, can't wait to get your and your opponent's feedback.

Anyone else out there interested?

Schwerpunkt75

I'll volunteer - but I need a willing opponent.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.-Umberto Eco
01-23-2016, 02:01 AM,
Thank you nim8or, appreciated Salute

Would you have a friend you could ask to play this directly? I am more than happy to help you to register the test game and to get going.
Visit us at CSLegion.com