• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Suggestions for improving the strength dialog
01-02-2016, 12:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 04:03 AM by Ricky B.)
Suggestions for improving the strength dialog
Hi !

How are we supposed to know what forces will be available during a scenario ?

Playing the Tutorial #2 (Utah) i really dont know what forces will be available to me during the scenario.
While i can open the "Units -> Scheduled" Dialog i only see that countless ships (LCVP) will arrive but i cant see what units they will transport.
The "Strength" and "Show Organization" Dialogs are painful to read and dont help anyway because they include a ton of unnecessary (not present) units.
How are we supposed to know what forces will be available during a scenario, how can i see what units ships and planes will carry ?

Here is my idea for a improved strength dialog:
[Image: PRjhfBs.png]

What do you think ?
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2016, 02:27 AM,
RE: How are we supposed to know what forces will be available ?
I use the strength dialog, doesn't cause me any pain :-). As only units that are present show any strength it is easy enough to find those units in the game, and it goes down to company level, I figure it gives me exactly what I want to see. After that, I simply wait for the forces to arrive in their landing craft (I don't think their is any plane transport?) and then you can see the units involved. I have never felt a need to see the individual platoons involved prior their presence and am not aware of anything you are missing.

I suppose depending on what you want to see, you could open the scenario in the editor and remove each reinforcement and check the landing craft, but that I would bet you agree is even more painful. Sorry don't have any further suggestions beyond the strength dialog, I really don't think there is anything besides that and not sure how to even describe a method to do something different so that is could be edited. Maybe if you can describe what you would like to be able to do, step by step (I work as a Business Analyst in IT and have to gather details like this from users in order to get them what they want in a program), then it could be considered for adding.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-02-2016, 02:54 AM,
Its still very user unfriendly at the moment and painfully because there is no highlighting or different colors.
I think my "photoshoped" Strength Dialog would be a great improvement, should be easy to code into the engine as its just a windows window in the end...

[Image: PRjhfBs.png]
01-02-2016, 03:44 AM,
Can someone please change the thread title to:
"Suggestions for improving the Strength Dialog"

Thanks
01-02-2016, 03:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 04:00 AM by phoenix.)
I think nothing is easy to code into the engine, Wiggum, as that requires the involvement of JT himself, who has his time taken up with military contracts that put dinner on the table....
01-02-2016, 04:04 AM,
RE: Suggestions for improving the strength dialog
(01-02-2016, 03:44 AM)wiggum Wrote: Can someone please change the thread title to:
"Suggestions for improving the Strength Dialog"

Thanks

Done I believe you could too through full edit.
[Image: exercise.png]
01-02-2016, 04:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 04:09 AM by wiggum.)
RE: Improving the strength dialog
(01-02-2016, 03:58 AM)phoenix Wrote: I think nothing is easy to code into the engine, Wiggum, as that requires the involvement of JT himself, who has his time taken up with military contracts that put dinner on the table....

Its really easy to do if you have access to the engine and its documentation (and knowledge of how everything is connected).
https://youtu.be/QS_WtTbI-Rc

Should be the same amount of work as creating the Opportunity Fire Dialog.
If JT himself is busy iam sure others can do it, hell, give me acess to the core of the engine and the documentation and i will do it... Smile