• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Differences in these Panzergrenadier Units
12-20-2015, 08:33 AM,
Differences in these Panzergrenadier Units
Noticed the following when playing Hill 285 - Clipping the Hedges. One has an Assault value of 18; the other 9. Neither are Pioneers as far as I can see.

1. How is the first group so loaded that their Assault value is really high? I see their Hard value is also very high so Panzerfausts, etc.?

2. Is there anyway I can tell from the counters themselves?

Thanks,

Gerry

Attached Files
.jpg   PzGr.jpg (Size: 155.06 KB / Downloads: 16)
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2015, 08:46 AM,
RE: Differences in these Panzergrenadier Units
The higher assault value unit is a standard PzGr unit, armed with rifles, assault rifles, etc. The second is a Machinegun unit. So it has few rifles, being based around the MGs for the higher level formation. It doesn't have the close in fighting ability of the other unit, they are most effective while in place firing rather than dragging their MGs while moving forward.

As to the counters, I can't tell from your images but the MG should have a heavy black border on the left, while the normal PzGR does not. That is how mine are.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-20-2015, 09:09 AM,
Thanks Ricky. When you say assault rifles does that mean MP38/MP40 SMGs. I am probably using the wrong names.
12-20-2015, 09:19 AM,
I just meant general terms, whatever specific weapons the SS Panzergrenadiers carried at that time. I don't know what specific models may have been used in Normandy, MP43s maybe, but they had some in the PzGr units I am sure, and submachine guns, various single man high firepower short range weapons.
12-20-2015, 10:14 AM,
(12-20-2015, 09:19 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I just meant general terms, whatever specific weapons the SS Panzergrenadiers carried at that time. I don't know what specific models may have been used in Normandy, MP43s maybe, but they had some in the PzGr units I am sure, and submachine guns, various single man high firepower short range weapons.

This is a link to a free downloadable pdf that some may find useful.  It is a 1944 US Army handbook on the German Army that contains tables listing the equipment down to platoon level.  Accuracy-wise I think for the most part it is relatively close but it is a "period" piece.

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/ww...mber22.pdf
12-20-2015, 10:24 AM,
Thanks Al, great document.
12-20-2015, 10:28 AM,
I also like it because it talks about German tactics as well and does provide combat examples that the US Army encountered.

Kind of a side note if you look at the cover it wasn't officially "declassified" until 1987 - 43 years later!
12-20-2015, 04:47 PM,
Thanks Al.