• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help for a Newcomer - Clipping the Hedges.
12-19-2015, 08:48 AM,
Help for a Newcomer - Clipping the Hedges.
First PB game and first JT game I have played in a long time. I earned an Axis Major Defeat in this scenario, I forgot smoke so that would have saved me a PzIVH and some men too. All the Amis in the hex were Isolated and Disrupted, except for the Guns, at the end. So maybe I wasn't far off. Lots of bocage so limited visibility in this scenario.

Some questions:

1. The victory hex is in a field (-10%) with a Trench (-30%). Three Pz IVH had No Effect firing from two hexes away. Is that normal.

2. One PzIVH firing adjacent to the hex had no effect.

3. I cannot remember the 60mm and 80mm Mortars doing anything either. 

So obviously I need to forget about Kursk with those bunkers.

Any help appreciated.

Gerry
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2015, 11:22 AM,
RE: Help for a Newcomer - Clipping the Hedges.
What takes some getting used to is that units are smaller than they tended to be in Kursk, and that hedgerow hexsides give a -50% modifier to direct fire. Direct fire, particularly against entrenched defenders, thus tends to have No Effect results and even if they're in clear terrain, the -50% might be enough for No Effect.

The mortars are really small units, they're unlikely to do much considering the -40% modifier to incoming fire.
12-19-2015, 01:24 PM,
Thanks for your help. I didn't know about the -50% and cannot find it in the manual.

Any ideas how to conquer such a stronghold other than continually hitting it (assume Fatigue will add up) and assaulting it. I had it surrounded with lots of PzGr next door. All enemy were disrupted except for 2 Guns in the hex so maybe I was closer than I think?
12-19-2015, 04:46 PM,
Hexsides should have no affect against indirect fire. Or maybe I am wrong about that?
12-19-2015, 05:28 PM,
(12-19-2015, 04:46 PM)Sgt_Rock Wrote: Hexsides should have no affect against indirect fire. Or maybe I am wrong about that?

I think you are right but my Mortars are low caliber so they are not hurting any entrenched infantry.
12-20-2015, 01:05 AM,
Depending on the mortar units and how the OOB was set up, you may be able to combine the smaller mortar units with others in the same formation and make a better IF unit. I would have to look to see if that is possible in this case.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-20-2015, 04:28 AM,
(12-20-2015, 01:05 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Depending on the mortar units and how the OOB was set up, you may be able to combine the smaller mortar units with others in the same formation and make a better IF unit. I would have to look to see if that is possible in this case.

Rick

They are off-board. Don't know does that matter in terms of combining? Both are from the same Regiment but one is an 81mm and the other 120mm. 

The scenario is interesting as you have so little time, 6 turns. With the bocage it takes 3 turns just to get adjacent to the enemy.

Thanks.
12-20-2015, 05:12 AM,
Ah, won't work if they are off map, or different unit types, which the different weapon sizes mean different unit types.
[Image: exercise.png]
12-20-2015, 05:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2015, 05:51 AM by ComradeP.)
The scenario is rough for the Germans, and as I had feared when it was revealed the Allies can rotate a good stack in and out of the hex to have a good chance of winning. There seem to be some single big objective short scenarios that will depend on disrupting the defenders in a timely manner.

The effect of hedgerow hexsides would've been nice to read about in the manual, including an explanation on how they block LOS (they seem to block LOS after 2 hexes).

You can find hexside information in the parameter data file.
12-20-2015, 06:34 AM,
The only thing I see in the manual is about tanks becoming Vulnerable when crossing those hexsides - maybe I missed something. This should definitely be in the manual given there are so many scenarios with bocage (which is expected of course).

Anyway I will have many more questions soon! Thanks for you patience!

Gerry